Best Friends

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Ever have a dog that your dog get's along with perfectly?

I'm talking about a dog that your dog, for whatever reason, just fits perfectly with that other dog.

For example, Talon and Zoe.

Zoe is a big 90+lb St. Bernard mix that is a big lovable goofball for the most part, but she has her issues. She can be extremely possessive with other dogs, but only on her property. Weither it's food, a high value toy, or her bed/crate, she can get very bully'ish with the other dogs. They are working on that with her and it's manageable, but for some reason Talon is the only dog she let's push her around! He can do whatever he wants to to her and she let's him without so much as a huff. He has taken her favorite toy, which resulted in her going "Ok, let's play than!" He has accidently grabbed her muzzle pretty hard during play, where she normally would've have given a loud roar and stopped play immediately, she did nothing but continue to play.

Even though she is the one who wants to control most play with other dogs (on her property), she let's him take total control of how they play and when.

On the other side of it, Talon is NOT a rough player. He hates to be body slammed and jumped on, but with Zoe he is all about wrestling! She is the ONLY dog I've ever seen him wrestle like this with! Also, he's never learned how to play bow when playing, but Zoe has been slowing teaching him how! In the last 3 days I've seen him play boy 6 times to her!! It's amazing to see.

These two even each other out and make a perfect pair. Artimis had this little chihuahua named Sparky at the dog park when he was a bit younger that was there a lot when we were. Those two were so perfect playing together. They loved each other, it was sad when we had to stop going because we moved. :/

So, does your dog have a doggy best friend?

BostonBanker

Meg is very, very dog selective, so it is good that she does have a doggy best friend. It was well planned though - I'd had Meg for maybe half a year when my good friend decided that she wanted a dog as well. The three of us (Me, my friend, and Meg) drove to a 'rescue' that I suspect was actually some sort of puppy mill to look at a puppy from Pet Finder, who immediately did not click with Meg. Before we left, the woman said "I'm not supposed to show you this, but..." and opened the door to a shed that had probably 10 litters of puppies in it. Sadie came home after meeting Meg, and they have been good friends ever since.

Early on (holy cow Meg was dark back then)

Not many dogs could do this with Meg!

It is less shocking that Gusto has a BFF, because he loves pretty much everyone, but for sure his best friend is His Golden Kippie. I wanted to be sure to socialize Gusto with retrievers early on, since I have seen so many dogs who don't tolerate their play. Someone I knew had three, including a young male just a few months older than Gusto. They hit it off right away, and are still our regular hiking buddies. Even Meg has learned to tolerate them. Gusto practically turns himself inside out whenever he sees Kippie.

Cricket usually prefers smaller dogs (she pretty much LOVES any little dog), but interestingly enough one of her best friends is this big guy, Buddha:

Unfortunately they haven't seen each other in a year or so, since both I and Buddha's owner have been away at different colleges, but we used to get together all the time for hiking or skiing.

Journey's best friend is definitely her littermate sister, Roxy, who is owned by local girl about the same age as my younger sister. They are good friends and the dogs are good friends too, lots of doggie playdates. I can't find a picture of them together, but here's a picture of Roxy since she's pretty:

mrose_s

BusterLove
Quinn is soo dog selective. Most dogs she's fear aggressive with if they get in her face. She is getting more tolerant and she is learning she can walk away but I still have to make sure I'm mixing her with the right dogs.

Then... she just see's one. And for some random reason they are soul mates.

Her #1 BFF is my mum's best friends dog, Diesel. They share... similar interests. That is, staring at the horses through the fence. He is a large BC/Hunting Dog mix type boy. 3 times her size, but she's known him since he was a puppy and she was dog social.

She also adores my bosses entire male mini poodle.

The foster dog I had for about a week, I took on because Quinn had decided she liked her for some reason (probably the only bitch that Quinn has liked)

And another couple of entire males, a Weim and a Curly Coat retriever. I think she's just a hussy. I was supervising them playing and waiting for it to get too much for her. But she was totally happy with rough wrestling and full on play with them. But the wrong dog just sniffing her butt for too long will severely reprimanded. :rolleyes: two step forward, one step back with this dog.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Penn& Briar are like brother& sister. They just adore one another ..Penn also grew up thinking Briar was her strange looking brother. My dog gets along with herders a MILLION times better than other breeds. Even playing with Vizslas, she'd ditch them for a herder.

pennBriar by yjessome, on Flickr

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My two dogs are great friends most the time but Summer really doesn't play much anymore (to Mia's dismay). Mia tries and sometimes Summer will lightly wrestle but its short lived.

Mia's favorite buddy to play with is Nard.

This is constant when they are together. As fast as they can possibly go. Mia grabs him by the tail and drags him around. Yesterday they were playing chase and about scared me to death by flying off the retaining wall. They just kept on running.

DSC_0912 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

I really wish I had my own Nard to live with because I feel like it's so good for Mia.

Mia's other best friend we sadly moved away from. He was this big old farm collie type dog named Lucky. Very calm and protective and just fantastic with the papillons. They loved him. We used to go walking with him almost every day. The paps would just run all over him and kiss all over his face. I'm pretty sure he had no idea why my guys wouldn't sit still. He took his charge very seriously and once we had a dog come up behaving somewhat aggressively and he got between that dog and Mia to protect her. I think if Mia had her way I'd get her some brawn to back her up, lol.

rf by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

This happened all the time. He'd lay down and they'd just run all over him and circle around him and give him kisses.

DSC_0095 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

DSC_0134 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

He had the best squirrel face.

DSC_0285 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Rowan's girlfriend and my favorite dog that isn't mine, Kaylee.

Definitely Kaylee.

She belongs to my good friend/former roommate.

They beg together.

They share their space well.

They're always in sync.

They both know how to be really ridiculously cute.

Basically? They're in love.

They're both kind of snobby with other dogs but took to each other right away. I'm pretty sure that Kaylee is the one who convinced Rowan that he's actually a herding dog. They don't get to hang out a lot now that we're living different places, but when we do they're still as crazy about each other as ever. If I ever go over there without the boys, Rowan goes absolutely nuts when I come home and he smells Kaylee on my clothes.

We even got their portrait taken a few years ago (unfortunately they proceeded to eat it when I left it on the desk one time. Punks.)

Tashapaws

Spanish Pup
I think Natasha has two. A little bulldog mix that's a lot smaller than her, they will play, share sticks, race each other... once there was a long rope in the park, and each one of them grabbed an end ant they started running around, getting it tangled in the benches.
The other is a female GSD X Mastiff called Perla that will wrestle a lot with her. At first Natasha was bigger than her, now she's smaller, but they control their strength. It's curious, because Natasha is getting fearful of long-haired dogs that are bigger than her, but she loves this one.

Shakou

Charlotte's best friend is a coydog named Athena :D

Ma'ii has no friends, only punching bags.

Members online

No members online now.