Three's a crowd?

noludoru

Bored Now.
I have plans to get another dog next year, but I'm having a lot of anxiety about the decision. The thought of having more dogs than hands makes me a little nervous. I didn't think twice about adding a second dog though...

What changed when you added a 3rd dog? Do you think 3 is too many? Would you go back to 2? Has your relationship changed with your dogs or has the relationship changed between your dogs when you added a third? Do you feel like you can give them all enough attention?

What about fights?

I know cost of food & vet care will go up. I'm not worried about that part. I'm more worried about every day things like training, exercising, managing, etc.
I think if you only take one thing away from everyone's experiences, let it be that all dogs are different. I've met 5 of the dogs in this thread, and they're all totally different individuals.

If you are worried about 3, why are you worried? What behavioral problems are you working on now? What sorts of dogs do your dogs like; and is that the sort of dog you want as well? How do your current dogs get exercise and how will a new dog fit there - if you're biking with one, can you add another if you want a higher energy dog?

How crazy are you willing to go with intros to make sure things go smoothly? Starting things off on the right foot makes the difference between three happy dogs and three where two start fights and one intervenes and gets nicked. With my last multiple dog housing situation, I knew what a little asshole my dog was, and how bad he was when introduced too quickly, so we went to a park in a snowstorm and ran for 2-3 hours. I then filled him with food and a Benadryl and a Dramamine to make him tired, and his first introductions to the girls went so well I confirmed our move in date that night. He loved them and even played tug and chase. We lived there a year and a half and never had a fight. But two of the dogs were very laid-back and dog-savvy, the problem pup was managed properly for the most part.

I kept him in down stays during stressful moments, when there were high value treats, or ball playing. He got separated from them a lot to give them all a break. Exercise sucked. All three had SA, and mine was the only one leash trained. The other two were so shitty on leash that I took them to the park 1/4 mile away by car. They were wonderful off leash, whereas Middie was not. He got runs and they got park time. Someone was always left behind. They were very reactive in a group- I could call mine away from fence fights, but the girls would not listen.

Snuggle time was a resource-guardy mess for months, but instigators were promptly locked in a bathroom alone for 3-5 minutes, and it worked. Dog hair was a food group. Place commands were utilized. Toys were dropped into my breakfast more than once. Winter when my roommate was out of town was warm and pillows were shared. Coming home or bringing someone over was chaotic. Accepting deliveries was a feat of epic proportions. Neighbors were all broken into, but not us. Dealing with one dog's bad habits is way easier than 3, so train all you can before you get another.

Two were attention-whores who could NEVER BE PETTED ENOUGH EVER. One wasn't really very assertive, so she got a little neglected when my roomie was away for weeks. I would do two of my own, not three. Not unless someone else was caring for one. It was very hard to work full time and give them what they needed. But it was over all a fun experience.

Oh, it was a lot louder. Did I mention it was louder than one?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I currently have three, plus my moms two, so the household itself has five dogs in it :p

My three are all herder brains. Three (the third dog, her name is three lol) is much lower key than my Malinois and my Dutch, even though she's a GSD. She plays when she feels like it, but otherwise, she wants to sleep by me, get petted, go for walks and follow me around.

There were a few issues regarding who had access to what, but I just had to remind Indy that *I* own all the toys and food and decide when to give out attention, not her, and everything settled down.

Three may or may not be staying as a permanent addition, but I AM adding a third and fourth dog. I find even numbers easier than odd numbers, lol, but the third and fourth spots are reserved for dogs that will have specific functions. If they cannot or will not do that work, they will be placed in an appropriate home, and I'm willing to work through dogs until I find the right ones, because I have specific wants, and I'm not willing to compromise them.

Any dog that leaves here because they don't fit in will either go back to their breeder, or will be responsibly placed into a home more suited to their temperament.

I have a fourth dog in mind, if Three stays, but that's up in the air for now. Three is still settling in, and settling down, and there are other factors to deal with with her.

My dogs and my moms dogs are separated. She has two Boxers, and her male wants to start sh*t with Harrison, and my mom will blame Harrison because her dogs can do no wrong, so everyone is kept separate.

No, you misunderstand. Payton is not a 'problem' dog. This was a brief period that lasted about a month, maybe two, and it was over two years ago. Since that brief period, we don't have fights here. Ever. My sister's shelties fought - mine do not.

I repeat:
I guess I didn't phrase that right. What I meant was I'm glad to hear that someone went through something similar to what I am/was going through with Ryker during his adolescence and was able to over come it and still have 3 dogs live together peacefully.

During approx a 3 week period about a month ago he got in a couple fights with Gypsy and became much more guardy about things. Which has since seemed to have resolved, but we are going to see the behaviorist today about it anyways.

I think if you only take one thing away from everyone's experiences, let it be that all dogs are different. I've met 5 of the dogs in this thread, and they're all totally different individuals.

If you are worried about 3, why are you worried? What behavioral problems are you working on now? What sorts of dogs do your dogs like; and is that the sort of dog you want as well? How do your current dogs get exercise and how will a new dog fit there - if you're biking with one, can you add another if you want a higher energy dog?

How crazy are you willing to go with intros to make sure things go smoothly? Starting things off on the right foot makes the difference between three happy dogs and three where two start fights and one intervenes and gets nicked. With my last multiple dog housing situation, I knew what a little asshole my dog was, and how bad he was when introduced too quickly, so we went to a park in a snowstorm and ran for 2-3 hours. I then filled him with food and a Benadryl and a Dramamine to make him tired, and his first introductions to the girls went so well I confirmed our move in date that night. He loved them and even played tug and chase. We lived there a year and a half and never had a fight. But two of the dogs were very laid-back and dog-savvy, the problem pup was managed properly for the most part.

I kept him in down stays during stressful moments, when there were high value treats, or ball playing. He got separated from them a lot to give them all a break. Exercise sucked. All three had SA, and mine was the only one leash trained. The other two were so shitty on leash that I took them to the park 1/4 mile away by car. They were wonderful off leash, whereas Middie was not. He got runs and they got park time. Someone was always left behind. They were very reactive in a group- I could call mine away from fence fights, but the girls would not listen.

Snuggle time was a resource-guardy mess for months, but instigators were promptly locked in a bathroom alone for 3-5 minutes, and it worked. Dog hair was a food group. Place commands were utilized. Toys were dropped into my breakfast more than once. Winter when my roommate was out of town was warm and pillows were shared. Coming home or bringing someone over was chaotic. Accepting deliveries was a feat of epic proportions. Neighbors were all broken into, but not us. Dealing with one dog's bad habits is way easier than 3, so train all you can before you get another.

Two were attention-whores who could NEVER BE PETTED ENOUGH EVER. One wasn't really very assertive, so she got a little neglected when my roomie was away for weeks. I would do two of my own, not three. Not unless someone else was caring for one. It was very hard to work full time and give them what they needed. But it was over all a fun experience.

Oh, it was a lot louder. Did I mention it was louder than one?
I'm mostly worried because 3 just seems like a big leap from 2 and I've read that dogs can get the 'pack mentality' when they are 3+.

And right now we are actually going to be seeing the behaviorist because a month ago Ryker displayed what I would consider redirected aggression on Gypsy. I feel like if it's not resolved then I will not feel comfortable adding another dog at all. And I would hate for him to be fine and then adding a 3rd dog stir things up.

I think exercise is doable. SO and I go hiking a lot and I go trail running. I figure I can take 1 or two dogs running one day and alternate and then walk them with SO after that. We also have a large fenced yard.

Members online

No members online now.