Dog and baby people, help me choose a vehicle.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
So Tyler and I will have to replace my car soon. Its on its last leg in life and I will drive it till it drops, so that means we are actively looking at vehicles to replace it.

We can go one of three ways.
1) buy bran spankin new with no interest
2) buy a newer- used like 5 years old
OR
3) buy used as in 10 years old, but have to replace is 5 years give or take and maintain in regularly.

Now, I am looking mainly a smaller or medium sized 4X4 SUV's, or a larger hatch back AWD car.

I need something that can comfortably fit Panzer and Teagan, as well at least one car seat. As we plan on starting a family in 7 months. This vehicle will be my main driver.

We also own a large truck so if we need something bigger we have it.

Thanks friends :)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Do your pups ride loose, belted, or crated? That will change your needs drastically.

We have a '97 Honda CRV - and I would get another in the drop of a hat (although newer model).

We have 2 carseats (an infant seat and a booster seat) and can still comfortably fit Toby in the back seat with the kids - if he's sitting.

He can also easily sit in the "trunk" and has plenty of space back there too. I could probably fit him (40 pounds), and his buddy Dozer (90 pounds) in the "trunk" and the 2 kids in the back seat comfortably.

We plan to get a van too though, just because we plan to have a 3rd child one day and there's no way a 3rd car seat could fit in our CRV.

Fran27

Honestly I love my minivan (Toyota Sienna). We went with a 3 year old car at the time and couldn't be happier... Before that we bought an older van from my brother in law (a Mazda) and it was a mistake... things started going wrong and it would have cost more than the vehicle's value to repair, and we ended up trading it in... I guess we had it for 3 years and it cost us $5000, and we got maybe $2000 back from the trade in. Not really worth it IMO. I didn't want to buy it in the first place but my husband insisted.

The 1999 Honda Civic I bought for $9000 in 2004 is still going though (it's a manual transmission and I have the hardest time changing gears with it now though, which sucks), but yeah, I wouldn't buy something older than 5 years.

Something to keep in mind as you want kids is if there is LATCH and if there are top tethers for the car seats. That's what convinced my husband to switch eventually, the old minivan didn't have either and it just wasn't as safe (can do without LATCH but top tethers is pretty important IMO). Most newer models have them though.

But anyway, if you're going to have more kids, if you have a third row (which is really nice, especially with dogs), make sure it's easy to get to as well. With the old van, the seat belt was on the door frame, not on the seat, so it was impossible to get in the back with a car installed in the middle row because the seat belt was in the way... really hated that car.

But anyway, for us minivans won because automatic doors are very handy (we only have the right side, and it's plenty), and they are more fuel efficient than SUVs I believe. And they're nice when you have to move furniture and whatnot. And we went with the Sienna because it was $2000 cheaper than the Honda Odyssey and the Odyssey didn't seem to be that different.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I do adore my RAV4. It's a 2011 and I got it because of Toyota's durability, the good mpgs even with 4wd, and the ability to fit everything, including my dogs (crated) and a kid seat. :) The 2012 model has a more sloped rear hatch, but that shouldn't be a problem with dogs loose vs crated.

If you want more space in the cargo area, a Highlander or a 4Runner would give you that, still with the Toyota durability and mpgs that are higher than many in their class.

They do also have an AWD van, the Sienna, if you want max cargo space!

Other models to look into: Honda CRV, Subaru Outback or Forrester, Ford Escape, and Hyundai Santa Fe. I think Chevy has a small SUV as well, but I'm blanking on the name since I usually go with foreign cars.

FG167

I have a 2009 Toyota Highlander that I habitually haul at least 2-3 dogs in and can also fit a car seat (we are pregnant now). I LOVE LOVE LOVE my car. I also liked my Subaru but I enjoy sitting higher in an SUV.

kady05

I have an '03 Toyota 4Runner that I LOVE. 140k mi on it and in the 4ish years I've had it, it's never needed anything major done to it. Just oil and spark plugs. 4Runner's are amazing vehicles that really hold their value. Mine is only worth $4,500 less than I bought it for now. They're also pretty cheap to fix if necessary, which is something that should be considered (vs. say, a BMW). Just look at the V6 ones if you do consider them though, the V8 engines aren't as solid.

I also love Subaru Forester's. They're AWD and super nice. When Eric had his, even after lowering, putting wheels, etc. on it I still always said it was a great "dog car". They are also one that holds their value and generally speaking are very low maintenance.

I'm considering selling my 4Runner (since I could put so much in the bank because of what it's still worth) and getting a Forester, actually. I'm just so attached to it and it's been such a great car so I'm going back and fourth right now.

as cool as they are, nothing beats a minivan for us. we go everywhere with comfort, dogs in crates, baby stuff and can pack gear for camping or travel for days. Easy to get in and out of, dogs, baby, and adults alike. Maybe if we had little dogs it would be different. and even though I also have a small luggage trailer for long trips, I can put all the seats down and go get full sheets of plywood and haul it back home when I need to.

joce

I will have drive two vehicles one place before we get a mini van lol! My friend laughs because she said that and she has one :eek

Love my explorer. Have tried a new one and the husband wants one but I am going with a f 150 or 250 for a new vehicle with the bigger cab in the back and will just be hopeful dogs will behave.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Thanks guys,

Unfortunately vans are out of the picture. Ha ha, even though they are so cool and all. They are too cool for me.

Defiantly looking at a Mid sized SUV.

We have a extended cab, long box truck so extra space is covered if we need it.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
For your needs, it sounds like you're looking for a Toyota Highlander. My brother's wife drives one (and he's on his second Rav 4) and it's a nice cross between the mini-van and the mid suv.

I would highly recommend a Subaru. I have an Impreza and will be getting a Forester sometime soon, because the Impreza is too small for us. Reliable, great on gas, awesome in the snow.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I would highly recommend a Subaru. I have an Impreza and will be getting a Forester sometime soon, because the Impreza is too small for us. Reliable, great on gas, awesome in the snow.
I'll second this. My mom has a Tribecca that now has 270,000 miles on it and is still going strong. She wants to replace it with an Impreza.

I'm personally driving a hatchback Mazda3 right now. We'll be able to fit us, a car seat, and the dogs (if we lay a seat down) comfortably. If we want to have luggage, too, we'll need a luggage rack if we want a kid and dogs all in the same vehicle, but there will be plenty of room for kid + luggage and us (with a seat down) for long trips without the dogs.

Members online

No members online now.