Pressure Cooker / Chicken Bones

RD

Are you dead yet?
Giving them to ratties would be a terrific option too!

I wonder, does pressure cooking only work with chicken/poultry bones or if you do it long enough, can it work with heavier bones like beef/pork ribs?

I ask because I have access to a LOT of cut up bones that are extremely cheap, but they are primarily for soup and aren't of great nutritional value to my dogs when they are raw, as they can't really eat the whole thing. However, the bones are seriously like $1 for a few pounds of them, and if there's some way I could turn them into a more complete, nutritious meal for the dogs I would. I'm broke and raw feeding is expensive sometimes.

dogs and chicken bones

I would NEVER cook bones in anyway! Raw bones are the only safe bones for a dog.
Actually Jen, larger chicken bones, such as thigh and leg bones, after being cooked in a pressure cooker for over an hour practically dissolve in four finger tips, much the way salmon and mackerel bones do in canned fish. Provided you ensure they've been pressure cooked to that level they are totally safe. You mentioned only giving dogs raw bones, while being more nutrient loaded, that also poses the risk of chipping teeth and enamel.

Huh, three year old thread, light some birthday cake candles, LOL. But it's something I've been curious about.

I caught a sale on whole chickens, cleaned them up, stripped off most of the meat, then stuck the carcass into the crock pot for 24 hours to make chicken broth for the dogs. I had read to toss in a dash of apple cider vinegar as well.

In the end I had some great broth with some meat, and the smaller chicken bones were mush because of the vinegar. The larger ones (legs) could probably have been ground.

I'll have to dig out my pressure cooker the next time I catch a chicken sale! Be much easier on my hydro bill, LOL.

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Actually Jen, larger chicken bones, such as thigh and leg bones, after being cooked in a pressure cooker for over an hour practically dissolve in four finger tips, much the way salmon and mackerel bones do in canned fish. Provided you ensure they've been pressure cooked to that level they are totally safe. You mentioned only giving dogs raw bones, while being more nutrient loaded, that also poses the risk of chipping teeth and enamel.
ANY cooking of bones IS dangerous to feed. I have yet to find bone that "dissolve" between fingers. Any knowledgable raw feeders wouldn't feed cooked bone in any form.

The bones that will chip and break teeth are the weight bearing bones of large animals like cows, buffalo, deer, elk etc.... It's because of the job they have to do. All the weight they have to support makes them very dense.

Bones like chicken, turkey, pork ribs, deer ribs etc.. are crunchy, and completely digestable, unlike cooked which is not. It also comes down to knowing your dog. Would you give a chi pork ribs or turkey leg? No. How about a medium/large breed? Sure. Feed your dog according to size and what they are able to handle. It's really common sense, and knowing how to feed raw.

BTW, name is Jenny.

Just happened to come across this thread. I have always thrown the chicken carcasses away, never thought of putting them in the pressure cooker but I will certainly do that the next time I have one. Always seemed like such a waste as you can never get all the meat off them and I am not much for making my own chicken soup. I would be much more worried about feeding raw chicken bones if you were worried about them splintering no matter how many people tell me you can.

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Just happened to come across this thread. I have always thrown the chicken carcasses away, never thought of putting them in the pressure cooker but I will certainly do that the next time I have one. Always seemed like such a waste as you can never get all the meat off them and I am not much for making my own chicken soup. I would be much more worried about feeding raw chicken bones if you were worried about them splintering no matter how many people tell me you can.
PLEASE don't ever feed cooked bones. Do you think they cook them in the wild? (dogs/wolves share 99.9 percent of the same DNA.) Cooked bones are not even digestable, and the nutrition is gone as well. I'm on my phone and can't post links, but go to preymodelraw.com and just look into raw feeding before doing it the wrong way. Raw bones don't splinter.

PLEASE don't ever feed cooked bones. Do you think they cook them in the wild? (dogs/wolves share 99.9 percent of the same DNA.) Cooked bones are not even digestable, and the nutrition is gone as well. I'm on my phone and can't post links, but go to preymodelraw.com and just look into raw feeding before doing it the wrong way. Raw bones don't splinter.
You seriously should consider stopping the "Sky is falling!!!" attitude with all your posts. I believe you have good information to share but it gets lost in your absolutes.

She wasn't saying she was going to feed her dog a diet of all pressure cooked bones. Just that when/if they make chicken (cooked because it's for humans) then instead of throwing away the bones they could pressure cook it making the cooked bones (Brittle and splintery) into a soft, malleable (Not brittle and splintery) treat for the dogs.

It doesn't matter if it isn't AS good for the dogs as a whole raw chicken carcass, it's not a main diet. It's just using all the parts of the buffalo.

I know a girl who home cooks for her dogs and does this with chicken quarters and quite a few ferret people do for a "soup" for older/sickly fuzz. Just have to cook it long enough for the bones to turn to mush is my understanding but have never done it myself, I could see it as a nice treat and way to use up human leftovers but I barely cook for myself, cooking for the dogs is not happening anytime soon.

Just curious why Naturalfeddogs says that cooked bones are not digestable. Why would they not be? I noticed today there were turkey necks on sale but as I would not want to feed them raw, thought I would pick some up and cook them in the pressure cooker. I am sure my dogs would choke on them if I fed them raw.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Just curious why Naturalfeddogs says that cooked bones are not digestable. Why would they not be? I noticed today there were turkey necks on sale but as I would not want to feed them raw, thought I would pick some up and cook them in the pressure cooker. I am sure my dogs would choke on them if I fed them raw.
I feed my dogs raw turkey necks all the time.

I also think pressure cooking the remains of your chicken dinner to feed to the dogs instead of throwing in the trash is a fantastic idea.

ANY cooking of bones IS dangerous to feed. I have yet to find bone that "dissolve" between fingers. Any knowledgable raw feeders wouldn't feed cooked bone in any form.
Have you ever pressure cooked bones? I'm starting to wonder if you know what a pressure cooker IS, because it absolutely makes the bone soft and mushy.

It's a great way to use up stuff that would otherwise get thrown out. Like Linds said, no one is proposing feeding an all-pressure cooked chicken bone diet, just using up what's on hand as part of an overall diet.

Also, which nutrients in the bone exactly are "gone" after cooking? Dekka did a pretty darn good job of refuting that once already, I'm curious what your counter explanation is.

Bones for Dogs

For many years, I've cooked turkey and chicken bones in a crockpot or big electric roasting pan containing broth or water for hours and hours, until they become crumbly. Then I feed them and the resulting broth to my dogs. So, when people say cooked bones splinter, they may be talking about bones that have been cooked using dry heat, i.e., roasted.
Cooking bones in liquid over a LONG period of time (the length of time it takes to stew the chicken meat is not enough to sufficiently break down the chicken or turkey bones) results in a broth that will gel when it's cooled. Such broth will contain collagen, and, no doubt, minerals contained in bones, like phosphorus and calcium.
A pressure cooker would speed up the process, but is not necessary to reduce the bones to crumbly, edible consistency.
I've used the resulting broth as the liquid for mixing puppy formula for orphaned puppies, and it works very well; they like it better than formula mixed with plain water, and really thrive on it.

Healthy Dog Treats

I agree that you should not be cooking bones for your dogs. There are some great tasting and healthy treats that you can make from home that do not involve unsafe ingredients.

If you are looking for new healthy treats, take a look at our website:

www.GlobalPetTreats.com

We have carry 15 different brands, and offer free shipping on every single order.

TREATS10 will take 10% off your purchase.

-Grant :)

Members online