Is Hannah a midget?

M

Manchesters

Food

Zoom said:
Manchester-not attacking, but I thought you fed Purina? Or was it Pedigree? I forget...

Yucka: We fed our first dog Ol' Roy for a few years because we didn't know any better and thought the rough ears were just because she was a rescue mutt. Then she got a super UTI and the vet told us to put her on Iams (when it was still decent) and boy was the change dramatic! But there are dogs who do wonderful on garbage for some reason. We've been talking about dog food at work and my boss said that she had tried to feed Innova to her dogs before but it was too rich for them and she went back to whatever cheaper brand she feeds now.
I was feeding Pedigree, but decided to try Maximum Nutrition for about 3 months to see if some coats would clear up.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
well the first two ingredients in Innova (according to the site) are turkey and chicken lol those are two BIG no no's for my dog. he can't have chicken or turkey in his food unless it is in very small amounts. Same with my mothers dog. If she has turkey she is sick for days.

So it seems all dogs are different and the best food for your dog may not be the best food for someone elses dog. have you asked the vet about hannah? I don't think there is anything wrong with her but it would be interesting to see what he/she thinks about the situation. I think she is just growing a steadier, healthier rate.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
gaddylovesdogs said:
julie

There are too many people out there breeding labs, many irresponsibly. There are too many irresponsible breeders that breed to small or too large, with the wrong build....ugh it's frustrating. Hannah is adorable btw.
I've asked my vet and he says she's growing very well, as she should be. I have a feeling that she is just growing slower than the breeder's dogs because his pups are on regular puppy chow, not large breed. Also maybe she will HOPEFULLY not become a moose like most of the labs I see at the vets and petstores and such. We think she's adorable too :D !

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Mordy, is in not ok than to feed her a food made for all life stages? I just switched her but should she be switched back to the large breed puppy formula? I'm TOO confused!!!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
As per your question above.....if someone's dogs are in superb condition, how would you even be able to tell if using another "better" food were giving "better" results.
ok, so the answer would be you don't have a basis of comparison. that's all i wanted to know.

The point of breeding is that it is impossible to tell just how "good" a food is unless a b!tch is RAISED on that food, fed on that food during gestation, and then you see the quality of the newborns condition. Are the newsborns in good weight? Do they have sleek shiney coats. Do they have good bone, and does the dam maintain her weight while lactating. Does she have sufficient milk for the pups, etc, etc, etc. THAT is the only way to judge the quality of a food being fed.
among other things, but for that i don't have to be a breeder myself.

Over the years there have been food that were considered almost miracle treatments for feeding dogs. Food that were widely used that I am sure you never heard of, and I have long since forgotten. But when they were used it was discovered that b!tches aborted pups, b!tches had NO milk for puppies, males were infertile. All kinds of fun things. The ultimate proof of a food goodness is in the breeding of the dogs fed those foods. Gee........isn't that the same thing the food companies do, and call it research???
that's my entire point, there are many companies out there who manufacture poor quality food mthat barely meets the (in my opinion inadequate) AAFCO standards, and stuff like that happens. why do you think there are foods labeled as only suitable for "maintenance"? because they wouldn't support anything but a moderately active adult.

what you can't tell me is that a food made from poor quality industry byproduct is better than those made from whole, good quality ingredients, but i feel like a broken record harping on that since you always ignore that kind of statement anyway. :)

Do the names Carlton Fredericks, Adele Davis, Winfred Shute, Linus Pauling ring any chimes with you? I grew up with them, not by choice, but it gave me an excellent foundation in nutrition. I knew all about carbs, protein, fats, complex carbs, incomplete protein and the like long before becoming involved with dogs. So what you say on your web site is not anything I have not read or heard long before you decided to start your research. It is good that you took the time to compile the info and make it available to those who need it.
yes they do, and not all of them for a particularly positive reason. it's nice that you say you have an understanding of nutrition, really, but i think it's about time you stopped patronizing me and making assumptions about what i do and don't know. i have a professional background in (human) nutrition and i've studied (and still am studying, the work is never done) canine nutrition quite in-depth as well. claiming to know all you do, some of the statements you have made on other nutrition-related threads surprise me even more. maybe you should spend some time and catch up to the latest developments. dwelling in the past doesn't do any good. :)

as you noted, my website has a lot of information, and it's kept simple for a reason - it's intended as a resource for people who don't know much about nutrition and want to feed their dogs better. what use is it to go into more detail when you start losing readers after the first paragraph? much better to provide a resource and the possibility for people to ask follow up questions at their own pace.

