Ruckus is here!

~Janessa

Red Hot Chilli Paws
But the pics are not. :( Sadly, I don't own a camera.

I'm just letting him explore the house right now. He's really nervous, but he's gorgeous! He has no idea what in the world he's doing here, poor thing. :( But he'll get used to it, I hope.

Should I let him sleep out and about in the house tonight, or confine him to the crate?

Also, do you know how GORGEOUS a Terv is? Oh, I just wanna squish him. :D

As for you who don't know anything 'bout my Ruckus boy, he's a purebred Terv from a shelter about 30 minutes away from me. The poor dog's owner died in a car accident, and is REALLY shaken up he can't find his owner. :( Poor boy.

Dekka

Just try me..
I would crate him, he will likely feel more secure in a 'den' and as you don't know him, he may have some bad habbits that you don't want him to practise.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i would make sure he knows where his crate is now during the day...with a comfy blanket and leave it open, then tongiht i would confine him to the crate (start how you mena to go on) its likley hed feelmore secure in his den and loose in a strange house.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so glad you're giving him a good home after losing his owner. How did he do last night?

lizzybeth727

The poor dog's owner died in a car accident, and is REALLY shaken up he can't find his owner. :( Poor boy.
Hate to tell ya this, but he's probably not, like, pining over his owner anymore. Dogs live very much in the present, and they live a lot by the whole "out of sight, out of mind" principle. He probably was shaken up from being at the shelter (kennels are not great environments for dogs to live in), and he's a little shaken up being in a new place with all new people.

Are you in your new apartment now??

Barb04

Super Moderator
I have to disagree with the dog not "pining over his owner anymore". I've had people as well as other pets come & go in my life and my dog would look and miss that person for a long time. I think it may be an individual thing.

~Janessa

Red Hot Chilli Paws
The past few days have gone great. :D He's really smart, and very patient. He sleeps in his crate at night on his own and LOVES to cuddle.

And I have to agree with Barb and disagree with the 'pining over his owner anymore'. I remember when my black lab Stone died, my sweet little sheltie looked at his sun spot for weeks on end, and everytimes she came into the door she would stop and listen for him to go greet her.

lizzybeth727

But this is what your dog's been through - Owner died, so he got taken out of his house, possibly lived with someone else for a few days. Then got put in the shelter, which is very noisy and stressful, lots of strange people and dogs, very overwhelming. Then after who-knows how long he was in the shelter, he's now in a new house with new people who actually like him.

I'm still doubtful that he's "pining" and more convinced that he's doing what ANY dog from ANY background would do after so much confusion over the past couple of weeks - he's simply settling in.

It's kind of like how when you move away from your parents for the first time - you don't miss them so much because you're busy with other adventures, while they probably miss you more because the house feels much emptier with you gone.

Members online

No members online now.