Greyhound Puppy Possibility-Pros/Cons

It sounds like your living arrangements are secure. No reason you would ever have to rent....personally I never have and never plan to. If I were you, I would do it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Everyone's opinions so far have been great, I really like hearing the different insights and experiences you all have.

This I think is my biggest worry when I think 10 years down the line.

But, that being said, I don't want to wait five years to fill my cuddle dog hole. I don't want to wait five years to add the dog that's going to be my lower key dog. I like the spacing better but that's a long time with an absence of something I very much love.

I didn't expect to have such an issue not having a less intense, larger cuddle bug of a dog that's willing to do stuff still but Kaylee being where she's at has really given me a taste of how much I don't like being without it.

Most of you guys are pretty much saying most of what I've been thinking. I just feel like I'm going to regret not jumping on this if I don't.
I think that answers your question :)

In my experience renting with two dogs under 60ish or so lbs is fairly easy to find. Not as easy as with a 30 lb or less dog but very doable. 3 dogs makes things a lot harder in my experience. I've only seen one place around here that allows 3 animals. And most the private landlords don't allow pets period. There is a huge renters market now and landlords can be picky. I was very lucky to find a pet friendly house with a yard. And the only reason I did was because the landlord was a family friend.
I don't mean to be...dismissive? and I was serious when I said real reasons and different points of views, but it's really not something I'm worrying about much. I've been looking on and off for years at places to keep an idea about price/dog friendliness etc. and while finding a place won't be the easiest thing, from what I can tell it'll be doable. I'm not on a time constraint and if ever I was again, supportive family who could watch a lower key greyhound for awhile (especially since it's a breed my mom is hoping to get for herself one day).

And the breeder, well I like her a lot, I really like the dog she's breeding, the dog is a great mix of blood and has everything I was looking for, the fact that the breeder is a big proponent of late and alternative altering is huge, I had a hard time finding a breeder I liked, a real hard time. It feels right?

ETA: And yes, I'm realizing how slanted my posts are right now :rofl1: I think that's telling me what direction I'm leaning.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
When I was looking both at getting Summer and Mia I posted on here and had quite a few tell me why I shouldn't. Ultimately I knew it was something I'd be fine with overcoming so got the dogs anyways. Only you will know if its rigt and if you are ok with the possible downsides. By all intents and purposes Mia was an impulse buy and probably not the smartest move but I wouldn't trade it at all.

Last edited:

SaraB

I always forget how supportive your family is with this sort of thing. I know we talked before about my issues with adding a third dog in my own household and how difficult it would've been without Tim for support. I always forget that you have that support in your household too, which is awesome. I never would've had that living with my parents.

I want to snuggle this beast when you get him. And pictures, lots of pictures.

By your pros and cons, I would say you all ready decided...but I say go for it, though I am known to be a bad influence. :)

As a Greyhound person I would love to know which breeder you are wanting a pup from. :) I had given some suggestions to a Chaz member several months back and she said she would pass them on to you so I was curious if it was one of my suggestions. :p

I think that you have already made up your mind. ;)

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I just wanted to comment on the age difference thing.

All four of my dogs are 2 years apart. Ozzy is 7, Enzo is 5, Indy is 3 and Jones is about to be one.

You really have to factor in breed life expectancy, and I was fairly certain grey's live a long time, so it's a possibility that they'll all end up old together, which can definitely be hard.

With my guys, it's hard to tell. Going by Ozzy's breeds and general hardiness, I would be comfortable saying he could make it to his late teens barring any unforeseen accidents or things like cancer. Going strictly by Enzo's breed, she may make it to mid teens. She may make it later simply because of keeping her fit and active. Indy, I'm fairly certain barring cancer will make it to mid teens, and Jones as well. But that gives me a two year gap in between each dog being "really really old"

Of course, they could all "senior" near the same time, but I feel comfortable with a two year gap enough that it doesn't bother me too much.

So after all my leaning and being pretty sure I decided I'm going to pass on a puppy right now.

I don't like the rush to a decision feeling I'm getting. I don't like the idea of regretting it.

My plan is to let the year settle, get the job squared away, deal with Kaylee being gone and start looking for a different breeder and looking for a puppy in a year or a little less, spring/summer/fall maybe. I would rather it be a planned hunt than a "Decide and quickly"

This is the point where all you sighthound/greyhound people reading this need to pm me breeder ideas pretty please!

So thanks all you guys for your thoughts!

~Tucker&Me~

So after all my leaning and being pretty sure I decided I'm going to pass on a puppy right now.

I don't like the rush to a decision feeling I'm getting. I don't like the idea of regretting it.

My plan is to let the year settle, get the job squared away, deal with Kaylee being gone and start looking for a different breeder and looking for a puppy in a year or a little less, spring/summer/fall maybe. I would rather it be a planned hunt than a "Decide and quickly"

This is the point where all you sighthound/greyhound people reading this need to pm me breeder ideas pretty please!

