Do you crate new dogs/puppies overnight?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Oh good it's not just me! :p But yeah, they'd go out at like 10 or 11pm and then again usually around 6am. I should add too that they weren't having accidents in their crates either, otherwise I probably would have sucked it up and done a midnight run. lol.
Yeah, I've never offered them as a matter of course. But if the dogs cries persistently and can't settle back down, I'll take them out to avoid an accident. I'd think offering them regularly would only help train the dog to pee at night.

Toller_08

I crate at first. The time frame in which they stop being crated depends on the dog. Ripley was about a year old, Dance was 5 months, then had a period of being crated again due to a bad habit she formed, and then got her freedom back completely at about 4 years. Not sure when Keira got the privilege to sleep loose, but I think just shy of a year.

I've been tempted to let Journey sleep on my bed, but I have a really hard time sleeping with a dog and I also don't want the hair everywhere. So in the crate she stays, because I know she definitely would not behave loose on the floor with the other dogs. She'd pester them all night and might pee on their beds eventhough I'd consider her housebroken during the day. I just have a hard time trusting puppies, so they stay crated until I feel comfortable not crating.

Flyinsbt

Tully was supposed to sleep in a crate when I got her, but she screamed a lot, and I work long shifts, so it was hard to take. Then I left her for a weekend with a friend, and my friend let her sleep in the bed, so the noise escalated. I gave up, and let her in the bed. She was fine. She was really always fine, though, she pretty much housebroke herself. I had a dog door, and she just followed my mature dog through it.

The pups I've had since then have slept in a crate until I think they deserve bed privileges. Which takes a few years.

BostonBanker

I think I crated Gusto for a few nights; I actually can't recall. If I did, it didn't last long.

Meg was an adult, and while not housebroken when I got her, easily able to sleep through the night.

Both my dogs sleep in my bed, and I'm a very light sleeper. If someone thinks about getting up, I'm awake with them before they are off the bed. It didn't take too long before Gusto was able to sleep through the night as well.

Hudson did the first night or two in his crate with middle of the night potty breaks. Then we had a hurricane and I did not want to go out in that, so he slept on the bed with us. Once he learned to jump off the bed, the rule became, if you can't settle in the bed you sleep in your crate. Last night he cuddled with us for about an hour and then was done with it and into his crate he went.

If we could get our act together and clean up the bedroom I wouldn't have a problem with him loose, but I don't see that happening.

ACooper

Orson was around 4 months old when he came to us and I didn't even OWN a crate until he was about 6-7 months old, LOL

If I had been a more 'modernly informed' owner, I would have definitely had a crate with Phoebe. She was nearly a year old when we adopted her, but she was an untrained, crazy wild child! Trash raiding, door darting, inappropriate chewing WILD GIRL! She had TWO great things going for her, 1. She loved the kids beyond all else and 2. She was SUPER MEGA POTTY TRAINED. Mostly (IMO) because she was very picky on where she went....she only liked going on grass, LOL Some how we muddled through and got her trained out of all those bad habits without a crate.........but a crate SURE would have made my life easier!

Enter Orson. He was nearly 4 months old when he came here. Not potty trained, but not nearly as wild as Phoebe had been. I worked for the school back then and this was first week of July, therefore I had 2 months before I had to go back to work. He started out sleeping in my room on his bed from day one with ZERO issues. That boy has always liked to sleep, and sometimes even NOW has to be woke up for breakfast, LOL.........so ya, he slept all night never getting up to potty.

We got a crate before I returned to work. If/when we ever get another puppy........I will DEFINITELY be using the crate!

JacksonsMom

Well, I did try the crating thing with Jackson at first. Being a new puppy owner at 18, and I was just trying to do the 'right' thing. I wanted to make sure he got potty trained, etc, etc. That probably lasted all of... 4 weeks maybe? And even so, 99% of the time, I ended up putting the crate ON the bed with me so he would go to sleep, LOL (thank God for small dogs/crates).

He still would wake up once in the middle of the night at that point, and then the very night I just decided to let him sleep on my bed not in the crate was the first night he slept through the night. The rest is history as they say.

He's always proved to be pretty trustworthy though. Especially when I'm sleeping. He's never gotten into stuff while I'm laying down or in bed.

I only kept Luna crated overnight her first week home because she was spayed and needed to be cared for closely. The next week she slept in my bedroom next to my bed and y the third week she was allowed to sleep on my bed. She was 4 months old when I adopted her so she was an older puppy too.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Wesley was crated overnight, he gradually got to sleep in the room w/o being crated. He isn't allowed to roam free overnight, he's in the room with someone with the door shut.

I haven't decided about Futurepuppy. I'm thinking to probably have her on the bed, considering she'll be so small I doubt she'll hop down. Either that, or crated right next to it on a chair. Considering she'll have to be in an x-pen/crate set up for a couple hours from a young age, I don't really want to have her in a crate all night. That, and I want it to be a more gradual build up to longer hours, so that she really loves her crate.

Katem

I always crate at first. Even kittens :lol-sign: I'm very much not a cat person, so when the kittens came into the house, they were treated like puppies. Couldn't supervise them? Into a crate they went.

Bear was already an adult when I brought him home. I honestly don't remember exactly how long it took before he was sleeping in the bed, but I think it was fairly quick.

Pig had horrible diarrhea for the first few nights, so I ended up keeping her in a plastic carrier in an attempt to contain the mess. I slept on the couch downstairs so that we'd be very close to the door and the sink. How I ended up keeping the little bug I do not know.

So she spent about a week crated next to the couch, then moved upstairs to a crate in my room. It didn't take long for her to transition to the bed. She was still very young, maybe four months? She's very much a cuddler, so I didn't have to worry about her leaving the bed and getting into trouble.

Both dogs could still be crated overnight without freaking out, which is all I really care about.

I think Diesel was probably the only dog I ever brought home and didn't crate, but his original owners never really kennel trained him so for our sanity he slept with us from day one, and we worked on the kennel over the last year. Now I am happy to say that he will go into them if requested, he doesn't LOVE it but he has resigned himself to the fact that he might as well just go in and be quiet, lol.

Members online

No members online now.