Considering a Smallish Breed Down the Line

GraceTW22

Hi all! I have a Harlequin Great Dane pup, my second, and I LOVE him to pieces. I show him, and he's just a wonderful wonderful dog. I lost my little dog about a year and a half ago, a "maltese" who was given to me when I was in the fifth grade. While I couldn't see myself owning another maltese, or any breed that is quite so fragile and small, I have been missing having a little dog. I'd prefer to avoid a TON of grooming, but I don't mind a moderate amount. Lower energy would be preferred; I grew up riding horses and like a jack russell would in NO WAY be up my alley. I never left my little dog unsupervised with my last dane, and my current lives with two chihuahuas at the moment with whom he is very very gentle. Anyways, I thought I'd ask the chazzers if they had any thoughts. I'm kind of a blank slate. I've liked frenchies for years, but they're a little on the larger side and are (and this is kind of stupid, so feel free to tell me I'm stupid) well, kind of the flavor of the week right now. I've been looking through rescues, and perhaps one will jump out at me, but after all the heartbreaking health problems with my little one, I'm wary. Chazzers, any thoughts? Non AKC breeds that I might not have seen before? Thanks, guys!

Note: Don't worry, this would be well down the road. I'm just sick, in bed, and really wishing I had a little fella to cuddle with.

MicksMom

My small dog "wish" is a Chinese Crested The ones I've met have sturdy and had really sweet personalities. Or maybe an Affenpinscher? I have to say, tho, the sweetest "small" dogs I've ever met have been Cocker/Poodle mixes (aka Cockapoos).

GraceTW22

I keep coming back to the Cotons and the Frenchies, but have seen the Dandie Dianmont Terrier also, who is adorable. Any thoughts on these, personality wise?

MicksMom

I've never met a Cotton or a Dandie. I met one Frenchie years ago when they did a crop in at an obedience class I was in. They seem to have sweet personalities.

GraceTW22

Thank you! I did email a Frenchie breeder in the area to see if she would be attending the upcoming show around here, so we will see how that goes. I appreciate your input :)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Border terriers are my small dog want, they're hardy, known for being friendly (dogs and human), and have fantastic off switches which makes for a stable companion with the get up and go when you desire it.

Please make this happen so I can live vicariously through you.

I have to say, I really do love the frenchies, but I get what you say about flavor of the week. I really liked the couple of havanese we worked with but they would be higher grooming.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Havanese? Tibetan spaniel?

There were several cotons at akc agility nationals. Seemed like nice, friendly, rather easy going. I really love havanese though. They're adorable and very happy little dogs. I think my choice for small lower key dog though would be a tibbie. They're so cute and great dogs. A little more aloof though in my experience.

Cavaliers are another but the health problems are quite scary. But I love their temperaments.

Frenchies have some health issues though too.

GraceTW22

Hate to disappoint, AdrianneIsabel, but Borders don't really do it for me looks wise. I'll go hang out around the ring next time and see if maybe in person they get to me though? I've actually known several Havanese and while this may have been a reflection of their owners, "aloof" was definitely the word. Not really the personality I'm looking for. Some friends of mine have a Tibetian Spaniel, who is friendly and sweet but didn't really speak to me as "Must have one day" the way the first frenchies I met 7 years or so ago, but I'll check them out at the next I'm showing. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I hugely appreciate it, and I'll start trying to hang out somewhere other than the working ring :D

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have a customer who has a Dandie. Watson is AWESOME. Just a chill, go with the flow kind of dog.

But he isn't small. He is larger than my 29# corgi.

what about a dachshund? Or a Rat Terrier? Maybe one of the smaller spaniels?

ETA: What about a pom? They are SO FUZZY and adorable all the time.

BostonBanker

Cavaliers are really my favorite small, snuggly breed. I have friends that breed and compete them, and they are just so ridiculously sweet tempered. Zero dog issues, zero people issues. Just nice dogs. When I decide to go for my small dog, they are going to be pretty high on the list. With the right breeders, I'd be willing to risk the health issues for such a nice dog.

GraceTW22;2261033 I've actually known several Havanese and while this may have been a reflection of their owners said:
Wow, aloof is the opposite of the ones I knew...but I dont have that much experience with them, just the several that came in for training and day care.

JacksonsMom

Border terriers are my small dog want, they're hardy, known for being friendly (dogs and human), and have fantastic off switches which makes for a stable companion with the get up and go when you desire it.

Please make this happen so I can live vicariously through you.
I was gonna say BT because, well, they're my major 'want'. LOL. No really I find they would often fit people's wants in a dog though.

I would agree with MicksMom that cockapoos (while not a 'real' breed) tend to be overall great dogs, friendly disposition, easily trainable, and pretty hardy. As well as Havanese.

kady05

Oh PLEASE get a Frenchie.. then I'll come steal it from you ;) Cream male, please.

Really though, if I were to go "small", I'd get a Frenchie. Love love love them. My SBT friends (they're in VA) have some too, but I'm not sure if they're breeding anymore. I can ask if they know of anyone though, they're great people so they'd be able to point you in the right direction if you wanted to go that route.

And a complete OT side note.. this is Grace's boy!

Sorry. He's just so handsome, I had to share. A Frenchie would compliment him nicely, I think ;)

GraceTW22

Yeahhhhh.... I think I might go frenchie. Been a couple years of lusting after the creams and the more I look around the more I like them. Apologies for not being a very good listener to input. :doh: The gal I talked to a few years ago has a litter coming up this fall too... :eek:

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I've never known an aloof Havanese - we are close friends with a wonderful breeder and all of her dogs are peppy, confident and friendly. They rotate through all of our laps constantly when we're sitting down talking lol - they have no qualms about jumping up for cuddles with a stranger!

Gah there is a free hav on kijiji, he's like 11 months old or something and I want him so bad :(.

Anyhow back to your regular programming. I have nothing to add, I love my Shih Tzu, but I don't know if I want a second one.

Love Frenchies! :) Rocky is the perfect lap dog. He would sit in your lap all day if you would let him. He has good endurance, but is low energy. Although my Boston Terrier is the bigger snuggler, but he is high energy. Jack will go limp in your arms and you can cradle and hold him like a baby and he makes the most adorable snorting sounds.

Did love my old roommates Rat Terrier. She is an awesome dog. And got along wonderfully with her Great Dane! :)

Pops2

Not sure what would be a good choice, but I can tell you to avoid patterdale, fell and jagdterriers. Too much hunt in those breeds and they become very destructive in a typical pet situation.

Members online