Frisbee at Purina Farms!

DJEtzel

We went to Purina Farms for an UpDog Challenge competition over the weekend and I wanted to share some videos and pictures. This was Patton's 5th disc competition and his first time competing indoors, or in an agility game. Recon has been to a couple more and a few seminars. Pilot's longest trip before this was 4 hours to Milwaukee. I took three dogs and carpooled with a friend and her dog, 7 hours to Missouri!

All four dogs loaded up and ready to go!

Untitled by DJetzel, on Flickr

When we got to the farm everyone got to play some disc on their show field because Sara is awesome. ;)

They were pretty exhausted.

This was Patton's first round at this comp playing 4 way play - it's a favorite of ours that we have won in the past (in a triple tiebreaker!) and he has an awesome catch at :26 to check out.

[youtube]gvx8QWJ5Y1I[/youtube]

This was Patton's first round ever of Frizgility, and we haven't done much jump bar sequencing, so I was surprised he took any jumps at all. I was very happy with his tunnels! This was our first run of the day, IIRC.

[youtube]u9fkclRbnPM[/youtube]

He also bit me coming off the field from that round, so my thumb was numb for a few rounds...

This was Recon's best round of Frizgility - nice sends... need to work on the hand off lol

[youtube]K2MBMlhLADA[/youtube]

And Recon's first round of 4 way play - pretty happy with his catches in this one!

[youtube]L94ijHcQsUg[/youtube]

This was a first for Patton and me - a round of a new game called "time warp" - he did surprisingly well for this one, I was happy!

[youtube]vpjEB7s5TWM[/youtube]

Overall, my throws left much to be desired, but my boys compensated for that well and I couldn't be happier. Got to see some friends and get some great advice on disc work, and met a few new friends, too! We're doing another seminar next month for my throwing. ;)

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Your doing execellent with Recon,& Patton. I really enjoyed seeing the videos, & I'm sure they'll both continue to improve.

Patton is growing up nicely. He looks so adultish now.

Looks great!

By "doing another seminar" are you meaning another competition? or like a class for throwing?

As I am looking to get into disc with the next dog, I have been wondering if there was anyway that people can learn to throw the disc better? Like a seminar/class/do people get together? Or is it something where you are typically on your own and just have to practice a lot?

Thanks for sharing these videos, I really enjoyed watching them!

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Awesome!!
I got an email about frizgility a little while ago and thought it sounded awesome but the instructions weren't exactly clear. That video puts it all together for me :p

Patton and Recon are looking great!

amberdyan

The dogs look great!

I went to a herding trail there a long while ago when a friend of mine was meeting a BC breeder she was interested in getting a dog from. I liked the facility. It's only like 3.5 hours from where I live.

DJEtzel

Thank you all! A thank you from Patton, as well. He's really growing up on me!

Looks great!

By "doing another seminar" are you meaning another competition? or like a class for throwing?

As I am looking to get into disc with the next dog, I have been wondering if there was anyway that people can learn to throw the disc better? Like a seminar/class/do people get together? Or is it something where you are typically on your own and just have to practice a lot?

Thanks for sharing these videos, I really enjoyed watching them!
By seminar I mean exactly that- I have been to a 3 day Pvybe Seminar with Ron and Apryl and worked with Recon there. Some things were just our throwing and some things were with the dog. It was wonderful! Then I went to a throwing seminar with Andrew Han which was all human throwing. In three weeks I will be going to a Freestyle working seminar with Andrew Han again and taking Recon to work with him on our freestyle routine - including tricks and throws.

There are definitely classes in some areas, and/or groups/clubs that train together and help each other out, but there is nothing like that in my area. I am hoping to start teaching some disc classes this year, sometime. There are seminars from amazing disc doggers all over the country though, so I will be going to as many as I can to learn from the best!

Awesome!!
I got an email about frizgility a little while ago and thought it sounded awesome but the instructions weren't exactly clear. That video puts it all together for me :p

Patton and Recon are looking great!
Some of the games can sound really confusing when you're just reading about them, for sure! Frizgility was the very first thing we ever tried during our very first disc competition last June, it's always been a favorite for Recon.. His two first loves!

The dogs look great!

I went to a herding trail there a long while ago when a friend of mine was meeting a BC breeder she was interested in getting a dog from. I liked the facility. It's only like 3.5 hours from where I live.
That's awesome! I definitely love the facility and grounds. I went a year and a half ago with Recon for Border Collie Nationals and we had a blast playing disc there then, as well! XD

Locke

That looks like so much fun! The dogs were great!!

If you really want to improve on your throwing, you might want to look in to joining an ultimate frisbee club. Playing with people really forces you to work on accuracy, since people are nowhere near as fast or agile as dogs :p

DJEtzel

I actually started playing disc golf to help my throws and it is helping a ton. I just have to retrain some bad muscle memory. :p

Slick

Kristina
Awesome Pictures and Video! Some great leaps and catches! Patton is one handsome fellow.

I really really wish there was 4 Way Play in my area now. I had never heard of it before, before watching your video. But I think Leo would be great at it! He perfectly knows which direction I am going to throw based on which direction I am facing, so I think he could do really well.

Jealous!

DJEtzel

Awesome Pictures and Video! Some great leaps and catches! Patton is one handsome fellow.

I really really wish there was 4 Way Play in my area now. I had never heard of it before, before watching your video. But I think Leo would be great at it! He perfectly knows which direction I am going to throw based on which direction I am facing, so I think he could do really well.

Jealous!
Thank you! Patton is definitely proving to be a reliable disc dog.

If you ever get the chance to play a game like this, do it! One of my favorites for sure.

I actually recently started working with Patton on directional feeding (because I'm a slacker, I know...) and he is so consistent, I love it. I can throw discs out for him all day and he'll just keep going in a circle and keep distance. I can't wait to play again, probably at the UKC premier this June.

Members online

No members online now.