4 new members to the house, advice and experiences?

TahlzK

I got confirmed news from mum that my brother and his two kids are moving in in a few weeks. Jay who is two and Laila who is four. I am a tad concerned since I own Serenity who is a bite risk, she is a fearful dog. I know given time she will adjust and learn to love these kids, I just need to get her to that point. She is pretty alright around them at the moment, while muzzled of course! She seeks their attention at times. My biggest concern though is she is more of a bitch when Sunny is around since he hypes her up. So, I plan to put him away when she interacts with the kids. She is alright with my brother. He isn't afraid of her, he's firm with her, she listens and keeps her distance.

I have already planned out how I'll contain her/manage her here while the kids are living here. It'll be a 50/50 custody so they will be here a lot and of course they'll want to go outside.

Has anyone here dealt with a bite risk dog, introducing/getting them used to new kids? Does anyone know anyone who has done this? Did the dog ever warm up to the kids?

Would you allow interaction? Any tips on how to properly let the dog and the kids interact? At the moment I've had her muzzled but I've been treating her while she is around the kids. She generally does behave around them. I've done a lot of work so far and she has how stopped barking at them/trying to nip at their feet/chase them.

My brother also had a SBT puppy, Leo. He is bringing Leo with him. Sunny loves Leo. Serenity is alright with him. She is now at the stage that she will calmly behave around him/maybe play a small game of chase (rare experience though) She will have a go at him or growl at him if he puts his paw over her shoulder. Which, I of course put a stop to. I try to catch him before he does it.

She has met him in my brothers yard. In my yard, I haven't let her loose with him, she's been kennelled. She is way to hyped up when Sunny is around and she just wants to chase him. Not sure what she wants to do since I wouldn't allow her to chase him. I'm hoping all three can mingle calmly, I'll just need to get Sunny in to check. Hopefully after a few meetings, they'll be calmer around one another.

How can I make sure I do a proper introduction between the two? What can I do to hopefully start up a bond with them? I plan to treat her when she's behaving around him, I'lll also stop his bad behaviour around her. Any other input? There's a high chance I'll be the main one caring for him so I'm hoping she learns to like his company so I can take them out together. He'll also be sleeping in my room. She currently sleeps in the crate. Should I crate him as well or am I alright to let him have roam around the room? Sunny will also be loose.

And I'm open to any advice/tips about having a third dog around. He isn't my dog, he is still my brothers but the fact is, my brother won't do anything with him and I'm the one who will have to deal with him so I'm going to train/exercise him to make my life easier. My brother won't do much with him except pet him. Maybe play with him.

Would it be safe to child proof the kennel and leave her out there while I'm not home? I'd child proof it so the kids couldn't stick their fingers in. Or, should I put a extra fence around the kennel, maybe crate her inside the kennel? I don't want to crate her in my room because its Summer here and it get HOT in my room because its a shed, it's made out of medal.

This isn't a forever thing. I don't know how long this will last for though.

Thank you.

Kilter

For the kids, personally I'd make sure she was always leashed and keep the kids away. Meaning she'd have to be in a bedroom at times and not always loose. You could do an xpen with a door and have that as a 'kid free' zone eventually, if she's showing signs she's not thrilled with the kids and what they're doing, walk her to the xpen and put her in, shut the door. Teach her that if she doesn't like the kids around, that's where SHE needs to put herself. Teach the kids to not go near, which might be hard at that age.

I would not stop her from putting the pup in his place, unless of course she does not stop and is going for the 'kill'. Snapping and growling is normal, and if you stop or correct her, she's going to learn just to go for the kill if she gets the chance or worse. And the pup likely needs to be told off, they usually are bratty.

Do lots of group walks with all three, tire them out. Get bones and chews and use crates to keep the dogs out of the kid's way and so on.

