Is this normal?

Becca_

chowchow
Some of you already know, Gracie is in heat. She started a week ago with making messes, I have her wearing pull-ups. She is really emotional, plays some but not as much as normal. The last couple of days her mess has slowed down alot. This morning when she first went out her pull up was clean after wearing it all night.

A few minutes ago she wanted to go potty. I always make sure Princess is out with her because I know if a dog started hanging around the fence she'd bark. So I took off Gracie's pull-up which was still clean. She went outside to potty and only a few minutes later she yelps and comes crying to the door and inside leaving a messy trail again. She continues to cry as I get a pull-up on her which is tricky because she's messing one drop right after the other. Does the 2nd stage hit that hard? I figured when the 2nd stage was mentioned it would just ease it's way into it. Are the dogs aways so emotional? She's even turning into a lap dog since she's gone into heat. Just wants to sit on my lap so she doesnt have to be bothered by Princess or Kokomo (he isnt showing any signs of interest in her and she's always covered when they are allowed in the same room, and I'm always with them).

I just talked to my husband, he said I shouldnt worry, she might have been pushing real hard (to poop maybe). Do you agree, is this normal?

I am not a Vet by all means, BUT this does not sound normal at all!
could your other dog have tried to mount her? that would make her cry
or maybe she has an infection and hurts to go pee? check her for swelling or redness!
could be allot of things

a female will try to mount another female - mostly for dominance
could of dug her claws in her back

Last edited:
She's tender and swollen and may have snagged herself on something to make her yelp.

As far as the mess goes, they are all different. There really isn't any "normal" as far as I can tell! :eek:

Be thankful you've just got a needy, PMS-y Gracie trying to climb into your lap instead of a needy, PMS-y Shiva or Kharma trying to get on your lap :p It all gets to be a bit much, especially since I'm usually having mine when they have theirs . . . Charley has the good sense not to make any comments that might result in injuries . . .

Becca_

chowchow
Twice now I've forgotten to take the pull up off her when she's went out to potty. The first time she yelped and cried all the way to the house, she had pooped in her panties and was very upset. When she went outside the next time she cried when she pottied, its more like she was afraid the pull up might still be on her. She was fine after that. Today I did it again, forgot to take it off her. She peed in her panties, came running in crying. She had poop smears like she had wanted to poop but realized she was going on herself. I sent her back out but she wouldnt go. Her yelp could have been because she was afraid she was going to potty in her pants.

Only Princess was outside with her, Princess never humps her. In fact, Gracie is the one who would hump Princess. She's had like swelling but I thought that went with being in heat. I''ll have to check her panties to see if she's still messing heavy. She's napping.

Becca_

chowchow
Thats funny Renee'. I take it that need to be on the lap is pretty normal then! She might have snagged. She has all that fur back there and isnt getting the brushing she needs because of her messing and the panties she's wearing. I had thought if she had slowed down enough I could brush her out today. Doesnt look like it.

poor Gracie, maybe she is just constipated
give her a heaping tbsp of plain yogurt in her food
and some bacon grease or vegtable oil
that will help

Becca_

chowchow
She's doing better now. The mess has slowed down. I'm sure now her yelp was caused from her being tramatized when I forgot to take her panties off. I think she gets scared that the same thing will happen to her again. I was able to do some brushing on her backside. I just feel so bad for her, I know she's got to be miserable.

Members online