Question

darkchild16

We are Home.
Does anyone in here think dogs remember litter mates from 5 yrs ago? cuz this one lady wanting to adopt mich. has his littermate and wants to abopt him becasue of that

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I think the dog could have a VERY slight recolection of the scent of his brother, but I don't think it would actually remember him.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I agree with you. I don't think you should let them adopt just because they have his brother, but the foster to adopt sounds like a good idea!!
If they turn out to be good dog parents and the two dogs get along then the foster will get a good home. :)

bubbatd

I have always thought that dogs with their very sensitive noses can pick up DNA scents of their past. May not remember, but know there's a connection to them.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mary never seems to recognize her sister that my brother has..when they do get together they raise hackles like strangers...i was away from Jim for a year (he made me so angry i told him i was taking my toys and going home..and didn't speak to him for a year..anyway when we did get back together Mary saw Garg for the first time and they acted as strangers...so that is two examples that make me think no..that they dont remember. i can only base my opinions on what i have seen.

Maybe Mary and Garg had a case of sibling rivalry, Smkie.

I don't know about remembering litter mates, but if we talk about Buffy in front of Bimmer he becomes very sad and cries softly and curls up and mopes, so I have to believe that he remembers his love.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
One time my dads friend brought over one of the pups we sold to him a few years before named Eleroy and we kept his littermate named Shine they actually fought when they met not so happy reunion. They liked each other on visits after that though.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am still not sure if it is a good thing to talk about bronki with Mary, or if it causes her heartbreak..if his name comes up in conversation her eyes will squinch shut and she will swallow...i want to tell her he is still with us..i want to share his name with her, i have his pictures to look at, and she has nothing. It is just awful for i don't know how to comfort her at all. I don't ever say his name just to her for i can see it causes her pain. I know older dogs will remember..i had one dog at the kennel i hadnt seen for 7 years..when he was a young dog we had a game where i would hold my fingers up claw like and say grrrrrr..he would crouch down and pretend to be afraid..then when i would turn my back he would bite my back pockets of my levis...sounds dumb, but it was all in mock fun. He was sold and then later came back to board. I saw him from clear across the driveway. better than a hundred feet, the first thing i did was make my "scary hands" and he crouched down and wag wag wag let me know he had not ever forgotten me..His name was obviously Mooner, and he was a golden retreiver.

Members online

No members online now.