$205 later... Gah..

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Well Riot got his Annuals today..

$205 later Riot is good for 3 yrs with some shots and then good for another year until his annuals! lol

Riot got 4 needles today - two in his shoulder and then one in each hip (the area.. not the specific location lol). On the fourth one he'd had enough and decided to yelp and jump away from the needle. Poor little scared girl lol

Anyways, all is good..

Riot HAS lost weight though.. can you believe this boy only weighs 43 lbs!!

Before Riots vet appointment I did take him to the pet store "Urban Paws" which has ALL high class dog foods and no "crap" sold like in the other stores..
I picked him up some SOlid Gold Puppy forumla food as well as a high quality "Active dog" canned food as well.

I fed that to him today with a mix of his Fromm and he gobbled it ALL down, so HOPEFULLY this will help fatten him up until Jada comes into heat and he looses it again *sigh*

Its all Jadas fault lol

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Well at least you know he is healthy and not at risk for any thing!!! :)

He is only 43 pounds!!!! :yikes: WOW!!! That is only 10 pounds lighter than LIZZIE!!!! :yikes:

Kase

I'm glad he's all healthy and fit :). All that fur is decieving lol, I can't believe he's 43 pounds.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I know! Belgians in general are a "fine boned" breed and shouldn't weigh over 60lbs MAX.. but still lol 43 lbs..

Hes lost so much weight from excessive work and just being a naturally high energy dog.

Also in Riots lines - males tend to keep on the thin side until they are at LEAST 2.5yrs old.. lol

Still.. it bothers me! lol

So for right now, i'm trying my best to feed him WHENEVER I can (morning and night.. possibly a lunch snakc) with the new food that i've bought him.

Hopefully he'll start gaining weight!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Wow! Skinny boy! Millie is just under that and she's like 19" at the shoulder. I hope he gains some weight too. :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Wow. I thought he was much bigger than that! Dakota's tiny to me and he's 38.

Honestly, Riot seems to be at a good weight to me, but then again it's hard to tell with pics of hairy dogs. Of course, "good weight" and "show weight" are two very different things. :rolleyes: I had someone tell me that Dakota needs to be about 45-50lbs for the show ring. He'd be unhappy at that weight, obese and unhealthy. I'll take him skinny, tyvm.

How tall is Riot? Dakota's only about 21".

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Chloe wieghs more than that :D, and like I told you earlier, I "attempted" to measure her and she is around 23" - 24"

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Riot is 24.5" at the shoulder. and for him, 43lbs is better then what he was in prime cottage time! lol

Hes just SOOO active its so hard to KEEP weight on him.. lol

Trust me.. hes a spoiled boy.. very spoiled lol He gains and looses weight SOO quickly its unbelievable.. I wish i could be like that lmao

Hondo hasnt been in the 40lb range since he was like 4 months. Right now he's about 78lbs at 7 months. I really am not a fan of overly large GSD's (even though Caza is large at about 105#) but thats why I chose Hondo besides that fact that I loved his personality I also based my decision on his size. He was the runt but NOOOO he just had to get big. He's the biggest of all the puppies now. Do you know how hard it would be to lift a 100+ pound dog when you are not an amazon women, lol. I think Riot is a perfect size for S&R and Schutzhund. If you really look at it, people who are really into the sport go for scaled down dogs (maybe not as drastic as 43lbs,but somewhere in between 50-80lbs), makes them faster more agile and more portable. I'm not saying big dog cant do it but size does play a role. Embrace your dogs size, and as long as he is eating normally then dont stress. And he's still young, all that excess weight isnt necessary. Active dogs tend to stay lean for their body type.

Melissa_W

Wow, I figured he weighed around 60 lbs or more! Must be that fluffy coat. Kai doesn't look underweight, but the vet said he is. I felt so bad when she told me... the vet tech said "You don't hear that very often." :eek: So, I got some canned Innova to mix with his dry EVO, and he scoffs all his dinner down now... so hopefully he will put on a couple pounds.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Make sure you brush his teeth with the canned food!!

I used to mix Riots food as well and he ended up with a bunch of plaque build up so from the on he gets his teeth brushed daily and its just now starting to go away!

Melissa_W

Make sure you brush his teeth with the canned food!!

I used to mix Riots food as well and he ended up with a bunch of plaque build up so from the on he gets his teeth brushed daily and its just now starting to go away!
Ack! I didn't know that. So it's better to feed dry only? Or is it okay to mix as long as we brush?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
When Riot was a picky anorexic puppy I had no choice but to feed him a mix of dry and wet food - that is what started his plaque on the teeth.

I *think* that if you brush your dogs teeth after EVERY meal you wouldn't have a big problem. They just need that hard kibble scraping along their teeth to clean them.

Raw marrow bones (recreational bones sold by butchers) are great for shiny white teeth. I get mine for 99 cents a pound and they are a huge hit. Not one speck of tarter on my dogs teeth and she ate canned food quite frequently for a while.

She cannot handle the raw diet, but has no problems with the recreational bones.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Marrow Bones! :)

Just make sure you serve them thawed!Dont want a broken tooth! :) ANd DO NOT cook them either! It can cause splintering in them@

Umm Riot *should* technically weigh in around 50 lbs at the moment.. he DID but then, hes sooo energetic its hard to keep weight on him! lol
He'll get there eventually. He isn't *nasty* underweight for his bone structure.. I can feel his ribs right now and the bottom part of his spine - but for most Belgians its the same. They are a rather *thin* breed to start wtih lol Especially when they are youner.

Members online

No members online now.