Best position for trimming nails?

gngracie

We're working on handling Roscoe's feet and associating the nail clippers/dremel with good times. (Roscoe's our 8-9 week old puppy terrier mix that we adopted 1 week ago.) I'm also trying to learn how to hold/handle him when we do start trimming his nails again. The last time I attempted I cut one too short, so right now we're just focusing on getting him comfortable with handling, the clippers, and the dremel. Not surprisingly, I don't think he trusts me much right now. :(

I've been watching lots of videos and these people make it look so easy, but I swear I don't have enough hands to hold him and trim his nails and I don't know how to position his body. He has black nails and right now they're very tiny, so I need to keep him as still as possible to decrease the chance of me hurting him, but I swear he's a slippery, wriggly little guy.

My question is what is the best way to hold your dog/the best position for them to be in when you're trimming nails? I'm a visual learner, so videos and/or pictures are greatly appreciated if you can point me in the right direction. Many of the videos I'm watching show close ups of the dogs nails, which is great, but I can't figure out how to hold Roscoe.

Members online

No members online now.