Toughest decision of my life

LauraLeigh

I'm returning Chick to her breeder on Sunday, thank God Lynn is able to go with me because I'm likely to be a mess...

Since the separation, and buying my own house, I've realized how cruel it is to her to be stuck here for 10 sometimes 11 hours while I'm at work, if she was an older adult dog it might be a little more doable for a puppy it's brutal...

This is the single hardest choice I've ever made with with regards to an animal, it also will mark the first time in my life going all way back to childhood that I've lived without a dog

I'm almost as torn up about having to make this decision as I was walking away from my marriage sad as that sounds

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
No one will puppy sit fr you? IF I were closer I would. I don't think you should be without a dog after all you have gone through.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I don't know much about Chick but lots of people have dogs and work full time. I'm gone 10 hours a day 4 days a week and so are my coworkers. It was an adjustment but the dogs are doing well. We are really active before and after work and on weekends. Mia still gets an hour of exercise a day and much more on weekends and fridays. Especially if you can get a potty break at lunch time. Overall dogs are very adaptable animals.

I sometimes feel guilty but I think that's just me overly humanizing them. The worst part will be when she's a puppy but that won't last long.

krissy

I'm gone 9-10 hours a day for work and Kili is only 16 months old. It's not ideal and we LOVE my days off when we can hike and go to the pet store... but at the end of the day they have a good home and seem pretty happy.

There are days when I'm gone pretty much all day and all night. That only happens once a month at most fortunately, but I literally see my dogs for about a half hour total. I hate it but fortunately it's not too often. Even when I have a normal day though, now that it's -27C outside... the dogs get almost no exercise because it's just not feasible.

I don't know the entirety of your situation. If you really feel this is best then that is absolutely what you should do. Some dogs do need more time than others after all, and maybe there are other things going on that make it more difficult than just a 10 hour work day. Hugs to you no matter what happens.

crazedACD

I agree with the above. I don't know you LauraLeigh but I know you have been through a lot lately. I really hope you choose to keep at least one dog in your life, whether it is Chick or another (lower energy?) dog. Is dog daycare, or a dog walker an option? There are always lots of people advertising dog walking in my area.

LauraLeigh

Thanks everyone :)

If it were just getting her past the puppy stage I'd likely find a way to make it work, but she's also from one of the top breeders in her breed and on breeder terms, I am required to breed her once, at this point in my life there's no way I could do right by her.. Or afford the time off to be with her while she whelps

Thanks everyone :)

If it were just getting her past the puppy stage I'd likely find a way to make it work, but she's also from one of the top breeders in her breed and on breeder terms, I am required to breed her once, at this point in my life there's no way I could do right by her.. Or afford the time off to be with her while she whelps
Have you whelped litters before? I am sorry as I dont know the background. I would just assume the breeder would be taking her back for the whelping or that it would be n option (and also assuming at her young age she may end up not being bred since there is no way of knowing how she is going to end up yet)

LauraLeigh

I have, I used to breed JRTs, my breeder is 5.5 hours away across the border, and yes breeding her is dependent on health clearances and suitability.... However I highly doubt she won't end up suitable to breed

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
LauraLeigh, I am so sorry. I hoped you could make it work but there seem to be more things to consider than just how long Chick is left at home.
It's brave and admirable to do the best you can by your girl, especially after all the losses you've had.
I know you're a wonderful dog owner and you have my support no matter what your decision ends up being.

Members online

No members online now.