anyone own american mastiff's?

ohmai

My cousin owns a 200lb american mastiff, so I assume he's over a year old. I've been wanting my pup to have more play pals, he has one so far, our 100lb+ GSD he visits regularly. To those who own am. mastiff's, how are they with other dogs? My cousin's is extremely nice. The first time I met him he didn't even mind me while I pet him. The only thing I'm worried about is his size! 200lbs , and my pup is around 40lbs.

Being an outcross of the English Mastiff, the American Mastiff shouldn't be expected to be extremely prey driven or dog aggressive in the way a Bull Mastiff should be. These giants usually have a good sense of their own size and tend to be more gentle with smaller playmates. They are also supposed to be rather lazy (like the English) so you shouldn't have to worry about a lot of roughhousing. I would just be sure to do the introductions on leash and keep things supervised.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
well Teddy is nowhere near that size he is only a lab coonhound mix but when he gets around smaller dogs his style of play is totally different. he is very gentle with smaller dogs and small children. i think they know that they are much bigger and could do some damage.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Just keep an eye on him. Mastiff's aren't known for being the world's most dog-friendly breed.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Sparks,

Rocky's like that too. I think he's aware of his own size.

My brother, who has a mini-doxie, brought him over to play with Rocky when he was in town and Rocky was pretty afraid of him and kept sniffing and sniffing and really buggin' him but he watched his step and was careful to try and not hurt him.

But the doxie scared Rocky several times.

The English Mastiff - the parent breed of the American Mastiff - is very different from the Bull Mastiff. The Bull Mastiff is the most prey driven and the least tolerant of other dogs. There's actually a great variance in temperaments among all the different Mastiffs. For instance, the Filas, although they have a great distrust and even dislike of strangers, are very accepting of other dogs - kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum from the Bull Mastiffs on that subject. The English Mastiffs just basically don't really care as long as everyone is friendly, lol!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I wish more people would take the time and trouble to elaborate between the different breeds like you do Renee.

ohmai

I thought the American Mastiff was really protective and guarded their family really well, but I was wrong! My cousin's mastiff is very friendly. I hope when I get the chance to come over, I'll bring my puppy along and see these two play with eachother. I bet it'll be quite comical, lol.

Members online

No members online now.