Would Your Dog Pass?

Slick

Kristina
I think Leo would most likely pass with flying colors, but it would depend on the child they brought in for that portion of the test. If it was a very young, very squirrelly and screamy child, he could fail that section because small children make him nervous. But everything else he would take in stride.
And even the child test, he would just be scared and uncomfortable, but he wouldn't like lunge or anything like that.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
No, Tango would not pass. Strangers are evil on first go around, especially if he has a lap to guard. He's also a resource guarder. Kids are ok as long as they're intelligent about dogs (no grabbing his face/tail/limbs). He loves cats though so at least he'd pass that test!

Overall, I'm REALLY REALLY glad I got him from Sael or I don' think he would have had much of a chance in a rescue.

k9krazee

When I was a teen I volunteered with the animal shelter and desperately wanted a little ACD mix who did not pass his temperament test. I begged and begged and begged the owner of the shelter to let me have him. He had been stuck in a kennel for months and was a young, nippy herder. The day he was euthanized was the saddest day ever and the last day I volunteered for the shelter.

If knew the dog and why they didn't pass the test, I would consider adoption. I definitely wouldn't seek out a dog with issues with people or other dogs (cats and kids I can avoid).

Crossbone probably wouldn't pass a test now....and I'd still adopt him 100x over.

Jack would pass with flying colors. But he'd be a wreck if he had to be in a shelter or kennel situation for too long.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Would your dog pass a shelter temperament test?
Cobain - Yes
Rigby - I sincerely doubt it. Stranger danger.
Oz - Maybe, depends on his mood that day. But being a geriatric beagle who knows
Ruby - Probably, she's a fairly good little dog.

Would you intentionally adopt a dog that didn't "pass" certain portions of the test?
None of these things are really a deal-breaker in a shelter dog for me. I don't care if they aren't stranger-friendly, I don't really care if they're good with kids or cats.
All I ask is that they aren't human aggressive, enjoy training, and tolerate other dogs.

Last edited:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I guess I dont know what it takes to pass but I don't see any reason why any of my dogs would fail any of that. They would likely be nervous but they allow handling,are fine with kids/cats/dogs, no resource guarding etc.

Whether or not I would adopt a dog that didn't pass something is totally dependent on the circumstance. Again I don't know how easy it is to fail...

BostonBanker

I don't know that either of mine would pass every single test, but depending on how stringent the shelter was, both are probably adoptable.

Meg would pass all the human tests (no resource guarding, no stranger issues, no handling issues, fine with kids). She would be questionable with cats, and might not pass the dog test depending on the dog used to test her. I bet she'd be listed as 'best as an only pet'.

Gusto would pass the dog/cat portion fine, doesn't resource guard. A little reserved with new people sometimes, but very non-reactive. He may fail the handling. I've done a ton of work with it, and he no longer head whips when you go to pick him up or anything, but he probably wouldn't be thrilled with strangers grabbing at him.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
Abe would pass but not with dogs on leash.

Zooey would fail big time!

Fig is very very shy but she will only pee if someone does something she doesn't like you would have to push her really far for a growl.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
As a whole?

Kimma - No
Bubbles - Yes
Jari - Yes
Pentti - Yes (but he wouldn't have when I first got him)

The only thing that might be an issue for ALL of them would be cats. They've never lived with cats (I'm allergic, most of my family is allergic), and the only ones they've encountered are the strays in my neighborhood that run in front of them, so prey drive. Not sure how they would deal in another environment.

thehoundgirl

Rudy probably wouldn't.. he was abused before we got him so I could see him shutting down. Buster probably would. Dixie definitely would.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I assume they'd both pass?

The only real issue with would be Abrams. He doesn't tolerate every dog, he tends to bark and posture at new people when he views them as somewhere they aren't supposed to be, and he can get a little testy about his food at times. (I don't think he'd ever bite a person about it, but I could see him tensing up and shoving his face in the food faster if a weird hand thing came up to him and tried to push the bowl away.) But he's a good boy. He's just a better boy for us than he is for strangers. LOL

I imagine they'd both be adoptable, even if they didn't pass every part of the test with flying colors.

If I were to go to a shelter and adopt a dog, I'd want one that is kid/cat/dog safe. If they didn't pass the restraint/handling portion of the test, I'd want to see what their results were. (Wiggling/nipping because they're young and crazy, or seriously freaking out and trying to bite.) If it was something I didn't deem "serious", I'd likely still adopt the dog.

No, she wouldn't pass because she wouldn't tolerate the stranger handling and the loud noises. She might even attempt to nip the stranger... she would pass everything else, though.

