What is my dogs breed?

milos_mommy

I wouldn't jump to Australian shepherd, though it's possible! He's a beautiful dog. How large is he?

My guess would be something bracycephalic like a Boston terrier, bulldog, French bulldog, or a pit bull mix, with something like Australian cattle dog. H could even have some husky in there. Does he get along with other dogs? Or show any herding like tendencies?

Maxy24

Yeah I was going to say I see some husky or akita and American Bulldog (though if he was intentionally docked as a pup maybe one of the parents was a boxer). Australian Shepherd is certainly possible, but there's a whole lot going on there.

4-Amigos

He is about between 30-50 pounds. I'm bad at guessing weight. He is going to the vet soon so I'll let you know then. But he is good with other dogs, he hasn't shown any herding behavior yet but I've only had him for 1 day.

They aren't sure about any of his history as he was a stray. Would he have a scar on his tail if they docked his tail other than born naturally?

Thank you all.

milos_mommy

Yes, Docking often leaves a scar especially if it's done by someone inexperienced. A boxer or bulldog mom or Aussie/cattle dog mom would result in cropping so I think there's a good chance it's intentional as all those breeds are likely.

So many people guessing American Bulldog!!! I don't see that! The Am Bulls I've known have had less smushed faces than his so I would assume boxer or a smaller bulldog type dog, especially since he's likely mixed with something less brachy.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
He cannot be boxer/bulldog x ACD because he is merle and neither of those breeds are merle.

So many people guessing American Bulldog!!! I don't see that! The Am Bulls I've known have had less smushed faces than his so I would assume boxer or a smaller bulldog type dog, especially since he's likely mixed with something less brachy.
I also think he would probably be bigger. Genetics can be cray, but I don't think an AB cross is likely to give a 30-50# mix unless the other half was teensy.

Some kind of herder with some kind of smoosh face is what I'm willing to commit to. ;)

4-Amigos

I just put a new picture of his whole face on the link. His profile when I adopted him was that he was a 2 year old miniature Australian Shepherd mix.

Thank you all for your guesses on him :) I really appreciate it. I actually find it fun trying to figure out a dog's breed when he is a mix. :)

milos_mommy

I also think he would probably be bigger. Genetics can be cray, but I don't think an AB cross is likely to give a 30-50# mix unless the other half was teensy.
Ehh, I've known 2 confirmed American bully X boxers and both were 60-65 lbs, so I think mixed with a smaller herder that wouldn't be too off. Still, American Bulldog would surprise me a lot more than Boxer, English Bulldog, etc.

Members online

No members online now.