Puppy not eating puppy food

I rescued a 7 month old puppy about a week ago and he's still not eating very much. I am feeding him the same food that he received at the shelter, Eukanuba (spelling?). He'll eat treats and bones but only half of the food that he's supposed to eat. Should I stop feeding him treats and bones?

keyodie

Keyozilla
I'll just tell you one thing...change his food. :D

Did you check the bag for the amount he's supposed to get? I bet you did, but I was just wondering. How many times do you feed him a day?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
If your pup isn't skinny, I wouldn't worry. The bag amounts are just a guideline. My dog only eats about half of what the bag says he should eat, and he's at a great weight. Also, your pup probably needs some time to settle in. Give him a bit to get used to his new home.

You might look into switching him to a better food once he's settled in. Eukanuba is definately not the best out there.

keyodie

Keyozilla
I just thought of something. Is it hot where you live? Because I heard that dogs don't eat as much during hot weather.

The bag says to feed him 2 1/4 cups day. I try to feed him 1 cup in the morning and 1 1/4 cups at night. He probably eats 3/4 cup the whole day. The vet says that this is normal for a new puppy in a new environment, but he's a pretty skinny dog. Any other suggestions for food if you think I should change brands?

keyodie

Keyozilla
Yeah. The best I've heard of is Innova EVO, except my dad won't buy it since he thinks it's too expensive...right now we feed my dog Nutro, which is average.

Fran27

Congrats on your puppy! What breed is he?

It's normal that he's not eating much, maybe try adding something yummy to his food (meat, yoghurt, egg, or a bit of canned food), and definitely change the brand. As long as he is active though, I wouldn't worry.

For the food advice, you can go read the dog food forum, you'll find lots of info there.

He's a corgi mix, but he really looks like a mini german shepard. He's about 20 pounds and is supposed to stay around that size. He is such a sweet dog, but as a first-time dog owner I'm nervous that I'm not doing everything correctly. He's had such a rough life that I want him to be happy and feel safe.

a wormy puppy will not eat, has your new puppy been wormed?
if not, take a stool sample to your Vet and have it checked!

Dreeza

naturally, i heard dogs really only eat every other day...then again, they have been domesticated...but oakley seems to follow that pattern...

is your puppy playful? or does he still seem uncomfortable in his new environment? cause oakley just doesnt care about eating his doggie food (course he eats any treat he can, lol) he would MUCH rather play

and remember that most people think their dogs are too skinny, because they are so used to overweight dogs...so your puppy may not be as skinny as you think!

aurorab

I have 2 dogs that are rescues. Here are a few things to think about. (1) He is a puppy (2) even thought that is the food that they gave him, it might not be the only kind. Some shelters give what ever is donated, so it can change. Plus they don't alway have the best quality food. (3) how long was he at the shelter- this has 2 issues, 1st he could have had other food at his past house or have been on the street and had to eat scraps. The other is going from one enviroment to another (especially a shelter), then to your house is scary. (4) Fear, he might not trust you enough yet to be sure that it ok to eat the food.
My 1st rescue was a bit of a problem and we had to try a few things, we finally went to wet food b/c she would eat the dry. It's taken over a yr to get her to eat both wet and dry.
Our 2nd rescue was found out on the streets of Philly. She really wasn't sure what food was and was so skinny. We had to be careful not to feed her too much, too fast or it could really upset her system. But we didn't have to worry too much about that b/c she would eat any dog food. We finally decided to try a little boiled chicken. Taht she ate (since she probably was dumpster diving, that was more what she was used too). I would put in less chickan and more dog food. I'd even hand feed her the dog foor (it was wet chuncks cut small- gross but she was so skinny and a skinny chi at that). It took several weeks to get her to eat on her own and I finally could put just dog food. She she gets scared at times. We have to put the puppy away, and she's just getting to the point that she is ok w/ the kitchen, and I still have to be in the kitchen but not look at her to eat but she does pretty good now. Yeah I know she is a little odd, but she is getting better everyday. The most important part is patience and take it slow.
Good luck!!!

I also would change his food...that isn't good, high quality food. He probably needs time to settle in, and I also wouldn't worry about it that much if he isn't getting thin and the vet has checked him out.

showpug

I bet if you offered him Innova EVO he would gobble it up. My dogs scarf that food like it's candy. It's high in fat and protein so they LOVE the taste. I have never seen a response to any food the way I do with Innova EVO. I would try it.

Members online

No members online now.