Baking chicken liver?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So, I bought some chicken liver to try and make treats, but they are way too hard to cut with a knife while raw, so I want to bake them and then cut them up. So, how long should I bake the whole livers?

Jynx

I tried using chicken liver in my treats once, they didn't seem to do as well as say, beef liver. I usually mix the 'meat', (whatever it is or salmon), with something like organic oat flour and minced garlic, you want it rather 'pasty' feeling. Spray or use a coated meatloaf pan, and I normally weigh out a pound of mixture to a pan..I usually bake at 350 around 30 minutes,,cut up into tiny bits.
diane

Dekka

Just try me..
THe best way to do chicken liver treats (according to my dogs)... Boil liver for a while this gets rid of the fat. Chicken livers are fattier than beef, this makes them go 'creamy'. Verses firm like beef liver.

Blend (can be done with a fork) livers with a bit of the boiled water till you have a slurry. Add oatmeal or spelt (I like the rolled spelt for dogs...) an egg, and some grated cheese. Smush out on a non stick baking sheet till its 1/4 inch thick. Bake for a while at something like 350. Immediately after taking out cut with plastic for (remember non stick sheet) This makes a million small treats great for training.

I need some training type treats for Tallulah . . . among other sorts of things, we're having some housetraining issues - she's spent too much of her young life kenneled and is having trouble getting the notion that she can tell me when she needs to go out - and that she NEEDS to go OUT. Not just in a big room that isn't a cage. I figure she needs some reinforcement that it's a WONDERFUL thing to do her business outside.

I got to looking and thinking and I am going to try to get some time this weekend to make some biscotti style treats, maybe using oat and graham flour and molasses. We'll see what happens. Biscotti ought to be crunchy enough to encourage her to pause and enjoy the crunch instead of just slurping down something softer.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I found this...

Chicken Liver Treats

1 lb. chicken livers
1-1/2 c. cornmeal
2 eggs
1/2 c. dry milk
2 T. molasses
2 large cloves of garlic

Combine all ingredients into a food processor; blend until smooth. Pour into baking pan. Bake at 400 until sides pull away from the pan, or a knife comes out clean. When cool, cut into bite sized pieces and store in the fridge.

Dekka

Just try me..
Jess that is similar to what I make. But my dogs don't get corn (it does bad things to them..)

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Jess that is similar to what I make. But my dogs don't get corn (it does bad things to them..)
I didnt even notice the cornmeal :eek:

I was just browsing internet recipes and came across that..

what would be a good substitute??

I think I will attempt to make something for Chloe lol

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'm going to have to go back to the store tomorrow and grab some more stuff to make that, lol, thanks!!

And what the heck is spelt? What aisle would it be in?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It should be near the flour, it's a type of grain that's supposed to be wonderfully healthy for anything that eats it. I'm going to try my hand at making these as well; I need some good treats.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
I bought a cheap dehydrator that I use now, but pre-dehydrator, I used to boil beef heart and liver for a while, with some garlic in the water, (like 30 minutes or longer) then put it in the microwave for a bit (think over microwaved hot dog texture).....not really and truly dehydrated, but it made it a lot less icky to carry around.
Thats about the extent of my cooking skills :lol-sign:

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I make liver treats all the time for my dogs ( and their friends). I make them very simply and the dogs LOVE them. I use chicken or beef liver. First, preheat the oven to 250'F. then place the liver whole on a 13x15 baking pan sprayed with Pam or lightly greased. In about 15 minutes when the liver is firm, remove it and cut into small cubes. place back on pan and put back in oven. Every 15 minutes or so, shake the pieces around so they dry on all sides. When they are dry and crunchy you are done. i cut mine into really small pieces.

They keep well and are very fragrant. This is, for my dogs, the highest value treat of all. they are willing to do the taxes in exchange for these. The kids complain though, because the house smells like liver.

The beef liver is easier to work with, but the chicken is cheaper.

Dekka

Just try me..
drmom thats what I do with the beef liver, except I boil it first to get rid of some fat.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
drmom thats what I do with the beef liver, except I boil it first to get rid of some fat.
Have you seen what pet stores and feed shops charge for dried liver? I can get enough to last for weeks for under a dollar.

Dekka

Just try me..
Have you seen what pet stores and feed shops charge for dried liver? I can get enough to last for weeks for under a dollar.
Why do you think I make so many of my own dog treats? With 7 dogs to train (well hubby trains one) and training for multiple sports...I need copious amounts of healthy treats.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
The liver works perfect for me- Mini is prone to putting on weight, and tiny liver cubes keep her happy and trim. I will not have one of those Bratwurst beagles I see everywhere. And uncle Fred is extremely fussy about what goes in his mouth, and he likes liver- so it works and it's easy and cheap. What's a little liver aroma anyway? I just tell the kids my mom used to make me eat liver once a week-all they have to do is smell it.

The dogs feel differently, they sit in the kitchen and gaze lovingly at the oven during the entire process.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I bake chicken hearts, gizzards, and lungs, instead of livers. They are way easier to cut into pieces and bake, and aren't crumbly and gross after being baked. I hate handling liver, and smelling it... and too much of it gives my boys LETHAL gas.

Members online

No members online now.