How do you pronounce...

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
From what I've read/heard, Kahn-ay is the most proper but con-yay is acceptable depending on who's saying it in what accent. I'm not an expert but I do believe it is a bit variable.

"Cane", as in "sugar-cane" is also
"acceptable depending on who's saying it in what accent' ...
that still doesn't make it correct. ;)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
There's a billion breeds I can't pronounce.

For some reason I always stumble over Tervuren.

No idea about Berger Picard. Well, I have an idea, I just think I sound completely ridiculous saying it.

Don't really know about Keeshond, even though I've made attempts at using it more frequently in recent months, since quite a few people think this is what Happy is mixed with.

Samoyed. I usually just refer to them as fluffy white dogs.

Dachshund and Malinois used to be weird for me.

That's all I can think of right now, of course if I dipped into rare breeds we'd be here all day. :p

milos_mommy

I thought keeshond was pronounced KAYS-ond and not KEYS-ond?

I have never heard anyone say "Con-yay" for Cane Corso. I actually assumed that was a typo and should have been Con-ay.

No idea about Berger Picard. Well, I have an idea, I just think I sound completely ridiculous saying it.
"Bear-zhay Pee-karr" With the Zh being similar to how you would say "Doctor Zhivago", that's what I read in their first news letter anyway.

Oh, and one that gets me, I hear different breed-people saying Pyrenean Shpeherd so many different ways, but the common two are "P-ear-in-ee-an" or "Pie-reen-ee-in-an", which is more correct?

crazedACD

"Bear-zhay Pee-karr" With the Zh being similar to how you would say "Doctor Zhivago", that's what I read in their first news letter anyway.
I was at an event with someone that has a hodge podge of dogs and I guess is quite active in agility. She had a Berger Picard in tow (really nice nice dog), and she pronounced it Burger Pickard. :lol-sign: I guess some people care less than others.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

Oh, and one that gets me, I hear different breed-people saying Pyrenean Shpeherd so many different ways, but the common two are "P-ear-in-ee-an" or "Pie-reen-ee-in-an", which is more correct?
Scruff mutts. :lol-sign:

I just say Pyrshep.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
That's how I "try" to say it but I totally think I need a French accent in order to actually sound like I know what I'm doing :rofl1:

I think everyone sounds ridiculous when they say it. I think there should be a move to just call them the Picardy (rhymes with Bacardi) Shepherd.
Agree! That's usually what I end up saying if I'm ever talking to someone about them. Because most people don't even know what I'm talking about anyway.

I was at an event with someone that has a hodge podge of dogs and I guess is quite active in agility. She had a Berger Picard in tow (really nice nice dog), and she pronounced it Burger Pickard. :lol-sign: I guess some people care less than others.
With a golden and a crestie or two?

Yeah, it's not KEYZ hond. It's CAYZ-HOND and the plural is CAYZ-HONDEN.

I used to be really into that breed and we had two while I was growing up.

Samoyed is Samy-ed (weird I know).

and the plural is CAYZ-HONDEN.
Oh geez... plurals are a WHOLE nother thing lol. I know that the plural for Corgi is something long and strange (at least to me) but I can't think of it off the top of my head. I didn't think that any other breeds had a "different" name when plural. Interesting :) Any others?

Equinox

Oh geez... plurals are a WHOLE nother thing lol. I know that the plural for Corgi is something long and strange (at least to me) but I can't think of it off the top of my head. I didn't think that any other breeds had a "different" name when plural. Interesting :) Any others?
Corgwyn :) A friend let me know a while back, but I still say "corgis" because I just know I'd get some weird looks otherwise.

I think it was Aleron who told me about Mudi and Pumi being Mudik and Pumik?

I think Vizsla plural is Vizslak. Or actually, maybe it isn't and is just Hungarian. Don't listen to me...

I think the plural names are pretty cool, even if I don't know any of them.

:rofl1:
"So you want Pickles on your Burger?"

Scruff mutts. :lol-sign:

I just say Pyrshep.
I know, I do too :eek:

That's how I "try" to say it but I totally think I need a French accent in order to actually sound like I know what I'm doing :rofl1:

Agree! That's usually what I end up saying if I'm ever talking to someone about them. Because most people don't even know what I'm talking about anyway.
lol, I try but many I don't (like PyrShep).
The one that always gets me is when those "probably has never seen the breed in their life" TV reporters try way to hard to say the breed names right in the country of origin accent, just don't people! Honestly some times I wish they would just say it wrong than with those cheesy accents :rolleyes:, "Vie-mrr-haw-ffffer" uh, no.

It's "Corgwn", and one author wrote an easy way for the average public to somewhat say it right, is to treat it like you would the plural of Ox "Oxen", although it isn't totally correct, it's close enough.

Members online

No members online now.