Pip wouldn't, I think. He's too shy and he's quick to growl when he's uncomfortable although he's never actually nipped or bitten - just growls. And he's a resource guarder, mostly reformed but a resource guarder nonetheless. He doesn't care about other dogs and he doesn't really have a prey drive, just ignores the cats.

I think Maisy would squeak by. She can sometimes be a jerk with unfamiliar dogs, but she's fine with dogs she knows well and has never actually been in a fight. She'll bully knock dogs over and she'll snark at them, but she's never actually injured another dog. And she's stellar with people and cats.

Squash, I'm not sure. He loves people and dogs. He doesn't resource guard. BUT he has a pretty substantial prey drive towards small animals he doesn't live with. He's killed a woodchuck and countless mice, and while he's fine with OUR cats I'm pretty sure he wouldn't hesitate to hunt an unfamiliar cat.

So yea, I wouldn't necessarily write off a dog who didn't pass, depending on what part and what the dog was like otherwise.

amberdyan

Hugo would probably do pretty well.

He would pass the stranger handling part with no problem. Why? Because he knows no stranger. He won't approach people first, but if you seem interested and hold out your hand to pet him he will basically love you forever.

He is like the opposite of a resource guarder. He will GIVE YOU THIS THINGS if he thinks you'll play with/pet/ talk to him in a baby voice (seriously. He digs it.)

He would probably fail the prey drive section. It's taken us months of work to get him to stop trying to go for every squirrel he sees, and even now it's not even close to 100%. He still gets really riled up about small animals.

He would likely fail the cat section. He thinks cats are big squirrels.

He's GREAT with kids. Gentle, sweet, probably a little to likely to lick the inside of their mouths though. You know. If it was open too long.

I don't know about other dogs. He LOVES other dogs. Other dogs just don't always love him back. He's just kind of... bouncy and in your face.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Yes.
He is great with people and his annoying behavior with other dogs doesn't kick up unless he's happy and in big open areas where there is running.

The poor family would adopt him, take him to the park and discover he is a rude barky jerk :rofl1:

Considering that Fable has passed two shelter temperament tests (both while nursing a litter of puppies), I think she would. She can be a little hand shy, but has never shown aggression towards people and will let a stranger pet her. Fable really shouldn't be with cats, even though I have one. Her prey drive is really strong, but I have a safe management system for them down pat. She is great with other dogs on-leash, and I don't think her problem with dog parks would really be an issue. She has never guarded anything from people, and has only guarded from other dogs with high-value items. One thing about Fable that I never would have imagined is that she is great with kids. She loves them and always asks for attention from them. She is good with people, but I always thought she might be too shy to be around kids. Fable is just a sweet, sweet dog.

I don't think I would seek out a dog that didn't pass a certain part of a temperament test, but I wouldn't write one off because of it. It really depends on the individual dog. I actually tend to like fairly shy dogs, but I when I get a puppy, I will probably look for the craziest, most energetic and playful one. There is not really anything temperament-wise that I would actively avoid in a dog, but I do have other requirements such as size, breed, and energy level (assuming this is from a rescue and not a breeder).

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Would your dog pass a shelter temperament test? Stranger handling, resource guarding, prey drive, getting along with other dogs / kids / cats, strange/loud noises, etc
Would you intentionally adopt a dog that didn't "pass" certain portions of the test?
Harlow:
Stranger Handling-- yes no problem.
Resource guarding-- humans, she would pass no issue. dogs in a strange environment, probably not.
Prey Drive-- most definitely.
Getting along with dogs/kids/cats, strange/loud noises-- potentially no, especially if leashed/she's okay with most kids/fine with cats, no issues with loud noises

Rider:
Stranger Handling-- hell no!
Resource guarding-- humans, maybe. food wouldn't be an issue, but something higher value he may growl. dogs in a strange environment, probably would guard as well.
Prey Drive-- fail.
Getting along with dogs/kids/cats, strange/loud noises-- would pass/god. no kids/ok with cats if managed appropriately, would fail the sound thing miserably

Tulsa:
Stranger Handling-- yes no problem. she would kiss them to death.
Resource guarding-- she would pass no problem. only time she guards is a little bit when drive is on and she's got "her" toy. non-issue when redirected appropriately.
Prey Drive-- hmm... she's definitely got it, but not out to injure at this point. motion is fun to chase, basically.
Getting along with dogs/kids/cats, strange/loud noises-- potentially no, she's having some fear issues with large dogs approaching her/great with kids/ok with cats with management, startles initially, but recovers super quickly and continued loud noises don't bother her

Would I intentionally adopt a dog that didn't pass certain portions? Loaded question. Mild RGing I don't mind. If it was a confident dog, then yeah, but I don't want any more softies like Rider. No noise issues. Stranger danger is a pain in the butt, but I can deal. Kids is a nonissue. Reactivity is fine, but flat out aggression I couldn't deal with atm because I really don't want to c/r. Prey drive I don't care. Cats I don't like, so I don't need them to be fine. Confident, drivey, toy drive, velcro are my only needs!

