You all know what this is, right?

I had never heard of this. When I read the first few posts, I thought it was actual Puppy Chow (by Purina) because I'd never seen that, either... :dunno:

It sounds dangerously delicious!

SoCrafty

You are all going to hate me! An ex's family used to make this at Christmas time. Maybe it was the type of peanut butter used, or type of chocolate, but I did not like this at all!

Totally willing to try it again though. Anybody have a link to a good recipe for it?

My current boyfriend, his family and my family have been enjoying the most awesome concoction ever - Buckeyes. The only difference that I can see between this and the Buckeyes is that the Puppy Chow adds Chex!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Never heard of it but it looks SO GOOD. It is primarily an American thing or am I just extremely sheltered?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Never heard of it either. If I weren't allergic to peanuts and chocolate, lolol.

k9krazee

So I tried to make a "healthier" version yesterday and it didn't work.

First mistake - whole wheat chex is AWFUL. I haven't bought cereal in years and I'm pretty sure the chex pieces are a quarter of the size they used to be and it tasted too chewy or something
- I used vanilla pudding mix (fat & sugar free or something) instead of powdered sugar -- one large box was not enough and it didn't do anything

Other than that I used unsweetened baking chocolate, regular peanut butter & Splenda

I threw it all away & now I want the real stuff!!!!! :p

Saeleofu

I made some last night! I never actually made it before, I just moochedoff other people's stash ;) But it's actually REALLY easy to make, especially with Sizzle's recipe. I did use WAYYY too much powdered sugar and probably too much peanut butter, but it's still good (I ended up throwing it all in a colander and shaking it around to get the excess sugar off).

I've been brainstorming a dog-friendly version. Peanut butter and...carob? And rice chex, and maybe rice flour coating? Not grain-free, but at least corn-and-wheat free.

I used rice chex because it sounded better than the other options (though chocolate chex was a close second...). Actually it was generic rice chex, known as Rice Bitz. Sadly, not Rice Blitz, like I first thought :rofl1:

AND MY DAD. HE NEVER HAD PUPPY CHOW. NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT. WAT.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Somehow the club ate about... eight pounds of puppy chow today. Even Aryn (super-paleo poster child) took home an entire tub of it... after texting me repeatedly about how much was left.

I love watching people eat puppy chow. We all know it's SO bad for us, but we cannot stop. :rofl1:

Okay, I've honestly NEVER heard it called "puppy chow" before, we always called it Muddy Buddies (because that's what the recipe on the box calls it). Home-made is the only way here, because commercial confectioners sugar is FULL of corn starch, so I make my own powdered sugar in a blender, and only use rice chex (or similar store name brand).

Members online

No members online now.