What do I do?

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Wow... I'm sorry you're going through this :( but I know you'll make the right decision, whatever that is.

You have already gone above and beyond what literally anyone else would've done for Chloe. That's what I keep telling myself about Gonzo when I'm frustrated with him. There are some dogs that you can only help so much no matter how hard you try. They're either too damaged or mentally not there to completely heal - and the average person would've given up on them at the first sign of an issue, so don't feel guilty for whatever you decide is best! If management is making your life or their life miserable, what are you fighting for? You have to ask yourself that. I would definitely take her from your family, though. I learned that I can't trust my family to handle Gonzo, not with his behavior or his sensitive health. Even though I got him when I was 12 he has made himself "my" dog and I've saved him from being euthanized, so he's my responsibility.

After reading about Chloe and Bamm and feeling the same way about Gonzo... they seem like siblings! Lol these Border Collie-ish dogs. Such weirdos.

~Tucker&Me~

Thanks guys.

I can't do anything about it right now, so I'm going to just kind of put it on the backburner for this weekend and mull things over. I'll speak with my vet on Monday and see if there is anything she can recommend for anxiety purposes if I were to try her with me at my place. Maybe do another full chem. Mom has told me if she snaps again, she wants her gone. Can't say I blame her.

For now, she's become the "no touch" dog...that'll work short term.
I think this is wise -- you don't want to make any major decisions while you are emotional and in shock over her behaviour.

If it were me, I would probably go in to see my vet one last time. Get one more thorough check-up done for health issues that may be exacerbating her aggression, and also look into more aggressive or faster acting anti-anxiety drugs. I would also move her to my apartment to be micro-managed. Basically, give it one more shot.

At the end of the day though, no one knows Chloe and your situation as well as you do, and it is your judgement call to make. I can tell that it is very obvious how much you have done for Chloe, and that no one would judge you if you opted to put her down tomorrow. As others have mentioned, sometimes a peaceful death being held by a loving owner is better than leading an anxiety filled, miserable life. Either way, take comfort in the fact that she has had a number of good years with you that she probably would not have had with an average joe owner. You made it possible for her to stick around and enjoy life for as long as she has, and if this is the end of the road for her, at least she has had a good run of it.

I sincerely hope you come to a decision you can feel at peace with. Putting down an animal is so hard, especially in cases where the animal is physically healthy but not really right in the head. We are all here for you, and you will certainly be in my thoughts *hug*

milos_mommy

All I can say is I'm so sorry :( It hurts so much to have an aggressive dog that you just can't help no matter how hard you try.

spiffy

Letting the pet go is the most difficult decision a dog owner has to make but there are situations where euthanasia is the only option. I had the same concern too with my dog - a Doberman hybrid. With me, Bogs is the most well behaved pet any dog owner would want to have. But he would turn berserk in a snap. After he attacked a neighbor I usually muzzle him when I take him for a walk. He had a full medical work up and had been given medication. I have finally decided to put him to sleep when he mauled a 7 year old kid.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
So sorry you have to make this decision. Whichever one you make will be the right one, there is no wrong answer here, only what you can and can't live with. I'm keeping you in my thoughts, please keep us updated.

Doberluv

I think this is wise -- you don't want to make any major decisions while you are emotional and in shock over her behaviour.

If it were me, I would probably go in to see my vet one last time. Get one more thorough check-up done for health issues that may be exacerbating her aggression, and also look into more aggressive or faster acting anti-anxiety drugs. I would also move her to my apartment to be micro-managed. Basically, give it one more shot.

At the end of the day though, no one knows Chloe and your situation as well as you do, and it is your judgement call to make. I can tell that it is very obvious how much you have done for Chloe, and that no one would judge you if you opted to put her down tomorrow. As others have mentioned, sometimes a peaceful death being held by a loving owner is better than leading an anxiety filled, miserable life. Either way, take comfort in the fact that she has had a number of good years with you that she probably would not have had with an average joe owner. You made it possible for her to stick around and enjoy life for as long as she has, and if this is the end of the road for her, at least she has had a good run of it.

I sincerely hope you come to a decision you can feel at peace with. Putting down an animal is so hard, especially in cases where the animal is physically healthy but not really right in the head. We are all here for you, and you will certainly be in my thoughts *hug*
This sums up my feelings as well. It sounds like her quality of life is not good. It might be a kindness to let her go. After you have exhausted every possibility, only you can decide. I am so very sorry you have to deal with this. How very hard on you. (((hugs)))

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I spoke with the vet today and will be talking with my parents regarding her this evening. My dad enjoys having her around for the security aspect of things (sounds funny saying that as she's a bit of a liability towards everyone in the house, but she is very watchful and protective as well) and would like to find a way to keep her safe and happy, as well as everyone else. So, we'll see. I'm going to talk with them and figure out exactly how far they are willing to go and what would be an acceptable solution for them.

I'm not sure yet if I feel comfortable about me taking her. If it was just me, there would be no question and I'd do it. But her being in a one bedroom apartment with the other three dogs is not safe, for anyone, and separating her isn't really going to be an option. So...I may try it, but I already know everyone will be unhappy and that isn't fair for anyone.

I'll keep everybody updated.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The final verdict:

Dad does not want to have her euthanized. So he and mom are going to take management precautions and try to keep everyone safe, including Chloe. I will be trying a new anxiety drug cocktail for when she has to be shut away from guests to see if that helps my mom stay more sane, as well as giving them protocols to follow to keep her below threshold, which includes only structured petting.

Hopefully that will be enough until I'm in a position to take her. If not, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Members online

No members online now.