Maybe I'll Just...

Payge

Buy a toy stuffed great dane and walk it around with a leash. I'd be labeled as "That crazy cat lady who drags a stuffed toy around behind her everywhere on a leash" but thats ok I guess.

I went to the shelter, got up early, was there 45 minutes before they opened just to make *SURE* I wouldn't miss out this time. Oh no, THIS time I was gonna be the one who got there first for the great dane/lab mix puppy they had. And I did. I got to meet him before anyone else. Thats when I found out the person who had labeled him a gd/lab mix was insane. He weighed 40lbs and was obviously full grown. I saw no trace of GD in him. Nothing, none. I had nervously and excitedly waited for this dog to come up for adoption for over a week, i'd gotten up extra early on the day he was to be put up for adoption, waited for forty five minutes in my car for the shelter to open, barreled down old ladies(ok not really on that one) to get to this dog first...just to be dissapointed....again. The sound you hear is my head banging on my desk.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
awwwwwwwwww. I am so sorry. I really think the rescue workers that label dog breeds are smoking the happy plant if you catch my drift. Someone had my old guy marked 'akita' and was due to be put down...yupper...border collie pointer cross was our vets best guess...maybe some lab but AKITA?! some day I'll post comparison pics. yeah. The right dog WILL come to you, I am sure. It'll just happen. My Daisyduke just "happened" when I wasn't looking. I wouldn't have looked for a basset hound anyway but here she is, happy as a clam. Good luck, and don't dent the desk, or your head. :)

Fran27

Yeah I agree, rescues are really not good at guessing breeds... They said bluetick coonhound/lab for Tips, and now I see none of those in him... and his hair looks like it will be just a tad shorter as Boris'. More german shepherd/border collie if you ask me.

Being 45 minutes away from the shelter doesn't make it easy though... I forgot, have you contacted rescues? Or are they too picky to let you adopt one?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Yeah, don't go 100 percent by the breed labeling. When I got Zeus, they said he was a "mastiff mix." :confused: And it seems that if the shelter gets a true Heinz 57, they just label it as a "shepherd mix" and go on with life.

Don't get discouraged, something will come up. Although the stuffed toy idea might be a good placebo in the meantime. :D

Members online

No members online now.