Agility training

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
That's fabulous. Those big events can be so over-whelming. Meg got about three obstacles in during her first run at Cynosport and just about stopped dead and was staring around the coliseum, and up and up at the seating.

Hopefully it was just the atmosphere and environment, and she will go back to being herself at your regular trials. Congratulations on going, running, and finding your own successes!
Thank you for the kind words and the anecdote, BB. I was pretty bummed at first, but then I watched the video of our first run, realized it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was, and talked to others whose dogs have had the same issues their first times there (or at similar events). It was nice that everyone I spoke to was so supportive. I am glad I went at least once. And if it doesn't mess with her trialing up here I wouldn't be completely opposed to going again one of these years :)

BostonBanker

First trial in about 3 months tomorrow. Basically a test run - just CPE, in which both of the dogs are at really low levels since we do it so rarely. I intentionally kept Gusto back at level 1; hopefully we can get some confident, fast, speed-circle type runs in. We've been to this trial site one other time, and it was probably the best he's ever run (and Meg ran great there as well). They both really seemed to like the footing. I'm taking him back out in USDAA at the same site in February (assuming this goes okay), so I figure this could be a good lead up to that. Fingers crossed for happy runs.

Meg is going to have a blast. She hasn't seen equipment since her last trial in September, so I took her to barn practice Tuesday. She was so busy growling at me and play-bowing she could barely run. Normally she hates practicing, but clearly absence makes the dog grow fonder ;). I can't wait to run her.

I got a great new video camera for Christmas, and then of course couldn't find my tripod. and the only other person I know at this trial is running right before me in just about every run. Hopefully I can get some taped.

krissy

I got a great new video camera for Christmas, and then of course couldn't find my tripod. and the only other person I know at this trial is running right before me in just about every run. Hopefully I can get some taped.
Just ask random people. I totally do that since I don't know anyone super well yet. Tripod videos are just not as good... you can never get the whole ring. You get over the weirdness of asking random strangers to videotape you. Most agility people are in the same brand of crazy anyway.

We had a fun match last week. Really fun. The ring was really small so we did some very interesting courses... like all tunnels and contacts. Kili totally forgot herself on her first attempt. Blew off the dogwalk (first obstacle) and decided to do her own thing. You know, same ol' stuff. Annoying. I left her there which she didn't like. Put her away with no reward for about 2 minutes and asked if I could put her back in at the end of the rotation. And she was perfectly focused thereafter. Like... really focused. This place has MANY distractions... people walking by with dogs, people fixing things on course, dogs gated in rooms right off the ring. I was really happy with her after the initial mistake. She needs reminders from time to time, but I'm glad I've found the switch that makes the lightbulb go on.

[YOUTUBE]1TuvHfwCDnQ[/YOUTUBE]

Note the tripod filming in the first two runs vs. the "ask a random stranger" filming in the last. lol

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Just ask random people. I totally do that since I don't know anyone super well yet. Tripod videos are just not as good... you can never get the whole ring. You get over the weirdness of asking random strangers to videotape you. Most agility people are in the same brand of crazy anyway.

We had a fun match last week. Really fun. The ring was really small so we did some very interesting courses... like all tunnels and contacts. Kili totally forgot herself on her first attempt. Blew off the dogwalk (first obstacle) and decided to do her own thing. You know, same ol' stuff. Annoying. I left her there which she didn't like. Put her away with no reward for about 2 minutes and asked if I could put her back in at the end of the rotation. And she was perfectly focused thereafter. Like... really focused. This place has MANY distractions... people walking by with dogs, people fixing things on course, dogs gated in rooms right off the ring. I was really happy with her after the initial mistake. She needs reminders from time to time, but I'm glad I've found the switch that makes the lightbulb go on.

[YOUTUBE]1TuvHfwCDnQ[/YOUTUBE]

Note the tripod filming in the first two runs vs. the "ask a random stranger" filming in the last. lol
Wow your training area is very nice!

BostonBanker

So, random agility hint. If your dog hasn't seen an a-frame in six months, it may behoove you to take the time and get it out before going to a trial. Because Gusto definitely hasn't seen one since the trial at the beginning of June.... And he definitely showed that today.

But other than that - he was fabulous. The dog walk is still a work in progress; what I got today was probably as good as I've ever gotten in a trial (and maybe a hair better), but not the speed I really want. But zero signs of stress. Playing on the start line, not getting "stuck" on his contacts or on the start line, zero sniffing. Willing to run ahead to obstacles.