For the dog run, the kids are not old enough (IMO) to be outside alone, so your BROTHER should be out there with them and can teach them to leave the dogs alone. We have a dog run and the rule is the kids don't go there. My son lately has gone into the dog run to turn water on or something and it's fine, but other kids the dogs will usually bark at if they're acting goofy - then I step in and tell them to quit or kick them out of the yard to play elsewhere. Usually the dogs are not a risk though. If your dog will bark first, then use that as your cue to get in gear and do something about the situation. If she sees you doing that enough she'll relax and not think she needs to take action.

Good luck.

Snark

Mutts to you
What Kilter said, and I would add that your brother needs to step up and instruct his children on proper behavior, as in, leave Serenity alone unless YOU are there and give permission, no running right past her, loud yelling/screaming, no constant harassment, etc. If you say no more contact, he needs to back that up with his kids. He'll probably have to keep after them but it's a good lesson for them to learn about dogs and any other creature.

My sister's kids (now 4 & 6) love dogs but they don't have any (yet) and my sister has always been very strict with them when they interact with Riley (who doesn't do well with fast-moving, loud humans). I manage him and she manages her kids, everyone learns how to interact safely (lots of treats from the kids to Riley, and Sis calling a halt to all contact when I say he's had enough).

TahlzK

Thank you for replying Kilter! The x-pen is a great idea! I never thought of teaching Serenity to go to her own place if the kids are bothering her. It'll be easy to teach Laila to keep away from her, it's Jay who will be hard to teach.

She doesn't go in for the kill so if its safe to let her correct him, I will now. Thanks! I'll defiantly do lots of walks/chew bones and so forth.

I know he'll let Laila outside by herself. He won't let Jay outside by himself. That's my concern. My brother is good but I don't see him being a huge help, it'll be me teaching them about the dogs more then he will sadly.

--

Snark:

I will talk to my brother but I don't see him being much help, this is why I'm stressed. It's me taking on the roll of teaching them about the dogs. He allows Laila to snack Leo if he's 'bad' (his SBT pup) I've seen her kick him if he's naughty. Clearly not hard since she's four but I've seen it. We have different beliefs when it comes to handling dogs. She is NOT allowed to do that around my dogs, I've made that clear since day dot of her meeting them. When Leo comes here, she won't be allowed to do that stuff to him anymore. I'll also teach Leo to behave better. I baby sit for my brother a lot so my brother is fine of I discipline his kids.

-

Also, I have another question. Sunny is a tad toy possessive. I won't play with toys around strange dogs because its a fight waiting to happen. I thought I'd have to separate Sunny and Serenity as she grew but he's fine playing with toys with her, they sometimes get growly but they mesh so well and they work it out.

Now. I have owned a SBT before and he was stubborn, DA, would pick fights with Sunny, especially over toys. How can I work on hopefully allowing them to share toys? Sunny doesn't attack, he just growls, a lot. Leo is only a pup though and may choose to fight, not back down. I'm hoping I can teach them now to behave. What could I do to show Sunny, he has to share this toy. Should I just remove the toy each time he growls or?

Thanks.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Honestly, if your dogs are going to be out with his dog, I'd pick up all toys, all bones, basically, anything that they could possibly fight over. I'd also make sure your dogs are tired out some before letting them loose together -- especially Serenity.

As far as the kids and Serenity, Serenity should absolutely not be allowed near the kids unless you are there directly supervising. Basically, make sure Serenity is either with you, or put away, at all times. It's not forever, and it's better to be safe then sorry.

monkeys23

Would you allow interaction?
Hell no. Its NOT worth the risk and you need to have her safely contained (with multiple barriers and locks!) away from them when you are not there to directly protect your dog. Poor Serenity, this is gonna be stressful for her to have all that chaos in her house.

monkeys23

Tahlz, I just looked at photos you posted of Serenity with one of the kids and the puppy on another forum.

Do you realize how uncomfortable she is in that photo? Honestly, do you? She would BITE if she weren't muzzled and trying to please you.

I'm sorry, but you need to be real careful in this situation. A child could be scarred for life here. I would think real hard if I were you.

