Asthmatic or allergies in dogs?

bogolove

I have seen my dog do this a couple of times. This morning he kind of did this wheezing thing, almost like a sneezing, but it wasn't sneezing, and I can't tell if it is allergies to something, or if he could have asthma? (is that possible?) He crawled into my lap (all 65 pounds) while he was doing it, and I didn't really know what to do, so i just taked to him soothingly and rubbed his ears. ( i know that may not help but i didn't know what else to do). I didn't know how serious it was, he seemed fine afterward, and that is when i thought maybe he has allergies. I have seen him do it a few times before but usually he is lying on his back and he has such a long tongue i thought maybe it just covered his airpipe by accident when he lies on his back :confused: . It didn't last a long time, but like i have said since i have seen him do it before i am starting to wonder what it could be. I don't know. Let me know if you think of anything this could be.

Start making a note of when it happens, how often, and how long it lasts. It may be nothing, but you'll probably want to ask the vet about it if it happens with any regularity. Mine have all done it once in awhile, but it's been just for a short duration and very, very rarely and it's never seemed to upset them like it sounds like it did yours.

As they've gotten older, the wheezing has disappeared.

bogolove

Yeah he did do it some when he was younger, and then it just stopped, and I saw him do it maybe a month ago, and then today. So it is not frequent, but I wrote the one down this morning like you suggested, and I am going to start making a record of it, so if he keeps doing it I can show the vet. And he also threw up yesterday, but I was not worried because he will try to drink a lot of water and then eat his food too fast and he throws it up, so I have started waiting to feed him a little later if he has had too much water. But my husband fed him yesterday, and I assumed he didn't remove the water and that was why he threw up. Could they be related? :(

Hmmmm . . . it could have something to do with the diaphragm spasming. That can happen when vomiting, and that spasming could conceivably set up more spasming, causing the lungs to draw and expel air uncontrollably for a brief period, or vice versa.

That's just an hypothesis, understand, going on personal experience with muscle spasms and watching my dogs and observing little kids. Ever notice how when a little kid has a real heartrending crying spell (or tantrum - lol) that a few minutes after those spasming sobs subside they usually get hiccups? Same principle.

Most vets would probably go into hysterics laughing at that theory, but with any luck, it would trigger a case of hiccups!

Members online

No members online now.