Where do you go with your dogs?

stafinois

Professional Nerd
My in-laws have 300 acres, so we can go out there if we want. Usually we stick closer to home. There is a fenced horse arena at a park less than a mile from here.

Elrohwen

I need to get in on this
Yes! Wine party! The hardest is when they have tastings and I'm trying to focus on getting him to stay while people randomly come up to pet him, and focus on the little plastic cup of wine in my hand so I don't spill it. lol The place is Viscount, on Rte 9. Luckily there are rarely other dogs there, so he keeps himself composed.

There is a 900+ acre multi-use recreational forest not too far from where I am. Dogs are allowed to be off-leash, but there are a lot of mountain bikers and I have seen horse hoof prints, so no way is Huddy going to be off leash there.
Which park is that? Not that Watson has off leash privileges at the moment, but it would be nice to check out a new place with the possibility of off leash (especially when our friends visit with their ACDx who is fantastic off leash and keeps Watson in line).

SaraB

There are several parks where I take the dogs hiking, one is 5 minutes from my work which is great for after work or on a long lunch break. One is adjacent to my dad's house and one is adjacent to my mom's house. All three are never busy, I think I've only seen a small handful of people at all of them all combined over the years. All three are huge, the smallest is 80 acres. We do off-leash but only because I have great recalls on all three of my dogs.

For training, we got to the training center I teach at. I am up there teaching or working generally 5-6 days a week, so they get a lot of training time. During the summer, we go to local sports fields to practice disc. I generally only go to places that have sprinkler systems as the grass is always nice and soft (too many slips on slippery grass!). We have 3-4 that I frequent within 10 minutes of my house or work.

As far as swimming goes, there are a bunch of lakes with public access docks, beaches or rivers close by. Again, I have 3-4 spots I frequent in the summer.

We don't really do leashed walks. They are boring, I hate small talk with neighbors and my dogs get frustrated.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Where do you take your dogs, for exercise/training?
In the warmer weather Siri goes to a couple different park areas where I can either run her off leash or have her on a long line. Usually it is playing ball with training mixed in. Even with a coat and boots she can't last long in the winter, so I take her to work with me and play fetch downstairs where they do surgeries :eek:
Frodo doesn't really do structured exercise or training. I walk him around my apartment complex/the nearby hospital complex on a 30 foot flexi. Training is done in the apartment or at pet stores.

Walking/hiking, do you have to go to a designated park, or is there 'free land' you use? Do you have to drive there, or can you walk from your house?
For walks we just go as far as we want to from my apartment complex. There are different routes we can take and such. For hiking we go to various state parks, MN has amazing state parks. We utilize them as much as possible.

What about training, particularly if you 'seriously' train, say for obedience/agility/IPO etc etc? Do you do things differently winter vs summer? Are you in a club, training facility, or do you train on your own, where do you do it?
I don't seriously train, but we go to private's at a facility and then train at home/in fields in between lessons. Megan and I are going to start renting a ring for rally practice though, as I'm hoping to debut Frodo in the next month or so.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
For exercise we run around our acreage. We have 6 acres, though are neighbor has 11 and is fine with us messing around on his property.
For more intensive hikes, well, we venture deeper into the desert among the cliffs and whatnot.

My favorite place to go is what used to be a mine, but now is often used for four-wheeling, riding horses, and in my case, hiking with the doggehs.

What you can't really tell in the pictures is that from my standpoint above, it goes about 100 feet down.
The ridge in a the background is a great hiking place, too. I only go there when I'm either feeling adventurous or Fable seriously needs to burn some energy. The route we take takes about 7 hours.

Yes! Wine party! The hardest is when they have tastings and I'm trying to focus on getting him to stay while people randomly come up to pet him, and focus on the little plastic cup of wine in my hand so I don't spill it. lol The place is Viscount, on Rte 9. Luckily there are rarely other dogs there, so he keeps himself composed.

Which park is that? Not that Watson has off leash privileges at the moment, but it would be nice to check out a new place with the possibility of off leash (especially when our friends visit with their ACDx who is fantastic off leash and keeps Watson in line).
It's the Hereford Multiple Use Area, just off the Taconic. The only reason we know about it is that we looked at a house that was right beside it.

Members online