Schutzhund--possible debate?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
So, Schutzhund. What do you think: A good demonstration of what a dog can be trained to do/show off what it was bred for or a competition designed to possibly ruin a dog's temperment?

I've seen a case of shutzhund gone bad (GSD) and the poor dog was totally ruined. He was a basketcase. I think it depends on the dogs temperment to begin with. I used to work with a girl whose dogs were shutzhund trained (all Rotties) and they were fine but she also had a Belgian Shepherd that was also trained and he was a psycho and has bitten several people.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
well, historically schutzhund is a test for the working ability for the german shepherd dog. it was designed to determine the best, most suitable breeding stock as per the breed standard.

i don't think the sport itself has any potential to ruin the temperament of a dog, but what definiely has potential to ruin temperament (and worse) are inappropriate training methods.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I forget where I read this, but someone trained an Aussie for Schutzhund and there was a fairly negative response to it because the Aussie temperment isn't really very suited to Sch.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I think it's a good way to demonstrate or show off what certain dog breeds were bred to do.

But only certain breeds (German shepherds, Rottweilers, Belgian Malinois, etc.).

I would not be surprised if someone decided it would be fun to do it with a lab and then see the dog's temperament take a drastic turn in the wrong direction.

Y

yuckaduck

To me it is strictly a sport showing of what training can be attained. I would never wish to see the dogs competeing in that particular sport as working patrol dogs or bomb sniffing dogs or even in SAR!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
BigDog2191 said:
But only certain breeds (German shepherds, Rottweilers, Belgian Malinois, etc.).
This is Daniel's question: "Why are those breeds so much better at Sch. and not others, like border collies? There's a strong prey drive in all of them..."

R

rottiegirl

I dont think there is anything wrong with it. And I really dont think it ruins their temperment.

Payge

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, so long as the person training them has experience and knows what they are doing. If they don't, it could be disasterous. I'm not saying that anyone who doesn't have experience now never be able to do it, i'm saying they should be taught by those who do.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Zoom said:
This is Daniel's question: "Why are those breeds so much better at Sch. and not others, like border collies? There's a strong prey drive in all of them..."
Welll, border collies were bred to herd ONLY. Just like Australian Cattle Dogs, they were bred to herd and have EXTREME prey drive, but you'll never see one competing in Sch.

You take a breed like a German shepherd; they were bred to be an all working dog. Meaning herding, bomb/cadaver sniffer, seeing-eye-dog, police dog, etc. They're Extremely versatile.

Rottweiler: protection.

Doberman: protection.

Belgian Malinois: protection/police dog- actually, pretty much same as a German shepherd.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I will be doing Shutzhund training with Riot soon. I believe that it is an amazing way to have your dog trained. There are different types of it you can do as well, there is Tracking, Obedience and protection. Riot will be doing Tracking and obedience. In order to be able to train your dog in Protection, it MUST pass a temperment test.

I'm debating on wether or not to try that with Riot.. but I might just wait until hes a bit older..

Members online

No members online now.