Where are your dogs from? Where do you plan to get your future dogs?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Lucy is from a byb. Juno is from a decent breeder. Happy is from border collie rescue. Future dogs? Eh, I prefer breeders and will probably stick with them. But I said the same thing before getting Happy so I guess I don't know. :)

Hillside

Original Twin
Saga is from a local shelter and Nico is a breed rescue. Future dogs will almost for sure be from good breeders. It is important to me, after dealing with a bunch of Saga's issues to know family backgrounds now.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Blackie (deceased) - coworker of dad's found him as a stray, we took him when they couldn't find the owners

Brownie (deceased) - stray that showed up on our property

Rose (14yrs) - puppy from said above stray ^^

Chloe (5yrs) - a classmate from school had puppies she was giving away. I liked Chloe, and my parents let me keep her. LOL

Gracie and Cooper (4yrs and 2yrs) - Mike's Uncle passed away and we inherited his dogs.

Pretty much all of my animals to date have been, "Hey, here is this dog/cat/ferret/hamster/guinea pig/rat...you want it?" And I imagine many of my future animals will be that, as well. BUT, my next dog will most likely be coming from a reputable breeder. If one doesn't fall into my lap first.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Kaylee and Jayne are from a responsible breeder. Both were rehomes... Kaylee's original owner wanted a dog that would finish faster, and Jayne's original owners were not savvy enough to deal with the monster that is Jayne. ;)

Revy is from a responsible breeder. Her breeder consistently produces dogs that succeed at high levels of Obedience, Agility and Tracking... which is why I went to her!

Tallahassee is from Grace (RD) - same as Cricket. Same story too - street puppy from Mexico, sent up here for a better life!

My future dogs will most likely come from responsible breeders. With everything I do with my dobes, I prefer to stack the odds in my favor.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Kim -- Petfinder. Courtesy posting through a rescue for a private foster who pulled her from a ditch with a couple other unrelated dogs.

Webster -- Fish store. Dumped on store's manager at around a year old. I knew the guy due to my aquarium hobby and he knew I was looking for a dog.

Mira -- FCR breeders of sound multipurpose dogs who love to work as much as they love to be with their people.

Nextpuppy -- If all goes as planned, hopefully a Mirapup. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably hold out to see how Cookie turns out and if she is bred and to whom in several years. I'm yet to meet FCRs that fit me and my expectations better than their lines.

The other option if there are no Mirapups would a BC, either rescue or from one if a couple breeders.

Argon- Came from a local rescue. Oddly, I knew him as a puppy, when I worked there, but did not adopt him until I was no longer there.

Gambit- Shelter in NC. Don't even get me started on the disaster that was.

Folly- Foster for the same shelter Argon came from. Not keeping her, though she is a delight.

Cheshire- The token Persian. Private rehome after the owners established persian let it be known that he would prefer to be the only animal. Using pee.

In the future..who knows? I really, really want a LHW or a Silken Windhound, so it would be breeders for them. But if the perfect foster dog came along, I'm open to that as well.

Danny - adopted from a collie rescue
Cricket - from a responsible breeder
Journey - from a responsible breeder. We raised her litter but did not technically breed them.
Newton - bred by us.

Future dogs...if everything works out, my next dog will be another longhaired whippet of our breeding (hopefully one of Cricket's grandpups). I haven't really thought past there yet, though there are many breeds I'd like to try out, and I would like to rescue again at some point.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Still dogless but in the past, most were strays/ferals. A few came from breeders (those were bought when I was very young so I don't know the caliber of breeder). A few from people just getting rid of them.

My next dog will most likely be from a shelter, unless we choose one of the breeds we want that likely we won't be able to find in rescue, in which case I already have the breeders picked out.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Reputable breeders all around.

Rory was sort of a strange situation (he was a 5 month old puppy being re-homed), but I knew who his breeder was.

Future dogs will probably come from reputable breeders as well. I'd like to adopt at some point in the future, so I'd go the rescue or shelter route :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Since it's David's turn to choose the next dog (which won't be until one of the two are gone or we move into a house) it will likely be from a reputable breeder. He has an itch for some odd breeds lol

JacksonsMom

Got Jackson from a BYB in Baltimore City. Answered an ad in the classifieds.

Next dog will most likely come from a reputable breeder.

Airn

Cinnamon showed up at our door. I asked "Can we keep her?" and we did. She has not caused any problems. (That were of her doing.)

Gwen we got from a city shelter. As soon as I moved out I wanted a dog and I got one. BF picked her out, though. She was a bit too timid for me but his other choices were all black labs, so.... :rolleyes:

Any future dogs will be from shelters/rescues or something similar. Or perhaps a "I can't take care of it, do you want it?" situation.

