doggy pee??

my first question is are there any good cleaners that get rid off pee smells

and also

Mr Darcy sometimes has accidents in the kitchen, he's only 6 months old so its understandable but his pee is very strong. infact its so strong it has disintigrated the grout between the tiles! is this normal? its been a while since i had an entire dog and i dont remember it being so strong

Melissa_W

I think Nature's Miracle works really well. You can get it at Petsmart, and probably most any other pet supply store.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
if your dog still has accidents in the house at 6 months of age, you are leaving him without a chance to go outside for too long. adjust your routine and teach him to ring a bell at the door when he needs to go outside.

i'd also have his urine checked by a vet to rule out medical issues, it shouldn't be that strong. is he drinking enough?

Mordy said:
if your dog still has accidents in the house at 6 months of age, you are leaving him without a chance to go outside for too long. adjust your routine and teach him to ring a bell at the door when he needs to go outside.

i'd also have his urine checked by a vet to rule out medical issues, it shouldn't be that strong. is he drinking enough?
he is outside all day with the kitchen door open, he doesnt need to ask to be let out as he can walk in or out at any time. its just his ways, we have made a lot of progress as he used to come inside for the toilet but now its maybe a little pee every few days which im not agreeing with but also not too stressed about.

he drinks a LOT but so do all my dogs, i have an appointment at the vets next week for boosters etc so ill ask them then

Mordy

Quigleyfied
unfortunately, with the setup you have htere, it's understandable that he still isn't reliable in the house. you need to stress the point that pottying outside is the only acceptable thing to do, and this will not change as long as you don't work with him on it consistently.

i know, your current setup is very convenient for you, but it's not conductive to training your dog. this is a time where you want to supervise and reward desirable behavior, and try to eliminate situations that result in failure (i.e. him peeing in the house).

the longer you let this slide, the more difficult it will be. just think about winter rolling around, when you can't keep the door open all day and pottying outside in the rain or snow won't be pleasant at all.

moe

Our male went through a stage of marking in the house(in the kitchen) when our bitch came into season, we got a product called Odorkil from the Animal Health company(they ship I think) this worked brilliantly, has a pleasant chewing gum smell and has totally stopped our male from marking, plus the smell of urine is not present now.

I also agree that your dog needs to be trained to go outside, we have our doors open all day, but the dogs know that its outside that they should go to toilet, for the very reasons given above, during winter I dont have the doors open all the time.
Mo

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Out! Pet Stain and Odor Remover is the best I've used. It works great, is easy to use, and is pretty cheap. You can find it at almost any grocery store.

Mordy said:
unfortunately, with the setup you have htere, it's understandable that he still isn't reliable in the house. you need to stress the point that pottying outside is the only acceptable thing to do, and this will not change as long as you don't work with him on it consistently.

i know, your current setup is very convenient for you, but it's not conductive to training your dog. this is a time where you want to supervise and reward desirable behavior, and try to eliminate situations that result in failure (i.e. him peeing in the house).

the longer you let this slide, the more difficult it will be. just think about winter rolling around, when you can't keep the door open all day and pottying outside in the rain or snow won't be pleasant at all.
ok first off i never said anything about the way im training him so although its easy to say what you are saying, i DO train him. Apart from Bassets being notoriously difficult to train due them being little mules! i have been working with him every day, and the door being open isnt because its vonvenient for me, its the way i always have it, bothe for the dags and myself. its open in winter too.
i didnt post asking how to train my dog i asked about pee

Members online