The dog musing/vent thread

I bet you can guess what my vote is going for :D

Is it Gumby Shar Pei?

Their dogs are absolutely gorgeous!!!
What a surprise :p

And it is! I've been in contact with them for quite some time now, this really would be a dream litter.

I've completed the sizable app for the Catahoula, haven't sent it in yet for some reason...did send off an email trying to figure out when I could meet the houndy girl. I really prefer doing it that way, meeting a dog and then applying rather than the other way around. For some reason I'm thrown by signing anything before meeting the dog, even if it's just an application saying I'm not a dog-killer.

I hope I get some sort of strong feeling when I meet the gals, because right now I'm stumped.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I met a dog yesterday. A intact male Chocolate Labrador, same age as Abrams. Their brains functioned on much the same wavelength (I distracted him in to holding still while being restrained by poking his nose and making a BOOP! noise. He looked at me like I was a amazing LOL). And I suddenly realized that Abrams isn't as much of a pain in the ass as I thought. This dog made Abrams look sane. He had NO concept of holding still, was just a whirlwind of activity, and literally had no self control at all. Brilliant temperament, but his lack of inhibition was causing both him and us to stress out.
Abrams' self control and responsiveness is something we've been working on since day one, and it is still a struggle sometimes - but I got a glimpse of what he'd be like without that work and it made me feel better about myself and realize that while he's not perfect, he is much better than he could be!

I also realized I'm likely insane and a complete sucker for Retrievers, because had his owner asked, "Do you want my dog?" I would have said, "Yes, please." LOL

I did the extremely responsible, logical, mature thing and let Astro pick which dog I would email about next: I wrote down each option on a piece of paper and set them all down in front of him. He very deliberately reached out his paw and put it on the Catahoula's name, so I sent in the application for her.

I am an actual adult, I swear.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I did the extremely responsible, logical, mature thing and let Astro pick which dog I would email about next: I wrote down each option on a piece of paper and set them all down in front of him. He very deliberately reached out his paw and put it on the Catahoula's name, so I sent in the application for her.

I keep offering my hands to Payton asking him which future puppy he would like.
I believe this is a very logical way to make decisions.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty

Shar Pei are very wise...he won't steer you wrong :D

If you do end up with a Gumby pup though I expect all the pictures!!!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
What a surprise :p

And it is! I've been in contact with them for quite some time now, this really would be a dream litter.

I've completed the sizable app for the Catahoula, haven't sent it in yet for some reason...did send off an email trying to figure out when I could meet the houndy girl. I really prefer doing it that way, meeting a dog and then applying rather than the other way around. For some reason I'm thrown by signing anything before meeting the dog, even if it's just an application saying I'm not a dog-killer.

I hope I get some sort of strong feeling when I meet the gals, because right now I'm stumped.
I know that Astro probably just picked the 'houla because she's gorgeous. So I just wanted to pipe in quick.

Two years ago, we were in the same boat. I was ready to add another dog and was flip flopping between rescue/breeder. I found Rider and took the dive.

I don't want to say I regret it, because I don't. Not in any way. He's a great boy, he's taught me a whole lot that has helped me prepare for Tulsa and many future additions. However, I really do wish that I had just waited and gone the breeder route. Obviously I ended up in a super great place with both a rescue AND a breeder dog, but if I had ended up with just Tulsa we would only have two dogs right now.

Just my $.02. I in no way am saying breeder > rescue. AT ALL. I hope it doesn't come off this way. But if you have specific goals and you really feel this litter is right for you, take that route. Because even though rescue dogs are great and many people reach great accomplishments with them I really do feel that puppy is the best way to go.

/puts on flame suit

Thanks for making me feel more normal in my decision-making tactics guys :cool:

I know that Astro probably just picked the 'houla because she's gorgeous. So I just wanted to pipe in quick.

Two years ago, we were in the same boat. I was ready to add another dog and was flip flopping between rescue/breeder. I found Rider and took the dive.

I don't want to say I regret it, because I don't. Not in any way. He's a great boy, he's taught me a whole lot that has helped me prepare for Tulsa and many future additions. However, I really do wish that I had just waited and gone the breeder route. Obviously I ended up in a super great place with both a rescue AND a breeder dog, but if I had ended up with just Tulsa we would only have two dogs right now.

Just my $.02. I in no way am saying breeder > rescue. AT ALL. I hope it doesn't come off this way. But if you have specific goals and you really feel this litter is right for you, take that route. Because even though rescue dogs are great and many people reach great accomplishments with them I really do feel that puppy is the best way to go.

/puts on flame suit
I appreciate this. Honestly I have had related thoughts. My rescue dog, as everyone has heard me complain about on this forum, is a complicated fellow. There are more guarantees with the litter route and if it's such a great litter why would I pass on that?

Nevertheless I think I will go ahead with meeting the houndy girl on Tuesday. Haven't heard back after sending in the 'Houla app but it's been less than 24 hours. I think I can say with certainty that I will only take home one of the rescues if she seems easy - no major issues, gets along flawlessly with Astro, no fearfulness. I already have complicated, this time around I want something more predictable.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Thanks for making me feel more normal in my decision-making tactics guys :cool:

I appreciate this. Honestly I have had related thoughts. My rescue dog, as everyone has heard me complain about on this forum, is a complicated fellow. There are more guarantees with the litter route and if it's such a great litter why would I pass on that?