I can't justify spending certain amounts on a dog. Especially since I don't DO anything with them. Gwen is my first experience with MY dog and while we want to get her into agility, I doubt I will get hard-core with it. I don't know enough.

I have the breeds I like but I really want to get in a place where I can foster. Next dog will hopefully be a Happy :D I would like to have a senior dog.

Red.Apricot

Elsie is from a breeder. If I ever want another Elsie (which is quite likely) I'd be happy go go back to them--she's fabulous.

Zobby is from an accidental breeding.

I won't be getting another dog for probably 10-15 years. Our household will probably be getting another dog in 2-5 years, and we'll either rescue or go to a breeder; we don't know yet.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Tucker (Wheaten) is a breeder bought dog.

Hannah (Rat Terrier) was a cheap sale from my boss who was downsizing due to a divorce. She previously was bought from a hunting breeder and sold to test out as a foundation for a hearing dog breeding/training program that was interrupted by the divorce.

Arnold (pit bull) was found at a dog park at night. I was walking Hannah and he was all alone. I took him home assuming someone had an emergency and returned daily for two weeks. Eventually I ran into the previous owner (he's easy to spot with his wonky ribs) and she said thank god someone adopted him and she'd left him there because she couldn't bare to take him to the pound where they kill pit bulls. He'd been through 5 homes in 5 months and other than SA he was a gem, her loss.

Shamoo (pit bull) was brought to my attention on CL by a friend. Her owner had gone into the hospital and left her (then Taboo) with a pet sitter. However, the owner either died or went into hospice with no family to take the dog so the pet sitter ate the cost and tried to rehome her. She was 35 lbs over weight and 10 years old. I took her in with the intention of either getting her healthy and placing her or waiting out the last part of her life which we assumed would be soon. I placed her with my parents but as she lost weight she gained energy and when my dad fell ill my mom couldn't handle her. I took her back and said screw it she's mine. Best decision I have ever made.

Sloan (Malinois) is a breeder bought puppy.

Backup (Malinois) is a breeder hold back but although his temperament and drive was there he was too small and not balanced in the way the breeder desired, she wanted more of the bitch in the dog but saw almost entirely a carbon copy of the stud. I bought him at 8 months.

I will go to a breeder or get my next puppy out of one of my two should I decide to breed either of them down the road.

chaospony

Robyn and Trin are from Willow Afghan rescue and Wassim is from the Arabian saluki centre of Canada.

Future dogs will be from either of these places or from the Af club of America's rescue if there are no homeless Canadian Afghans when I am looking.
No worries there in the saluki department! There is a pretty unlimited supply!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Mackenzy is from a rescue, technically adopted by my parents.

Keeva is from a breeder, she was a hold back for a sport home because her breeder (wisely) predicted she'd be returned if put in a pet home. LOL

Blossom is uh... a DIY rescue/shelter pull? Aleron saw her picture at the local pound, confirmed that she was Roust's sister, and arranged to get her out and to me. Her official adoption will be processed through ABMC rescue.

I plan on buying dogs from breeders, but accept that rescues will just sort of happen to me. ;) I don't see myself ever planning out adding a rescue dog, but I enjoy helping dogs in need and fostering and... well... stuff happens. LOL Like Malinois landing in your lap from Ohio. :D

Maxy24

I also have a bad feeling I'm going to inherit dogs from family members/friends down the road who don't like or can't handle their dogs. Just a hunch, which is a bummer since I don't like the types of dogs my family members like but I'm not going to say no either.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I also have a bad feeling I'm going to inherit dogs from family members/friends down the road who don't like or can't handle their dogs. Just a hunch, which is a bummer since I don't like the types of dogs my family members like but I'm not going to say no either.
This, too. I almost landed with a senior lab mix, who I absolutely adore, but she ended up with my aunt, which is good because I shouldn't have another dog but would NOT have let her go to shelter or rescue.

Previous Dogs--
Tori (GSD x Chow) -- Shelter
Vegas (GSD x) -- Shelter
Checkers (BC x Aussie) -- Shelter
Nour (GSD x Malamute) -- Technically a byb, but it was a lady that had an accidental litter :p

Current Dog--
Crystal (GSD x Sheltie) -- Rescue (a lady found her dumped on the side of the road... we bought her from her.)

Hopefully my future dog will be from a breeder, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't have any real major preference whether or not to get a breeder or rescue dog.

Last edited:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I am always constantly prepared to make Georgie Dog #4... and there was a time when I was horrified that my BIL would try to make Henri become Dog #4... yeeeeeah, LOL.

Members online

No members online now.