Herbal or home remedy for infections or sores?

Adogstale

I have a question.. I have a dog who has a sore on the base of his tail.. it clears up.. he irritates it.. it gets sore again.. and the cycle returns.. he does not have fleas.. he's treated with advantage... He got the sore originally from a run in the woods.. snagged his tail on something.. and got a mild scratch.. and then started irritating it. I have trimmed the fur around it to allow air.. and also cleaned it up.. I am just wondering if there is a herbal or home remedy that I have not heard of to treat things like this.. as well as hot spots etc.. This dog does NOT do well on antibiotics.. my vet has stated many times to only give him Anti biotics where absolutely necessary and he'd have to stay at the vets for observation... and to try to clear up sores without topical ointments if possible.. (he's finicky)...any suggestions?

AnimalsAreforMe

Saint Bernard Mix Slave
Im not sure of a herbal remedy. But awhile ago Pixie scratched one of her fatty tumors open. My mom being difficult decided instead of the vet she would go out and buy some home infection cleaner and spray on new skin. Well she is completely healed now and the tumor seems to no longer be there (it was oozing before yellow stuff). The New skin is what saved her I beleive it stopped the bleeding and oozing and he never scratched it open. We would clean it out twice a day and then spray some new skin on it. It helped her.

I like to use Tea Tree oil. It can be dabbed on full strength or diluted with an unscented oil like Neutrogena. Great anti-bacterial AND anti-fungal, which is a huge plus in cases where you aren't sure what's causing the problem. Sometimes both bacteria and fungus can be causing a problem so you've killed two with one remedy.

Adogstale

Thanks, I do use tea tree oil on them... *sigh*... poor guy.. I will keep an eye on it.. and see what happens over the next couple of days and maybe a trip to the vet if needed.. I'd just hate for them to have to give him antibiotics again.. makes him so sick..

Zoom

Twin 2.0
My mother used lamb's ear when my grandmother had an abcess that wouldn't heal on her leg after surgury...did more than those anti-biotics ever did. I think you pick the leaves whole, and then slightly mash or bruise them to stimulate the juices and lay them on the wound. In your dog's case you may need to apply a wrap so they don't fall off or he doesn't pull them off.

Members online