I know it is just Level 1 CPE, but it was without a doubt the most confident he's been at a trial ever. Maybe, just maybe, we are going to make this work.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I would like to start some training with little Lincoln on agility, like acclimation him to some of the obstacles (not the jumps of course because he is still growing) but what other of the obstacles would be ok for him to do? Would he be able to do the dog walk and the teeter? Or would those be too rough on his growing joints? I want to desensitize him to at least the chute and the tunnel so he isn't scared of them once he is old enough. Josefina I didn't introduce to them early and she was scared of the chute and tunnel for a long time and is still scared of the teeter.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I would like to start some training with little Lincoln on agility, like acclimation him to some of the obstacles (not the jumps of course because he is still growing) but what other of the obstacles would be ok for him to do? Would he be able to do the dog walk and the teeter? Or would those be too rough on his growing joints? I want to desensitize him to at least the chute and the tunnel so he isn't scared of them once he is old enough. Josefina I didn't introduce to them early and she was scared of the chute and tunnel for a long time and is still scared of the teeter.
No contacts, he's way too young for that. You can make wobble boards and have him walk on unsteady safe surfaces to prep him. There are tons of things to do foundations-wise before he even sees equipment.

krissy

My boyfriend built me a baby dogwalk/teeter for Kili when she was 16 weeks old, which I used until she outgrew it. You can also buy a FitPaws wobble board. Honestly, before my boyfriend made me my teeter I just used a 2x4 and some cinder blocks.

[YOUTUBE]MGr5YjuUNOE[/YOUTUBE]

Finkie_Mom

Glad you guys had a fun time! She's looking great :D

So, random agility hint. If your dog hasn't seen an a-frame in six months, it may behoove you to take the time and get it out before going to a trial. Because Gusto definitely hasn't seen one since the trial at the beginning of June.... And he definitely showed that today.

But other than that - he was fabulous. The dog walk is still a work in progress; what I got today was probably as good as I've ever gotten in a trial (and maybe a hair better), but not the speed I really want. But zero signs of stress. Playing on the start line, not getting "stuck" on his contacts or on the start line, zero sniffing. Willing to run ahead to obstacles.

I know it is just Level 1 CPE, but it was without a doubt the most confident he's been at a trial ever. Maybe, just maybe, we are going to make this work.
Oh I'm so happy to hear that!!! I hope it continues :D

Masters Jumpers Dog of Canada with two beautiful jumpers runs today :)
Congrats to you both!!!

Finkie_Mom

Even if Jari and I never compete at a high level, at least I've done something right. He was freaking out barking and zooming around me as we were walking in to our private lesson today. Dude loves his agility <3

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Even if Jari and I never compete at a high level, at least I've done something right. He was freaking out barking and zooming around me as we were walking in to our private lesson today. Dude loves his agility <3
That's awesome, I loved it when Feist made the connection between driving up and ring rental barn = agility and she was so excited. Just y'know, confirmation I'm not forcing my dog into something lol.

We've been working on a lot of foundation stuff and I think it's coming along nicely. I got a giftcard to home depot for Christmas so I can build my 2x2s!

[YOUTUBE]9NoakOB3wfE[/YOUTUBE]

k9krazee

The boys start their new rounds of classes on Monday!

Crossbone's class is at a new (earlier) time, so every other week Ken will be taking him---excited and nervous to see how they do!

And Poxhead's class is right after.....I just hope he does well in his crate for the time we're there! And I should probably get him used to the leash...

k9krazee

That's awesome, I loved it when Feist made the connection between driving up and ring rental barn = agility and she was so excited. Just y'know, confirmation I'm not forcing my dog into something lol.

We've been working on a lot of foundation stuff and I think it's coming along nicely. I got a giftcard to home depot for Christmas so I can build my 2x2s!

[YOUTUBE]9NoakOB3wfE[/YOUTUBE]
You're such an inspiration. You're doing such a great job laying a nice foundation! I can't wait to see what you two do together!

Love it when she goes through the center of the wings too :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Shoot.

So here's the deal. My club's trial closes TODAY. I will be working the trial some.

Do I enter Summer or not? She's retired but we need 1 Q in snookers to title. She's had great days lately. No seizures in a month. Haven't practiced in 2 months. I am debating entering her in JUST snookers on Sunday. I ran her in teacup in November and she had a blast.

Crazy? I'm not sure what to do.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
LOL talk about WEIRD ... one of my old teachers is in my class with me now! She was horrible and treated me horribly, even going so far as calling me stupid to my face! But I dont think she remembers me ... or if she does, she hasnt said anything.

Anyway, she is still her old, bossy self because she is buzzing around trying to tell everyone what they should be doing with their dogs and even went so far as to talk behind the back of another class member about how their dog was "abused" because she (the dog) was having an off day and had to to some of the course on leash. I dont know if she meant that the dog was abused before the current owner got it or not, she never clarified. She told me that "Agility is a sport of speed and I need to make my dog go faster" so like an idiot I listened to her and Josefina shut down and stopped because like I knew, she wasn't ready to speed up. After class I asked my instructor about it and he says that she will naturally speed up when she gets more confident, how she is already faster than she was and to not worry about it (I didnt tell him someone in the class told me I should be going faster, I just mentioned it).

I know its not my place but I feel like she should be letting the instructor do what he is getting paid for. Also, she called Lincoln some other breed (mom doesnt remember what it was) and she was like "no, hes a MAS" to which she replied. "Oh yeah I knew that ... because I know dogs!" :rolleyes:

Members online