Nevertheless I think I will go ahead with meeting the houndy girl on Tuesday. Haven't heard back after sending in the 'Houla app but it's been less than 24 hours. I think I can say with certainty that I will only take home one of the rescues if she seems easy - no major issues, gets along flawlessly with Astro, no fearfulness. I already have complicated, this time around I want something more predictable.
Best of luck!
I am in the same boat as meepitsmeagan with Cobain, Rigby and the prospective new pup. Rigby has been a learning experience, to say the least.

Are both of the adult dogs that you're looking at in foster-based rescues? I ask as that way you've at least got a better chance of knowing the issues before hand. A lot of Rigbys issues were not readily apparent or known by the staff when I first got her due to the shelter environment.
Her fear of people and food aggression, while totally understandable given the background, were virtually non existent until about week 2-3 of being home.

Best of luck!
I am in the same boat as meepitsmeagan with Cobain, Rigby and the prospective new pup. Rigby has been a learning experience, to say the least.

Are both of the adult dogs that you're looking at in foster-based rescues? I ask as that way you've at least got a better chance of knowing the issues before hand. A lot of Rigbys issues were not readily apparent or known by the staff when I first got her due to the shelter environment.
Her fear of people and food aggression, while totally understandable given the background, were virtually non existent until about week 2-3 of being home.
Thanks! And yes, both are in foster/home/not shelter situations. The houndy girl is at a rescue that works with prisoners, a lot of their dogs are CGC prepped and they have a trainer and evaluator. The Catahoula is at a rescue that helps military families find homes for their dogs.

I am getting so nervous but excited, I really just want the meetings to happen so I can make a decision! I poked Astro in his neck wrinkles this morning and demanded to know whether he wants a big sister or a baby brother (tend to prefer boy dogs overall, so that would probably be my pick of a litter). He didn't answer this time, stupid dog....

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I just got confirmation that the breeder I hope to get my next pup from wont require me to neuter him until later in his life, which is awesome.

Unfortunately, she just spayed the girl I really wanted a pup from, and my second choice is likely to be close behind as they are close in age.

So superficial, but I really wanted a blue merle boy.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I just got confirmation that the breeder I hope to get my next pup from wont require me to neuter him until later in his life, which is awesome.

Unfortunately, she just spayed the girl I really wanted a pup from, and my second choice is likely to be close behind as they are close in age.

So superficial, but I really wanted a blue merle boy.
Oooh what breed/breeder??

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Oooh what breed/breeder??
Border Collie of course ;)
Ideally, I'm going to get a pup from Hob Nob, I've been a little on the obsessed side with the dogs she produces.
Plus my Mom foolishly said she would not only pay for the pup, but drive down to meet her dogs in person once I completed my degree. And that's coming up oh so soon.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Border Collie of course ;)
Ideally, I'm going to get a pup from Hob Nob, I've been a little on the obsessed side with the dogs she produces.
Plus my Mom foolishly said she would not only pay for the pup, but drive down to meet her dogs in person once I completed my degree. And that's coming up oh so soon.
Yay! Border Collies are always the right choice ;)

When are you looking to get Hob Nob BC?

And I'm jealous all of you guys are getting dogs,or have puppies. I need a dog like bad. If anyone is getting tired of their dog, just sent it over here. We can negotiate what you'll get it return

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I am friends with Jan on FB just to drool over her pups! if I decide to go the BC route, she's definitely my first choice.. you lucky duck!

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Yay! Border Collies are always the right choice ;)

When are you looking to get Hob Nob BC?

And I'm jealous all of you guys are getting dogs,or have puppies. I need a dog like bad. If anyone is getting tired of their dog, just sent it over here. We can negotiate what you'll get it return
It wont be until at least May 2015, maybe later depending on where my life is at. So we've still got a while :p

I am friends with Jan on FB just to drool over her pups! if I decide to go the BC route, she's definitely my first choice.. you lucky duck!

I follow her and the Hob Nob page, just total love for her dogs.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Always fun taking dogs to the vet. Just doing annuals, nothing special. Mia acts like it is killing her and she is depressed and Summer is the wildest thing you've ever seen.

The vet tech hadn't met them before and thought Summer was Mia because she was so wild and she didn't expect a 10 and some odd dog to be that wild.

I believe the vet's words were 'Summer is just a ball of energy'

Yep. Yep that's my old dog. I should probably try to get her to behave better at the vet but I'd rather deal with managing a dog that wants to jump on everyone, climb the furniture, and run in circles all over the place than a dog that is terrified. It doesn't help that everyone baby talks her and gets her all worked up and are fine with her jumping all over them.

She's a nut though.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
My neighbor keeps letting there intact male dog run around the neighborhood. It's seriously getting on my nerves. I'm not aware of any intact females, but, you never know. What happens if that female is in heat,& they tie. What happens if that female gets pregnant by your dog.

They don't even look for there dog, others do.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
My neighbor keeps letting there intact male dog run around the neighborhood. It's seriously getting on my nerves. I'm not aware of any intact females, but, you never know. What happens if that female is in heat,& they tie. What happens if that female gets pregnant by your dog.

They don't even look for there dog, others do.
How is the AC/Bylaw where you are? I'd definitely make a report about if it's been an ongoing issue

Members online