Breed books

Zoom

Twin 2.0
What do you think is the best or one of the best breed books? I know and am in the process of apropriating "The NEW Encyclopedia of Dogs" by Bruce Fogel, but I like to have a variety because every editor leaves out some breeds that other editors include. Plus, I have an 'in' with a bookstore and can get these books for hella cheap.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
check out dogwise.com, they have a large variety. write down the ISBN number and let your "source" order them for you. :)

sorry i'm not of much more help, but many of my own books are in german and i'd think that is useless to you. :D

bubbatd

I personally think you can get all you want to know through the internet....AKC has every breed listed.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
The Dog Bible by I forgot who:p I'll check on that. It has 300 breed profiles (including those not recognized by the AKC OR the UKC) plus some info on behavior and treating sicknesses. Basically it has everything:p

Zoom

Twin 2.0
bubbatd said:
I personally think you can get all you want to know through the internet....AKC has every breed listed.
But I need bookshelf filler! :D I'm a book-a-phile, I love everything about books. Except for the raping of virgin forests to provide the paper for books...:rolleyes:

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
I have "The NEW Encyclopedia of Dogs" by Bruce Fogel, and The Dog Bible also mentioned.

"The NEW Encyclopedia of Dogs" by Bruce Fogel is the way to go. It is awesome, exellent, brilliant. It has MILLIONS of breeds in it, including breeds begining with X that I've never even heard of. This book is a must have for any dog lover, I find that the bible is very informative also but I've noticed alot of editorial errors in it like missed out words and spelling mistakes. I might just be a freak but personally that puts me off believing the information in a book, especially one I spent $40 on.

Bruce fogle is exellent though. I was given the book and I love it, Its got so much info in I haven't read it all yet but its just so good. It has brilliant colourful pictures in too. Information about where dogs originated from, dog health conditions and stuff. I totally recommend it, cannot stress enough how much!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've read through that one many a time, but couldn't really afford it. It's at the top of my list.

bubbatd

Zoom, I understand !!! I've got at least a yard of dog books on my shelf.!

g00ber

Dirty Dawg...
I have a really awesome dog breeds book called THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF DOG BREEDS (different to the encyclopedia mentioned above) By Juliette Cunliffe. It is one of best (if not the best) dog breed books i have come across. The book features nearly 400 breeds with some really rare ones like the Yugoslavian Herder and Hollandse Smoushond, both of which I had never heard of before reading this book. There are colour photos of all the breeds and and information about everthing from the history of dogs and early veterinary treatment to dogs and royalty , and dogs in film and theatre.

What makes it even better is that I picked it up for a bargain $20.00AUD!! What more can you ask for :D :D

Mordy

Quigleyfied
bubbatd said:
AKC has every breed listed.
meh. the AKC website has every AKC recognized breed listed, whereas the world canine organization (FCI) recognizes 335 - and not even that covers all the breeds in existance. :)

it never hurts to have a few good books on hand.

Members online

No members online now.