At what age do puppies get their shots done?

milos_mommy

It will depend on the area you live in, the health of your puppy, where you plan on traveling to, if you titer, etc.

Mostly all dogs in the US will recieve rabies, parvo, distemper, and hepatitis vaccines between 8 and 16 weeks of age, sometimes earlier if they are weaned too young.

If I remember correctly my dogs got their other vaccines (leptospirosis, bordatella, etc....which they may or may not get depending on if it's prevalent in your area) during the same time (all by 16 weeks). Then they get adult vaccines every 1 or 3 years, depending on the shot.

ETA it's usually 3 doses at 8, 12, and 16 weeks old, unless you're following an atypical vaccine schedule.

It will depend on the area you live in, the health of your puppy, where you plan on traveling to, if you titer, etc.

Mostly all dogs in the US will recieve rabies, parvo, distemper, and hepatitis vaccines between 8 and 16 weeks of age, sometimes earlier if they are weaned too young.

If I remember correctly my dogs got their other vaccines (leptospirosis, bordatella, etc....which they may or may not get depending on if it's prevalent in your area) during the same time (all by 16 weeks). Then they get adult vaccines every 1 or 3 years, depending on the shot.

ETA it's usually 3 doses at 8, 12, and 16 weeks old, unless you're following an atypical vaccine schedule.
So, unless you have a special schedule, it is like:

8 weeks: 3 shots

12 weeks: 3 shots

16 weeks: 3 shots

Every 3 years: 1 shot

milos_mommy

No, I'm not sure where you're getting that?

The amount of shots will depend on where you live, if you chose to titer the dog, etc. Also, some vaccines are combined, so when you say "shot", I'm not sure if you're referring to the vaccine, or the actual injection.

Most puppies will recieve AT LEAST 4 different vaccines at 8 weeks, again at 12 weeks, and again at 16 weeks. (Rabies, parvo, distemper, and hepatitis). If there are other canine diseases found in your area, they will recieve more than those four at each visit.

Then each vaccine has a different duration of inoculation, so for example, every three years your dog will get a rabies booster (unless you titer and he is still positive for immunity). I don't know which other vaccines have a year long DOI and which are 3. So at his annual appointment, he will get the shots for whatever vaccines immunization is running out (I believe distemper is yearly), and whichever ones have a longer DOI he will get every three years.

Generally speaking, many people break vaccines down into:

1. Vaccines all/most dogs should get at some point in their lives (sometimes called "core" vaccines) - Rabies, Distemper/Parvovirus combo

2. Vaccines given based on risk assessment (sometimes called "non-core" vaccines) - lyme, leptospirosis, bordatella, influenza, etc.

Generally speaking, unless you're using an alternative schedule, for puppies the D/P combo will start somewhere around 8 weeks and be given every 3-4 weeks until the last one at or after 16 weeks. The number of boosters isn't important, but when they start and stop. How often it is boosted in adults varies, generally I boost it after one year, then every 3-5 years thereafter.

Rabies is typically given once as a puppy. Depending on the exact brand of vaccine it can be given any time after 12-16 weeks. Typically it is boosted a year later, then every 3 years (depending on local laws, some places require yearly boosters and some don't require any).

Generally speaking, non-core vaccines can be started around 8-12 weeks. The first time they are given, most need two boosters, 2-3 weeks apart. Then generally are boosted yearly.

The exact, EXACT timing of precisely what age each is given isn't usually critical. Like, at 8 and 12 weeks vs 9 and 13 weeks or whatever isn't going to be harmful. Or it doesn't matter if you start Lyme at 9 weeks or 15 weeks or 20 weeks.

No, I'm not sure where you're getting that?

The amount of shots will depend on where you live, if you chose to titer the dog, etc. Also, some vaccines are combined, so when you say "shot", I'm not sure if you're referring to the vaccine, or the actual injection.

Most puppies will recieve AT LEAST 4 different vaccines at 8 weeks, again at 12 weeks, and again at 16 weeks. (Rabies, parvo, distemper, and hepatitis). If there are other canine diseases found in your area, they will recieve more than those four at each visit.

Then each vaccine has a different duration of inoculation, so for example, every three years your dog will get a rabies booster (unless you titer and he is still positive for immunity). I don't know which other vaccines have a year long DOI and which are 3. So at his annual appointment, he will get the shots for
whatever vaccines immunization is running out (I believe distemper is yearly), and whichever ones have a longer DOI he will get every three years.
Ohh! Thank you! Now I understand. So most puppies get rabies, parvo, distemper, and hepatitis every for weeks until said puppy is 16 weeks? Although, if there are other diseases in my area they would get that shot every visit? And every three years said dog will get a rabies booster. He will also get shots on whatever vaccines immunization is running out? Also whichever ones have a longer DOI he will get every three years.

Members online

No members online now.