If you find a dog....

>Maci<

what do you do? This would be, if it didn't have a microchip or tags on the collar so an owner was completely unknown.

After I give an allotted time to search for an owner in any way I can, I would end up keeping the dog. I just get attached in the first couple days, and can't let them go when an owner doesn't come to claim. :p Good thing I haven't found too many! The only stray we've found was Cooper my Golden Retriever. He's a snobby brat who does everything on his own schedule, but I just can't help but love him! :p

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Contact any and all vets and shelters/rescues in the surrounding area - see if they have any lost dogs matching their descriptions, and if not give them my contact info incase anyone calls later. Put up found flyers around the area as well as on Kijiji.

Legally the owners have a certain amount of time to claim their dog, I think it's a month or two, at least that's what I was told. I'm kind of picky in the way that I know what I want, so unless I had an instant connection with the dog, if it wasn't my "type" I don't think I'd have a problem rehoming after a couple months. My GSD was picked up as a stray and ended up being my heart dog though, so it can happen!

Last edited:

mrose_s

BusterLove
Drop off at the closest vet to where we find them.

We found Buster, but we lived in a town of 10000 at the time, it had one weekly paper, one pound and 2 vets. We put up flyers everywhere, notified all vets, pound, put and ad in the paper. If noone claimed him there, they arn't looking for him.

Here its very different, 300,000 people spread out over 100km of coatline and 50km inland, 1 big daily paper plus probably over 10 smaller area-specific ones, 1 pound, 3 shelter, 1 rescue, countless vets.
Here we drop them at the closest vet, we don't need another dog and its a huge area to search if someone is keeping the dog in their home, the vet will check for a chip and if noone claims it it will go to the pound. If someone is looking for their dog the pound is a pretty centralised area and its probably got the best chance to be found there.

I would be livid if my dog escaped, got picked up by someone and I couldn't find them because they hadn't notified enough people, especially if I was on holidays somewhere unfamiliar, pounds and vets are the most likely places for a dog to be found.
If you are attached to the dog and want to make sure its okay tell the pound that if it doesn't get claimed you'll take it back.

Specsy

Owned by Rottweilers
If it is an adult large breed dog, I would drop off at a non-kill shelter and advertise etc that dog was found.

Small breed or puppy, I would keep it home and advertise etc

If nobody claims the dog, to the shelter's adoption it goes...

Maxy24

I don't know, it's never happened. Dogs don't get dumped around here so usually someone is looking or you'll find neighbors who knows who the dog belongs to. The only time I found a dog without tags I decided to walk her around the neighborhood and quickly found a lady walking around shaking a dog food bowl.

If it were just me I'd probably keep and advertise. But here it would just depend on my parents, we'd probably find a vet or shelter (no-kill) that would take him.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I contacted every vet in our area, and all of the humane society's nearby. I also a sign at our local dog Park, and signs all around our house in a circle.

Eventually the owners decided that they could call the humane society, 5 days later. Ugh. Still a sore Point

Shakou

Last time we found a lost dog, we kept it for a few days and ran a craigslist ad and got in touch with various vets in the area. After a while, it's hard to say what we would have done. The dog was extremely well behaved, and was really good with both Charlotte and our cat, but it was a large breed dog and we simply couldn't afford another dog of that size. Luckily we found the owner within a few days though.

The last time I found a lost dog... LOL. I ended up with Lacey! :)

I called around, classifieds, asked the neighbors, craigslist, and spent alot of time in the front yard with her so that if someone drove by looking for her they would see her. Neighbors had never seen her and told me that dogs get dumped here regularly. When she first showed up I thought she was a neighbors dog so I left her loose for 2 days hoping she would go home.

Katkoota

cRaZy AbOuT DOGS
Let's see, I can't keep him/her with me for long. I live at home, and parents have the no more than 2 dogs rule. They would allow me to foster him/her for 1 to 2 months, and of course, I gotta work on finding either another foster or forever home. My last source is the shelter. But I normally do my best and find the home.

Members online

No members online now.