Average Life Span

I'd put the BC/ACD mix at about 14, and the retrievers around 12...

Now, why is my retriever 2 years younger than my herding dog? I think I messed that one up. The cat is 2 years older than the herding dog too.
My husband grew up with a BC/ACD and he lived to 19, he was from working/farm dogs.

Oh ya the rest of the question, would I look for a short lived breed, no, life span deters me, just as Heath issues do.

crazedACD

My breed has already been covered, though I think it's worth it to say there are a few individual ACDs that have lived to 20+, and one to around 29 years old. (3rd oldest dog ever?). I don't think Romeo will make it quite there, though.

Pointers are 12-14 years, can't find anything about what they commonly pass on from. Skye scares me because she is white and I worry constantly about cancer.

I don't think I would mind a dog with a short lifespan, but I am concerned about quality of life while they are alive. GSDs are one that I just don't feel stay active into their golden years. Casey lived until she was 13 and had few health problems, but around 9 or so she dropped off the activity levels. It was a concern later in life if she would run or play hard that she would be very sore later. I've had Skye for 8 years or so and I can't imagine her having much arthritis or having mobility problems, I really like that :).

stafinois

Professional Nerd
I agree with this. I've seen some die really young from cancer. I've also seen some live into their high teens. I just found out about some heart issues in one of my dogs families and its scaring the crap out of me now.

Brando lived to be 15. I was shocked. He lived through so many health issues (FCE, bleeding ulcer, liver damage, idiopathic baldness, and others) and came from lines not known for longevity. Go figure.

Grant was 12 and had hemangiosarcoma.

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
For Beagles it says 12-15 years old.

Beau was barely 11 years old when cancer took his life :(. Cancer and QOL are the main killers in the breed :/ I've known Beagles to live to 16-17. Beau was supposed to live forever :mad:

For Labs 12-14 years old.

Which seems to be about the average I've seen.

Torch

Henry is some sort of houndy mix and I think he will live forever. He's 7 now and still whips the crap out of Rhys. He's not a high energy dog (mellowed out around a year old) but he's still very fit, agile, and active. His endurance is pretty awesome too. ***Knocks on wood*** he's healthy as a horse, too. Never had a major problem.

Rhys is an Amstaff and the age range for him is something like 12-16 years, which sounds about right to me. He comes from long lived dogs, and I think he had several great grandparents alive when his litter was whelped. Which is saying something since his mom was almost 6 when they were born. I know he had one great granddam pass recently a month shy of 16. His dad's dad is still very active and healthy at 10 or 11.

Many of the healthier APBTS/ASTs that I've seen age pretty gracefully and still have that terrier spunk into their teens. Cancer probably the most common killer, and many of the oldies suffer from arthritis, as was mentioned previously.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
11-12 for Basset Hounds
:( Daisy is 13.5 and I'm desperately trying to keep her forever.

Plotts, I have no idea. 11-13 seems average depending upon the size of your Plott. The first Plott to go to Westminster was like 11? I think? When he died, but he was a HUGE dog. Liz doesn't really act like she's aged (she's always slept 22 hours out of a day) but she's also only 44lb or something.

StillandSilent

From what I've researched, coyotes in captivity tend to love13-15 years which fits in nicely with bcs. I figure &Gambit will live on into eternity, since the really nuerotic ones never seem to die.

LHWs seem to be extremely healthy,so I'm hoping that Shaman will live a long life as well even though he's from a byb

Members online

No members online now.