Comfort Dog

ThomasH

I am a former Marine and Iraq war veteran diagnosed with PTSD. I was recently turned on to dogs that are trained in helping with PTSD symptoms. After doing extensive research I found that the companies providing dogs free of charge have a wait list 200 miles long. The other option I have is to buy one already trained but that isn't an option as they can cost up to $30,000. So I have decided to get a puppy and have it trained, still expensive but a fraction of the $30,000.

What breeds would be best suited for this type of training? Should I go through a breeder or would a pound puppy suffice?

milos_mommy

This is a little old but hopefully you'll still see my response:

It depends what you're looking for. An emotional support animal can be chosen just like any other pet - find one that suits your needs, from a shelter, rescue, breeder, etc. They are essentially just your pet, but since you have a diagnosis and a pet will help you cope, you can do things like bring them on planes, have them in no-pet housing, and bring them to hotels.

A task trained dog is a dog that will perform tasks at home, such as waking you from hypersomnia, tactile stimulation to prevent dissociating/flashbacks, fetching medication, etc. Many regular pets can be trained to do this, but it's best to seek out a dog that has traits like biddability and will be unlikely to form anxiety from your condition. Any trainer can help you choose a dog for this from a shelter and teach them the tasks, and a breeder can help pick a puppy best suited for it. This dog can be a registered ESA, or just a regular pet trained in tasks.

For a service dog which will be able to accompany you in public anywhere you go, you will need to pick a dog that has been carefully evaluated. Many working services dogs come from shelters, but it's hard to choose without a lot of experience, and with shelter puppies you don't know what their adult temperament will be. If you're looking for a puppy and not an adult, a breeder who has had dogs go on to service work before is the best bet. If you're willing to get an adult dog to train, a trainer can help you evaluate a shelter dog (preferably one in foster care) or pick an adult dog from a breeder.

Since you asked about specific breeds, common service dogs are labs/goldens/standard poodles/mixes of those breeds, but any breed can work as a service dog. It will depend on specific tasks you want and what will fit into your life. If you need a dog to do guide work or make you feel protected and you're tall, you'll need a large dog. If you want a dog that can sit on your lap in a restaurant for stimulation, a smaller breed will be better.

Good luck! There is a lot of service dog info here if you search around

Check out the Bouvier des Flandres breed. They are used more and more as service dogs all the time because of their very calm and steady nature. They are very loyal, and make excellent service dogs.

Contact Sue Matthews if you want to chat, she has raised and trained several Bouviers as service dogs, and has a wealth of information.

milos_mommy

I find the bouvier suggestion to be a bit disagreeable.

I'm sure many bouvs are great service dogs, however:

They are not a breed recommended for beginners, they need a strong trainer and careful/experienced socialization. They can be extremely protective, moreso than a typical owner would be comfortable with. They can be prone to aggression towards other animals. They need a lot of exercise and stimulation, require professional grooming, and are often "too much" dog for someone looking for an average pet, even a highly trainable one.

For an experienced dog owner or trainer a bouv might be a great service dog choice, but for someone who's only dog experience is with average family pet type breeds, I'd recommend many breeds before a bouv.

You make some valid points on the Bouv, however, I do not find them very difficult to handle if you have an interest in training, etc. Our Bouv has actually been easier than our shih tzu, in many ways. LOL!

Members online