Agility people?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Hw do you go about finding a good agility class? I'm looking for one for Summer pretty soon.

Any help would be fantastic! :D

BostonBanker

Ado always lists off a bunch of good questions to ask. A good start would be to go to a local agility trial, ideally in the venue you would be interested in competing in, and ask around about local trainers. That way you will be looking at trainers that are producing students who are actively competing.

jacko

you might also try purchasing some agility equipment... and you can spend more time with pet...

Dekka

Just try me..
I wouldn't suggest buying equip untill you are proficient at training your dog in the sport. Most good beginner classes won't even use much equipment.

This to look for
~actively competing trainer (they are then more likely to be up to date on training and saftey)
~go to a trial and talk to people, see who every one respects and likes.
~ask what they do in a starters agility class, if they tell you they run sequences or get on all the equip-run, don't walk away
~they should tell you your dog will learn target, go outs, contact behaviours and ground work.
~should have competing students.
~watch a lesson, are the dogs happy? are they getting results?
~watch the teachers lesson style, is this someone you can learn from?

thats all I can think of for the moment.

L

Lyka_01

Agree with that Dekka good point...
Just learn how to trained your dog first...
Your outline was great better follow that one...

chanda

if you already found an agility class dont forget to ask some members if the teaching is good you will get some idea by how the members experiences in the class.

Dekka

Just try me..
if you already found an agility class dont forget to ask some members if the teaching is good you will get some idea by how the members experiences in the class.
IME this does not work. If the people are training with the person, obviously they will think that person is good, or they would not stay there. I can think of one person in this area whos students love her, she herself isn't a bad competitor. But if you go to a trial and watch her students and compare them to pretty much any one else's and there is a huge difference. And once the students have left her and gone to other trainers, they often wonder why thy didn't notice that before. That is why I suggest going to a local trial and talking to people, esp people who handle the same breed or similar type of dog to yours.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks a bunch!

I'll definitely be going to trials and looking around. I have until next August as we'll be in OKC until then. We'll be redoing basic obedience with me on the lead this time, I think.

Another thing- for anyone in the US (or elsewhere) what venue do you run? I hear AKC courses are pretty choppy comparatively speaking?

What'd be the best for a beginner?

Dekka

Just try me..
AKC tends to be less challenging than USDAA. NADAC is flowing but fast and requires less skill, but they don't use all the equip. Do you have CPE? its pretty easy.

All are good for begginer dogs as the dog has no idea of the differences. I suggest people stay with fun matches until the dog is competent.

BostonBanker

I do CPE and USDAA. CPE is a great introduction to agility. The courses are relatively simple, equipment is introduced slowly (no weaves or seesaw in level one), and everyone is fairly "beginner friendly".

I prefer USDAA, because people do tend to take it a bit more seriously, and that works better with my personality;).

L

Lyka_01

Oh there's a lot of good advise there that can help us how to find a good agility class for out dog...thanks anyway...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Hey another question... where do you start looking to find a meet? I'd really prefer to not do AKC I can find those easy enough, though.

Jynx

also check out www.cleanrun.com they have a listing of agility clubs/training by area.

www.nadac.org also will list nadac trials..

I have done akc, nadac and cpe. I like them all for different reasons..Akc for me is VERY slow moving..nadac and cpe trials move right along.

My sister with the "pap",,Jacque,,does the above 3 as well..She really likes CPE, and he's almost got his CATCH , in AKC he is going for his mach, and I'm not sure she does alot of nadac anymore. CPE can be a little more confusing than akc /nadac in that they have "levels" and to get a title you must complete all the games and standard classes in that 'level'..however, it's ALOT of fun, and a really good way to get introduced into agility itself.

I was never into USDAA, because of the heights required, but I think any venue can be loads of fun.. (especially with a pap!! My sister's is a hoot to watch!)
diane

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks to the both of you! *faves websites*

Jynx out of curiosity how big is your sis's pap? Mine is a whopping 5 1/2 lbs so I'm sure she'll be one of the tiniest ones out there! :D

Members online

No members online now.