Yelling in IPO?

So I hope this doesn't make me look like a total tool, I just am curious and don't understand. I have exactly 0 experience with bitesports, so sue me.

I see a lot of videos from folks doing IPO/bitesport work with their dogs that really holler their cues. Is there a reason behind this, or is it just individual folks' style?

Wasn't sure if it was just a habit so the judges can hear them cuing the dog, or if some extra-drivey dogs are a little too pumped up to respond to a softly spoken cue, or what.

some of everything. Some do it because that's just what they do. Sometimes it's because you're 50-70 yards away from your dog. Sometimes it's because your dog is doing the thing it loves most and you need to make it very clear to him they need to let go now. Some will use voice inflection to cue the dog what exercise it is. Some will use it only at certain points in a trial if they feel their dog needs a hard command. It's all you have. There's no leash or do over. protection commands tend to be spoken a little more loudly than obedience command

FG167

some of everything. Some do it because that's just what they do. Sometimes it's because you're 50-70 yards away from your dog. Sometimes it's because your dog is doing the thing it loves most and you need to make it very clear to him they need to let go now. Some will use voice inflection to cue the dog what exercise it is. Some will use it only at certain points in a trial if they feel their dog needs a hard command. It's all you have. There's no leash or do over. protection commands tend to be spoken a little more loudly than obedience command
Yes, all of this :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well coming at this from agility I used to think some people were very angry running their dogs and while I'm sure some are I am learning why a lot yell pretty sternly. With Hank he is just not gonna hit his contacts unless I get loud. I'm not mad or angry but he gets SO into it that I need I make sure he heard me and I am clear. So yeah I get loud with 'feet' when we get to contacts. Maybe once he is more solid on things he will lot need such a loud reminder.

it's not only about being heard though. Just like when I played sports, sometimes in the heat of a game, yelling was good. Sometimes a coach had to pull me aside, and quietly tell me what was needed. Just like when my dog seems a bit distracted, or i can tell her mind might be going somewhere else than where it needs to be, i know if I need a drawn out command, a loud command, a short quick command, one that is under my breath. It's all about the relationship with your dog and knowing what happens in a competition. Sometimes people just yell because they're nervous, or excited or pissed off because their dog is doing everything they trained it to do and failing every exercise :)

milos_mommy

I think it's just a combination of the sport and the dog, lol. I occasionally see people do this in agility or flyball (or other sports), and it amps up the dog and is easier to hear....I think with IPO, the dogs involved are generally harder personalities so are more likely to respond well/better to a louder, more aggressive, animated handler.

Even in sports like weight pull, sometimes you see people screaming "FIDO COME LETS GO YES AHHHH DO IT DO IT DO IT" and their dogs are like "YES OK I WILL DO THAT SO WELL"....but if other dog's handler's did that the dog would be like "uh why are you yelling I'm going to go lie in a corner and die." With IPO and bitesports you're just a lot less likely to be handling a softer dog.

Kind of like how when parents at sports games scream....a kid fighting MMA style in a ring or rugby probably isn't going to care. A kid fencing might be mortified lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah it's not all about being heard. I have a hard time explaining without sounding like a drill sergeant. Lol. Suffice it to say wih some driven dogs you need to be louder and more firm. I would have never with Summer but Hank loses his mind a little in the moment. I am definitely not trying to amp him up with being loud. Quite the opposite.

Members online

No members online now.