And for what its worth, I have a dog with issues. If I couldn't trust her, I'd have let her go. But that is my dog and my decision. I just could not live with myself if a dog I owned hurt a child. :(

TahlzK

Jess; Thanks. I'll make sure I pick everything up! That's easy done. The kids will never be left alone with her, if she is around them, she'll be supervised by me.

Monkey; Honestly, I think Serenity will adjust just fine given time. We have the kids over a lot and both dogs are left in the yard, screen door is shut and locked, I'm inside and I watch her. She doesn't care for them at all. She comes over to the door at times to interact (such as sniff, watch, lay down by the door) but she's never in a bad state. My only concern is when they are out and Sunny is out. She reacts badly at that point. If Sunny isn't around, the kids can run around and do whatever and she just keeps his distance from them. That's why I plan to keep Sunny locked away as well when the kids come out. Plus, my niece is scared of him a bit.

That image I took, I was stupid, I shouldn't have allowed that. I knew she wasn't going to do anything, that's why I allowed it. I thought long and hard after that.

I can't justify putting her down when I know I can keep them separate. As long as she isn't stressed/freaking out while they live here, I'm fine with keeping her alive. I don't think she will be stressing. She has been around them quite a lot these past few months and keeps improving. I love my brother but I'm not putting my dog down when he won't be living here permanently. I'd regret it so much when he left.

joce

Honestly if it were me I'd crate anytime I was not around in a room they can not poke fingers in. Even when you are home make play time in a kid free room.

Bottom line is if a kid gets bit the dog will be blamed. I wouldn't push anything other than this is how you greet a dog because you don't want them playing when no ones around.

I definitely would not allow interaction with other dogs and kids at the same time. May irritate even more.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Hell no. Its NOT worth the risk and you need to have her safely contained (with multiple barriers and locks!) away from them when you are not there to directly protect your dog. Poor Serenity, this is gonna be stressful for her to have all that chaos in her house.
This. I would never, ever let her - or the other dogs - around the kids unsupervised. If they already kick and hit the puppy, it will happen with yours when you are not looking. Maybe not intentionally, but kids are easily frustrated, and learning new house rules and proper behavior takes time.

If you must let her anywhere near the kids, buy a basket muzzle. Get one of the soft, squishy comfortable ones that Greyhound rescues sell. Keep it on her at all times, no matter how well-behaved the kids get or how happy and calm she seems. If she's a bite risk, she's a bite risk. You know it. If she bites a kid, even if it's completely provoked behavior, it will be your fault and she will probably end up being PTS. It's better to make that situation impossible in the first place than take the risk. :(

As far as toys go, I would keep them out of reach of all the dogs if Sunny can be sensitive over them. Make sure your pups have their own time away from the other puppy and the kids to play and such, and just keep toys out of it if you can.

TahlzK

Joce; That seems to be the plan, to crate her whenever she isn't with me. I'll probably take her out a lot more because things will be so hectic with another pup and the two kids, it'll give her time to have fun.

My niece and nephew are afraid of dogs sort of. So, all dogs won't be allowed together, they will be separated. Laila is afraid of Leo at times. The dogs will be managed carefully when the kids are out.

-

Nolu: I sadly do think my brother will let the kids around Leo my themselves. I'll try and keep Sunny away from them when I'm gone, I could kennel him actually. I will be teaching them differently once Leo is here. I know it'll take time as you've said.

I have a muzzle already, I think it's a good one. I don't know how soft it is, it's made out of some sort of rubber. I'll be keeping her muzzled at all times, I don't want to risk it.

Thanks for all your advice! I'll defiantly pick everything up. I'll be giving my two a lot of their own time, especially Serenity. She'll need it.

-

I found out my brother will be here within the week. I'm so nervous. Everything is sinking in now.. I wasn't expecting this or another month of two. God I hope everything works out. Life will be so much more hectic..

Members online

No members online now.