I'm going Up the wall!!

Charlee

Hi- I'm new around here.. but I have a problem. I just got a Westie puppy 4 days ago and for the first 3 days, we spoiled her. She stayed with my parents and I all day, and followed us around all the time. At night she slept beside my bed, tethered up on a rubber mat. She didn't go pee throughtout the night by the 2nd night. But on the 3rd day, we learned that she should have a special room, all for her, and she should stay there most of the day and all night, until she gets old enough not to pee on the floor during the day. We've had her in her own room for a night and half a day now. She's very good about going pee, she only goes on the paper in her room, but the problem is, is that she BARKS. Non stop. It's driving us crazy! I'm not sure if we're doing it right having her in her own room, or if we were doing it right before. When she followed us around for the first 3 days, we never had any time to ourselves, we always had to cater her needs. But now it's even worse with her barking!! This paragraph is very long, and probably hard to understand - but PLEASE help.

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
hi there

Hi there, no you was doing the right thing putting her in a room for herself but you need to ignore the barking coz she might be intestion seeking!! When she does be quite give her a well done stroke and pat and say.'Well done, Good girl' If she does'nt be quite just say no but dont shout at her coz she might get very scared!! I hope that helped, And i hope to hear from you soon :D

Charlee

Wow, thanx for that :) At least now I know i'm on the right track - it's my first time having a puppie!

Putting her in a separate room at night is okay, but why would anyone tell you to keep her there most of the day, too? How is she going to learn anything kept away from you - her teacher now that she's left her mother; how is she going to have a chance to bond with you? Go back to keeping her with you during the day; she's just been taken away from her mother and littermates and surely doesn't need to be isolated from her new family. It also gives you the opportunity to play with her, which is more to a puppy than just play, watch her and get an idea of what her 'signs' are when she needs to go outside, and most importantly, let her know how much she's loved.

I'm not scolding you - far from it - I can tell it's breaking your heart! I'm just appalled that anyone would recommend keeping a new puppy in a separate room all night and most of the day.

Truthfully, if you're not having a problem with her messing during the night, I don't see anything wrong with letting her sleep in the room with you, as long as that's where you plan to let her sleep later on. You can't get through our bedroom at night; two Filas and a German Shepherd spread across the floor! (lol)

emc

She's probably barking because she's been used to being around you and now she's all by herself. It is good that you are keeping her confined because she isn't totally housebroken (that's what I'm assuming from your post) but she does need some interaction with others in the household, so when you are able to supervise her closely, do let her out to be with everyone else. Don't give in to her barking though, that will just teach her she will get what she wants if she barks long enough.

Puppy Poster Art
http://www.accessv.com/~email/tshirts/dg.htm

Chihuahuas On The Web
http://www.freewebs.com/chihuahua

Kbob

Hannah & Cole's Mom
Hello...I definitely agree with Renee. That puppy needs to spend lots of time with you and when you have a puppy you have to expect that you will spend LOADS of time teaching and training that puppy. You won't have much time to yourself for a little while but that will change. I would also recommend that you sign your puppy up for a Puppy Kindergarden class in your area. It'll teach you to teach your puppy some manners and it will also help with questions that you will surely have in having a new pup in the house too.

Good luck! :)

Charlee

Ack..

I'm sorry, I must not have made myself clear.I do play with and see the puppy. Regularly. at least 7 or 8 times a day for 30 - 60 minutes each time. I just wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing tethering her up by herself. But I think i'm getting the hang of it.. If you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them!! Thanx for the help :)

Members online