So I did somethin'

Hey all, I know I haven't been on the forum in awhile. After having to return Tulip I was pretty devastated. It all worked out, Tulip got adopted, but I had to do a lot of thinking about what kind of dog could fit into my home (if any) with Astro, and how my wants in a general pet (independence, aloofness, etc.) could or should merge with my wants for a sport prospect (biddability, handler focus).

Now I have a little sighthound princess! She's coming up on a year old in a few months, she's just a little doll. Incredibly outgoing, very intense but it's in that nice aloof sighthound package so it's much more tolerable to me. Loves loves LOVES discs and tennis balls and anything she can chase, just a fun little sprite.

Astro has made having her difficult, not gonna lie. The first night I had to just sit with him behind a baby gate clicking and treating for every little look at her, he was standing there snarling at her just for existing. And she has some separation anxiety that made doing the initial shut-down period hell on earth for awhile (the pipes on this dog...she literally sounds demonic whenever she makes noise, it's unreal). He's still guardy and she's pushy in certain ways so there's a LOT of micromanagement, but overall they are learning to get along, and I did much slower of an introduction/followed a shut-down period in the beginning, which helped :) It's been a very interesting process to say the least, and actually I feel so different as a trainer and as a dog owner that I almost didn't want to come back to this username/forum (too much pain surrounding how I fell apart with Tulip), but I guess that's just the learning process. And, one of the things Tulip showed me is that I really do have intense anxiety, so I've been addressing that independently, and it really shows in the dog handling.

If all goes well, she'll be my rally/obedience partner, do some racing and coursing (she's out of racing lines), and some fun trick stuff. If she had it her way she'd be a disc and flyball dog! We'll see, I'm still exploring different things with her.

So, pics! Here is Polly, a.k.a. The Whip, Miss Pocket, or in her less lovely moments, Pollyanna Dramatica. She went through the single most awkward adolescent look I've ever seen, she was soooo bony despite all my efforts, but she's filling out again now and looking less tragic.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks iriskai :) Your girl was actually one of my original inspirations for looking at whippets by the way, hope that's not weird to admit! I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner than it did (want smaller and soft and sporty but still independent, hmm what could that be?!). Will PM you her pedigree, have to dig it up, it's gotten lost in all the back and forth...

I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if you had gotten your whippet (whippet powers unite!).

Does she make the screaming warble noise? That one is Glitch's absolute favorite. It sounds like a wookie being run through a wood chipper.

Yay whippet world! They are such funny critters, I catch myself thinking of myself as having 1 dog + 1 whippet, as if they're not the same species.

She does indeed make the weird warbling scream! She legit sounds like she's being tortured, I brought her to work and my boss (who hears probably three-four dozen different dogs screaming their faces off in crates on any given work day) was like "is that....YOURS?" with a disturbed look on her face. "Wookie through a wood chipper" is probably going to be how I refer to that from now on :rofl1:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
She is so adorable! Congrats on the addition. :) I'm glad it's working out for you guys.

Thanks again guys! She really does bring something so different to the table, Astro and I are kinda the same (grumpy reactive jerks who guard their food :rolleyes:), and she's just...HAPPY. She is singlehandedly teaching both of us to lighten the heck up.

Members online

No members online now.