Field Chesapeake Bay Retreiver Breeders

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Hey, all! Now that Tuls is quickly approaching one year old, it is time to start seriously considering a Chessie puppy for the husband. I've been having mixed luck finding field breeders, so I came to the best place I know. ;)

There is one in NC that we are considering, but they are more sport based so I want to keep options open. Usual health tests and proven dogs are necessary.

TIA!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
There is one in northern Indiana, I think...what's the name...*google search* Feather Haven! May be worth looking in to.

I inquired when I was looking for Abrams, but I was essentially told I shouldn't put a time frame on bringing home a puppy (ha, military life for you...couldn't help it) and basically made me feel like an idiot, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that she produces good dogs.

Elrohwen

I have trained with a Chessie breeder for the past couple years and her dogs are awesome. She does confo, but her true loves are agility and hunting, so her dogs do it all. She is near me in NY. http://www.dut-chessechesapeakes.com/

PM me if you're interested and I can put you in touch. I think her next litter won't be until winter or some time next year.

meepitsmeagan

There is one in northern Indiana, I think...what's the name...*google search* Feather Haven! May be worth looking in to.

I inquired when I was looking for Abrams, but I was essentially told I shouldn't put a time frame on bringing home a puppy (ha, military life for you...couldn't help it) and basically made me feel like an idiot, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that she produces good dogs.
I'm finding some general info on gun dog breeders. Does she have a website that you contacted through?

Thanks Elrohwen! I'm not sure how I feel about their heads. I know it is super petty. Haha. How are they as far as temperament with strangers and such?

Elrohwen

I like the heads on some of her dogs better than others. I really like her current pup who she will probably breed next (and who is only 1.5, so the timeline isn't super soon). I don't seen her on the website though.

They are really good with strangers but aloof. I've met all the girls I think, and Murphy. They are all polite and usually willing to say hi and get a pat, but overall not interested in other people much beyond a brief tail wag. I've never seen them shy away or bark at anyone but they are far from labs temperament wise. None are reactive with other dogs in the slightest but aside from the youngest I haven't seen them interact either.

She might be able to help with recommendations, though from what she's said it sounds like chessie breeders as a whole aren't super friendly with each other, if you know what I mean. She would definitely be likely to know people who hunt though.

meepitsmeagan

Awesome. Just how they are supposed to act! I would definitely like to speak to her at least! I like the versatility of her dogs for sure.

meepitsmeagan

Maybe try her email? Two years ago her website was up and active - don't know why it is down now.
Interesting. Ok! Do you know anything about Blackwood? Apparently they are in MI. I was just doing a quick search on the gun dog site and there are lots of happy puppy owners. Haven't gotten any further with research yet.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Interesting. Ok! Do you know anything about Blackwood? Apparently they are in MI. I was just doing a quick search on the gun dog site and there are lots of happy puppy owners. Haven't gotten any further with research yet.
Abrams is a Blackwood puppy. :) I was very impressed with her dogs when I visited, and I think her happy puppy owners speak for themselves (me included hahaha). You can PM me if you want more information! I was also very pleased with the health tests she does on her breeding animals.

Abrams obviously isn't a hunting dog, but he was never supposed to be. The instinct is there, though. He will retrieve until he drops, he becomes extremely serious when he's working and focuses 100% on the job at hand (for him, that is retrieving a tennis ball in the ocean), and he has always been fascinated with birds. If I had wanted him for that purpose, he'd probably excell.

ETA: I believe her website is no longer maintained, but she is on Facebook!

Last edited:

meepitsmeagan

Abrams is a Blackwood puppy. :) I was very impressed with her dogs when I visited, and I think her happy puppy owners speak for themselves (me included hahaha). You can PM me if you want more information! I was also very pleased with the health tests she does on her breeding animals.

Abrams obviously isn't a hunting dog, but he was never supposed to be. The instinct is there, though. He will retrieve until he drops, he becomes extremely serious when he's working and focuses 100% on the job at hand (for him, that is retrieving a tennis ball in the ocean), and he has always been fascinated with birds. If I had wanted him for that purpose, he'd probably excell.
Wow. I feel like a dummy! I just messaged her, but I saw she has a 7 year old experienced hunter for rehome. Man that would be perfect. Yes, let's chat! I'm going to message you on fb.

Members online

No members online now.