Need some help please

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I'm not one to double post--I already put this in the food section, but thought it might get more traffic here.....so.....

Well, after repeated bouts of diarrhea, the vet thinks that the fat content of Canidae (All life stages) may be too much for Traveler's system at this point. She suggested researching foods to find something with a lower crude fat content. I have been looking through info, but I get overwhelmed by this!

I did find Canidae Senior--but I'm not sure which direction to go in here. Anyone want to help me out?

Right now I feed both Trav and Baxter the Canidae ALS. I could feed two different foods--but it would be preferable if I could find something to suit them both. Trav is 12 and Baxter is 3. Is this a realistic thought?

HELP!

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Bax, have you considered asking Mordy? I'm not very good with low fat foods, I would just end up doing a google search, whereas she may just have some great suggestions off the top of her head. Or even check out her site to see if she has fat content on there? www.dogfoodproject.com. ? Just an idea, good luck!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
My last dog Odin had the exact same issue. We had to take him off of puppy food when he was only 3 months old because the high fat content was giving him a lot of stomach issues. A lower-fat adult food worked great for him.

That senior food might be best for Traveler. But I dunno if you can keep both dogs on the same diet, though.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
So, like I said, I don't know much about low fat foods, but I see a significant decrease in both fat and protein in the Candiae platinum, would this be a problem? or would this be okay for Traveler? I really don't know. :/

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Bax, have you considered asking Mordy? I'm not very good with low fat foods, I would just end up doing a google search, whereas she may just have some great suggestions off the top of her head. Or even check out her site to see if she has fat content on there? www.dogfoodproject.com. ? Just an idea, good luck!
I did look on that sight--I get so confused though! How would I access Mordy if I wanted to do that? ( I don't "know" her--I know many of you who have been on chaz for a long time do). Any help is appreciated. I want to be sure the lower protein wouldn't be an issue--but I don't know!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I might try the Innova Senior or reduced fat...then again, it might just be the Canidae itself. Virgo had issues on it that cleared up for good once she was switched back to Innova.

Jynx

I just switched my two tubby aussies to Nutro Natural Choice, weight management, chicken based, it's got 6% fat content, the lowest I was told, on the shelves..

Diane

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Don't you think EVO RM has too much protein and fat for a 12 year old dog? Protein is at 42% and fat 22%. I would worry about that much for an older dog. EVO reduced fat has 52% protein and 15% fat. :eek: Holy smokes.

Innova Senior has 24% and 10% and Innova reduced fat has 18% and 8%. I'd be more inclined to try Innova reduced fat than any of their other options, I think.

I'd think that the reduced amount you feed would make a difference, along with the lack of carbohydrates added into the mix of nutrients. You have to look at the entirety of the nutritional package, rather than singling out one or two components :)

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Yea, I understand that. But that's a big switch for an older dog... all that extra fat AND protein and no carbs...? I dunno. Just throwing it out there.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
oy--see why I am confused? I think tomorrow I will really do some researching and then check it over with my vet before buying anything. Right now we are using a prescription food and it has 10% fat (I think)---ugh. I am so not good with math and numbers!

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Yeah the Innova reduced fat, has less than what you are feeding now, as far as fat content..

I would at LEAST try that :)

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Bax, vets, typically, are one of the WORST places to get advice about feeding, sadly. There is very little in the way of education on that subject in veterinary schools, and it is usually in the form of seminars given by major manufacturers. :(

Check out Mordy's site, www.dogfoodproject.com and another good site for info is www.greatdanelady.com.
I agree with this, however, there is a vet who has taken over the practice--and she is open and knowledgeable about food options--so I feel I can at least run some ideas past her. I will also check into those sources--I really don't wan to put Trav through too many changes--and she has been having issues off and on now since Dec.---after that first incident that scared us all so badly. Now it just seems her body can't tolerate the food--so this is kind of guess work at this point. :(

You're lucky to have a vet like that! I'd love to see more of them start to recognize the importance of that field of knowledge . . . AND practice with more of an emphasis on preventive vetting, rather than billing :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.