Mixed vs Purebred - Which is better?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Impossible to answer as there are WAAAAAAAAAYYYY too many variables for both!!!!!!!!!

Byb pedigree? Working? Show? Hobby bred? Companion bred? Which breed?!!!!! English bulldog vs working collie?!! Etc etc

The same goes for mutts. Intentionally bred cross of pedigrees? Multi generation mutt?? Street dog? Oops?

I mean.... How long is a piece of string.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I don't know that I can answer this question, but I can give personal opinion!

Whether mix or not, in a breed with known issues I like to see health testing to lower chances of bad things happening.

/nothelpful

There are too many breeds that are just... ruined forever for me. Would not touch with a 10' pole. But plenty of mixed breeds have problems, too. And a lot depends on a specific breeders.

If we're talking about an F1 mix/cross of just 2-3 breeds, I don't think either one is necessarily healthier. But I think types, multigenerational outcrosses, or multigenerational mix of mix of mix dogs probably are in better shape generally speaking.

BostonBanker

I think that looking at individual dog vs individual dog, it is probably a toss up. Pull any random purebred dog out of the pool and any random mix breed, and you probably have just as good a chance of either one being better off than the other.

Looking at purebreds vs mixes as an entire population...I have a hard time believing that closed gene pools will average out better than open gene pools.

Members online

No members online now.