So thanks all you guys for your thoughts!
You know Linds, I was late to the party and didn't get to add my .02 cents but based on your posts I think you are making the best decision. Another opportunity for a great puppy from a good breeder will come along, and it's definitely best to take your time and not be rushed into such a big decision.

These past two years my family had a HANDFUL of pets die (a dog, a cat, and two parrots) all from age related problems except the cat, and it was a tough year. Hard on the heart, but also terrible on the wallet. Aging pets cost so much in diagnostics and treatment and palliative care... Now that we are left with just a couple young animals, it really opened my eyes to how difficult it can be having pets that enter their senior years at the same time. After the last few years I will be much, much more careful about spacing out ages in the animals I acquire. Our one parrot cost us about $1200 at the end of the day in diagnostics and palliative, and Tucker ended up costing around $5000 in diagnostics, treatment and palliative care. There was nothing more we could do for them, but after that experience the idea of not being able to help one aging animal because of lack of funds after paying for the other animals terrifies me. I can't imagine how heartbreaking that would be, and it's a position I never want to put myself in.

Anyway, I think you are making a smart decision to wait and I know that at the end of the day, you will be that much more excited about bringing home a greyhound puppy when you know it is the right time :)

I sometimes don't like being smart :p But seriously, I feel better now which means I know it was the right decision. And it also gives me the chance to build up to it more, I like the anticipation and it feels better to be looking at a plan for the near future.

Do you not plan on keeping a puppy from the Zip/Didgie litter? That would make 4. Of course, that's also a couple of years away...

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I sometimes don't like being smart :p But seriously, I feel better now which means I know it was the right decision. And it also gives me the chance to build up to it more, I like the anticipation and it feels better to be looking at a plan for the near future.
Glad to hear you are happy with and confident in your decision. Sounds like you are doing the right thing for you and your crew, even if it's the harder choice :)

And yes, being responsible is not fun at all sometimes :p But it pays off in the long run...we hope!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Glad you made a decision you feel right about. I know it's so hard to pass up a good breeding though.

Bamm is 7 and while he isn't necessarily old he does seem to be slowing down already.

Cricket and Joey are probably only a few months apart in age so I'm sure I'm going to more than likely end up dealing with two seniors at the same time later on down the road. I don't regret my decision adding Joey to the family based on that though.

To be honest, I really want another Ibizan now. It's all I ever think about most of the time. I want one I can actually show. I want one that I can eventually run with Joey in coursing so he doesn't have to run alone half the time. We don't run into a lot of beezers at the coursing fields unfortunately and he runs better with competition. I wish we were ready now. My heart is ready right now, but my finances and living situation aren't ready right now and that's been tough. I've had to look away from some really nice litters.

I do have my eyes on a couple pups from a particular line that are turning out real nice. If it all works out I'm hoping at this point to end up with a puppy out of one of them if they turn out to be exactly what I'm looking for with a contract I can stand behind. Of course none of these pups will be bred for at least another 2 more years or so so that is the timeframe I've been giving myself for future beezer at this point. 2 years seems like such a long time right now, but it gives me time to prepare myself and it will give a little more of a gap between age in our crew.

If you were looking at Ibizans I could totally give you a list of breeders that have great dogs. As for greys, I love them so much but don't know a lot of the greyhound breeders to give you some direction. A beezer would totally fit with your crew and they can be pretty cuddly to boot though just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Red Chrome

Im not as worried about age gaps since Hobie and Red were 5 years apart and I lost Red 3 years before Hobie who was the older dog. Red and Judge were 3 years apart. I have a 4 year gap between Judge and LoLa. But will only have a 2 1/2 year gap between LoLa and Exe.

The age gaps at all relative to the situations, IMO.

I am getting Exe and to be honest, I had concerns at first. I was supposed to be adding an AST next and had to back out of a litter. Then deciding whether to keep Sherman or start fresh and buy a different puppy or breed Judge to get the puppy I wanted. It's hard. There are some days watching Sherman work that I wonder if I made the right decision. I know I did in my head and heart but puppy dilemmas suck.

So I talked to the breeder last night and she did say that she's really not sure when her girl is coming into heat and it could be a couple/few months so I'm not writing it off completely.

If it happens that it works out and a puppy would be available Spring/Summer than yay, that would be perfect and make me feel so much better! But I'm going to keep looking around and not angst anymore. But would be super nice if it worked out like that!

If you were looking at Ibizans I could totally give you a list of breeders that have great dogs. As for greys, I love them so much but don't know a lot of the greyhound breeders to give you some direction. A beezer would totally fit with your crew and they can be pretty cuddly to boot though just sayin'.
I really like Ibizans but one of the things I was looking for was large and more laid back.

Members online

No members online now.