Training classes

milos_mommy

Does anyone have tips or advice on training group classes? I just took a job with petco, and our local store is expanding/changing their training program, which in really excited about.

I've never taught a group before. Classes will be 3-6 dogs/handlers/families. I'll be observing a few classes by other trainers first and observed/evaluated on my first sessions so I feel pretty good about it, but I'm looking for any tips or pros/cons, just advice or info for trainers who have done classes instead of just private lessons.

Classes will be puppy classes, clicker basics, basic adult dog obedience, rally O, and possibly a tricks class.

DJEtzel

My biggest tip - know how to teach each item at least three different ways, and know how to explain each three different ways. :p

You should have several things that you would like the class to accomplish by the end, but also know that each person will progress at a different level. I've been to several (Agility) classes that are so cookie cutter it just drives me insane.

Like the poster above said, you should know how to explain everything a multitude of ways!

Members online