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Stranger handling: Rara would fail miserably. Her confidence relies 90% on the existence of me and my mom. Lancer would pass with flying colors only if the stranger is asian. LOL

resource guarding: Both would pass!

prey drive: Both would fail...

getting along with other dogs / kids / cats: They'd fail so bad, they get a Z grade. (what)

strange/loud noises: DEFINITE FAIL, if I or my parents are not with them.

I would see if there's the possibility of "test adoption" for a week or two... some dogs really do have severe issues. But some dogs, like mine, just lose all confidence and control of themselves in a stranger environment without their owners.

--

As a whole, I think my dogs would get euthanized pretty quickly at a shelter IF it wasn't for their adorable good looks. Looks have done them well. :hail:

Equinox

Probably not, to be honest. Some tests he'll pass with flying colors, others he would fail hard. Definitely not grounds for euthanization (selective dog reactivity, high possessiveness, prey drive); they'd probably just decide that he needed to be worked with, especially if the shelter knew dogs.

Stranger handling
Pass, not a problem at all. He doesn't generally let strangers physically manipulate him and turn him over, clean his ears, etc. but basic handling isn't ever an issue.

Resource guarding
Hard fail. This is actually the big reason why I think he'd fail the overall shelter test - I'm not familiar with shelter workers but I know food and toy aggression can be a big issue for some people. I can take anything from him without a problem, but strangers and anyone else in the family? Not so much. He is very much not okay with dogs or random people touching him while he has a toy or food, though his response is usually just to growl and move away.

Prey drive
Fail...? He'll chase after strange cats indoors out of curiosity and give them a sniff, but lives with them peacefully. Outdoors he goes insane for cats, but can learn to ignore squirrels, birds, etc.

Getting along with other dogs
Probably a fail. His play style is nonexistent and mostly involves him sniffing, posturing, and correcting the other dog. He can play with me alongside another dog, and that's about as good as it gets. He's selectively dog reactive as well, but he is fine with group walks and being indoors with another dog after a proper introduction.

Getting along with kids
Definite pass, not a problem there. Still would not be recommended for a home with kids just because of his size and exuberance, and how excitable he is, but he likes them a lot.

Getting along with cats
Pass, again not a problem. He lives with two cats, did great with our youngest when she was a kitten, and we once brought in a random cat that showed up at our doorstep, and Trent decided he was his new best friend.

Strange/loud noises
Easy pass, nothing like that phases him (including thunder and fireworks).

Definitely depends on what portion of the test the dog did not pass. If any of the issues that came up was fear based, I would not adopt the dog. I also would not adopt a dog with noise sensitivities, and again this includes a fear of thunder storms and fireworks (the latter being a big deal here on the 4th).

At this time, I also don't think I can work with flat out dog aggression because I'm just not equipped to deal with it, and wouldn't want to put my dog in danger due to my own inexperience. Reactivity is fine, as long as the dog is confident (which she/he would need to be to live with Trent).

Prey drive I like, but cat/small animal killing? No. Not indoors, at least, because I own and will continue to have various small pets in addition to my dogs. Resource guarding? Not an issue though it depends on the context and the dog's temperament and nerves. Same goes for stranger danger.

Chalo would pass most of it pretty easily, I think. He loves kids, dogs, and cats; he has never resource guarded in his life; and new scary things sometimes make him wary but he recovers quickly. Stranger handling would be fine as long as it is just petting and nothing invasive or involving restraint. Prey drive could go either way -- off-leash he is naturally really interested in chasing fast-moving things, but on-leash, his impulse control masks it pretty well.

I might still consider adopting a dog who didn't pass the kids portion or who was fearful of strange objects/loud noises, but I'd want to know more about why they didn't pass.

My lab, Haley, and puppy(Piper) would pass.
My husky, lucky, wouldn't. She had a tragic accident before we got her and is missing a leg. She allows adults to touch her legs if I'm there with her but it scares her if I'm not there.

Due to have a young child, cat, and small puppy, I wouldn't adopt a pet that failed in those areas. I would take one who failed other areas.

Members online