what to do to rescue?

What have you had to do before you could rescue a dog, I am not thinking of getting another dog (think I have enough lol), but other threads have made me wonder how differently rescues work from place to place

When we adopted Colby, all we had to do was meet her (with a staff member), and the next day we filled out the adoption forms and took her. They dropped by a few days later to make sure she was perfectly happy and healthy. When they found a happy, chubby little puppy, they decided we were the perfect match and left her with us. The adoption form clearly stated that if we did not obey the form, they could take her back. This included spaying her within three months.

W

Whitedobelover

depends are you wanting to adopt or foster? rescue can mean two different things... .so which are you talking about

joce

Some start with abasic yes or no checklist on you and your house/yard. Others look at the person and then move onto that. When I adopt out I look at the people adn then the house. But I know many places that say flat out no if you do not have a fence or own your own home. those are not the biggest things to me but then again I only adopt out a couple a year and I cna keep an eye on them and if absolutely need be take them back(which hasn't happened).

The reason i was asking was it seem fairly easy to get a rescued dog in a lot of places, when we rescued our staffy, we went by appointment only to look around, then we took her out for a walk in the grounds so they could see how we were with her, then we went back the next day with Barney so they could meet, then we filled out a major form and they arranged a home visit, after that they said ok we could have her, we picked her up and the next day a lady came round to see if she was ok, they came two weeks later, then monthly after that to check on her, from what i have heard some people go and see a dog fall involve and take it home, it seems a bit longer winded here, which I think is good, they also go with contracts that they are spayed, and if for what ever feason you can no longer keep the dog they are returned to the home. The only thing that I think they do wrong is they charge too much for their puppys, she was only £20 less than a registered puppy, i think that if they want more people to have rescue dogs then they should drop the price a bit

W

Whitedobelover

there is a good possibility i do need to re read it because i didnt fully read it lol... whichis quite normal for me lol...i wasnt trying to ruffle your feathers. lol relax... okay are looking to get a dog to foster or adopt you didnt specify what you said was i am thinking of getting another dog. are you wanting to adopt or foster LOL... so i read your post properly... lol now once again. :D

Whitedobelover said:
there is a good possibility i do need to re read it because i didnt fully read it lol... whichis quite normal for me lol...i wasnt trying to ruffle your feathers. lol relax... okay are looking to get a dog to foster or adopt you didnt specify what you said was i am thinking of getting another dog. are you wanting to adopt or foster LOL... so i read your post properly... lol now once again. :D
LOL you havent ruffled me, i do it too sometimes no worries

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
It's very easy to get a rescue dog here. You fill out the form, have an interview to go over the form and determine your suitability as an owner, then pay the fee and take your dog home. The shelter fee is $35-$45, depending on the age of the dog, and $70 at most of the all-breed rescues. It's a real bargin, considering that the fees include shots, city tags, and neutering. There is a purebred rescue here in town, but their fees are anywhere from $200-$400 dollars. Also, there is no guarantee you get the dog. If there are multiple applications, the person best-suited to the dog is the one who gets it. Or, if your application is unsuitable, they will not adopt to you.

The interview is really good, and I was impressed about how much the shelter staff knows. When I was there once, there was a family with five children (ages 6-12) who were interested in adopting a teeny chihuahua puppy. Talk about a disaster in the making! The shelter counselor convinced them to get a medium/large 8-month-old lab mix instead. The family left the shelter very happy, and you could tell how thrilled that puppy was to have so many new playmates!

Fran27

Gempress, a shelter isn't a rescue really. The shelter here, you just come, show proof that you are the owner of your house or that the owner accepts pets, show your driver's license and give $70 and you leave with the dog.

Rescues are more picky, and they usually have the dogs fostered (or take the dogs from shelters to adopt them for more money, as it was said in another thread). You have to fill in an application form (lots of questions about what you think about crate training, if you have a fenced yard, what you would do with your dog if you couldn't keep it any longer, if your other pets are neutered, vet and personal references etc), then you meet the people, then the dog. For Tips they called us back, we talked a bit, and we went to pick him up a week later.

bubbatd

I think all rescues differ. Check out our Golden rescue site ...GRRACE.org .... see how to adopt.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Fran27 said:
Gempress, a shelter isn't a rescue really. The shelter here, you just come, show proof that you are the owner of your house or that the owner accepts pets, show your driver's license and give $70 and you leave with the dog.

Rescues are more picky, and they usually have the dogs fostered.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I know that's the case in most places, but in my town, the reverse is often true. Zeus was a foster dog from a local rescue, and I got him with the steps I just described. I know there is at least one rescue in the area where you show the money, and you get the dog. Kind of sad. I think it's because there's such a huge overpopulation of dogs here: dogs are just desperate to find homes, and rescues are desperate to make room for more dogs.

In large cities, I know some rescue dogs can be harder to get than pups from a breeder!

Julie

I am back again.
We don't have a real shelter in our town.
We have the humane society, that will take in animals, that are then placed with foster homes, not sure on procedures or costs with them.

Then we have our county dog pound, which is listed as pound in the phone book. They only keep the dogs five days, and if it was an owner that gave the dog up, (and not a lost dog) they don't have to keep them at all, and no minimum requirement. I don't know the cost now, but a few years ago it was $10.00 with no spay nueter contract. They got no medical attention, and it was give your money and gooooooo... So sad.
I bet they put down alot of dogs and puppies there.

joce

Thats the smae with my pound. They really started to fix stuff up though and even got a site online
http://www.loraincounty.us/website/index.asp?webpageid={CF3D231A-595B-4347-8ABB-7818EC586F4C}
I think all you do is hand them the cash.

Julie

I am back again.
Our "pound" doesn't have a website, stone age.......

I think our humane society lists thru petfinders.

There are two shelters in a town near ours (about 25-30 miles away)
that do health care and spay neuter contracts. They also list thru
petfinders. I think adoption fee is about $80 - $100. I think drop off fee is about that too.

I used to take pictures at our pound for the local paper (years ago) until I fell in love with a pup, and the dog warden gave him to me. Well two weeks later thru sickness and death. The pup was tested and came back positive for rabies. That moreless ended my crusade to try to help the animals. Although the worst experience in my life, I would now consider doing the same thing again. The pens used to be outside, and after my situation, the town built a new building with indoor kennels, and much less chance of contracting rabies while at the pound......but still they are stoneage.....

Members online