I have a slight advantage of having been able to personally observe things that you only have access to thru others written words.
nice ASSumption again. you seem to know more about me than i do. *chuckles*

I am a firm believer in hands on experience.
so am i. but i don't need "hands on" in all situations, a concept you don't quite seem to grasp. if someone contacts me and tells me the life story of their dog's struggles and health issues and i write up a diet plan for them and it works, i don't need to be there. the thanks of the owners who are quite thrilled that their dog is finally problem free is proof enough.

by the way - are you aware that the "maxximum nutrition" food is the same as purina one, just packaged for sale as a store brand by wal mart?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
juliefurry said:
Mordy, is in not ok than to feed her a food made for all life stages? I just switched her but should she be switched back to the large breed puppy formula? I'm TOO confused!!!
if the food is designated "for all lifestages", it's fine.

large breed puppy formulas aren't much more than an effort by the pet food industry to fix the problem they created by manufacturing puppy food, which turned out to be too much nutrition for the large and giant breeds, since it caused them to grow too fast - which isn't healthy.

Adrienne

Look at the mama dogs on Animal Precinct and such...they come in in horrible condition, malnourished, dirty, sometimes sick and still deliver a litter of healthy, shiney, energetic puppies ready to nurse. Your body will provide the fetus with whatever it needs, taking it out of your very bones if it has to to ensure the survival of the puppies. So I can't say that feeding a good food or a bad food has much impact on the puppies. Some can do fine on nothing but garbage and scraps the mama picked up as a stray. So I guess I don't see how a litter's birth and moms lactation can have anything to do with making the claim that a food is good.

Julie, I am glad that you have got Hannah all sorted out! She is so adorable, how do you stand all the cuteness in your househole?!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Adrienne said:
Julie, I am glad that you have got Hannah all sorted out! She is so adorable, how do you stand all the cuteness in your househole?!
It's really hard. I manage though. It's just figure out time to spend with everyone each day. I spend 2 hours of alone time with each dog so my time is pretty tight.

Adrienne

Wow, that's great you are so committed to your critters! I wish I could find that kind of time for my crew, although the dogs get plenty of attention and exercise, just not all at once, it's cumlative throughout the day.
My bunnies would probably enjoy some more quality time with me but they are all pretty aloof as it is, lol.

M

Manchesters

Do the names Carlton Fredericks, Adele Davis, Winfred Shute, Linus Pauling ring any chimes with you? I grew up with them, not by choice, but it gave me an excellent foundation in nutrition. I knew all about carbs, protein, fats, complex carbs, incomplete protein and the like long before becoming involved with dogs. So what you say on your web site is not anything I have not read or heard long before you decided to start your research. It is good that you took the time to compile the info and make it available to those who need it.

yes they do, and not all of them for a particularly positive reason.
I find that statement puzzling. Dr. Carlton Fredericks promoted healthy human nutrition and was one of the first to discuss vitamin deficiency in foods etc. Adele Davis wrote her cookbook....."Let's Eat Right To Keep Fit"...can't see anything non-positive about that. Wilfed (I think it was Wilfed, not Wifred) Shute and his brother were world renown cardiac surgeons who promoted the taking of vitamin E......saying the same things that "scientists" have decided is true just a short while ago.

Linus Pauling preached the use of theraputic doses of vitamin C. He was also a Nobel Prize winning biochemist. He outlived all those who tried to naysay what he said....dying just recently at age 96.

Oh, and the Shutes bred and showed Dobermans, and had fantastic results using vitamin E on their own dogs.

I really don't see anything "unpositive" in their careers, and what they said about nutrition. Except for Adele and her blasted Tiger's Milk......yuck, puteeew!!!!!!!

M

Manchesters

Mordy said:
just as an example, i still remember when iams was actually a quality product, sold only at specialty stores and not competing with kibbles and bits at the local supermarket. 15 years ago i wouldn't have hesitated to recommend iams food or feed it to my own dogs, but that isn't the case any longer. to me it isn't difficult to grasp the concept of change, and the fact that change isn't always for the better, even if a manufacturer slaps a big, fat "new and improved" sticker on the bag.
None of the breeders I knew would ever feed that crummy food. Ever. And the word was that those who did, did not feed it for very long!

M

Manchesters

mordy said:
by the way - are you aware that the "maxximum nutrition" food is the same as purina one, just packaged for sale as a store brand by wal mart?
Incorrect.

Members online

No members online now.