Disc Dog Training

SaraB

I do have a question, what is the difference between a vault, a reverse vault, and a rebound? OH wait maybe I just figured it out, is a reverse vault and a rebound just the same thing?
In this thread, we have been calling a move where the dog uses the handler's body to jump for the disc a vault. A reverse vault is one where the dog turns off of the handler's body and goes back in the direction they came from. A linear vault is where the dog does not turn mid-air and continues straight while using the handler's body to get the disc. A rebound is basically a box-turn off the handler's body, they hit the handler and then turn back in the direction they came from, no disc involved.

Of course, these moves have different names in different areas around the country.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Getting ready for next weekend! Working a lot on rollers, building drive, "through", and "overs".

So. Much. Fun.

Our own discs are in! HUZZAH!

krissy

Still working on catch percentage... but I'm happy with the drive and effort, and also the return has improved significantly which I'm thrilled about.

[YOUTUBE]oO1CkfK5aAE[/YOUTUBE]

DJEtzel

Stopped at a park and jammed with Recon in the mud during a light drizzle... Decided to add in an air bounce to our routine for this Saturday (debuting in freestyle!) and tried it out of a few times. Even though my discs were wet, I got a few with some decent rise- catchable and passable as an air bounce, at least! Pretty excited for that, wasn't expecting to pull it off. Will be throwing a lot between now and then.

I hear Andrew Han is judging, hopefully the air bounce helps my freestyle score. Lmao.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Go Kili go!!

Catch percentage here with both dogs is still... meh. Cajun is pretty good as long as my throw is decently catchable (and I will freely admit I SUCK at throwing. Worst person ever). Juno's just really not good lol I know there's a "me" component there as well. Sometimes I try to make excuses by saying her smushy face is the problem. :p

krissy

Go Kili go!!

Catch percentage here with both dogs is still... meh. Cajun is pretty good as long as my throw is decently catchable (and I will freely admit I SUCK at throwing. Worst person ever). Juno's just really not good lol I know there's a "me" component there as well. Sometimes I try to make excuses by saying her smushy face is the problem. :p
Ha ha. We can't claim the smooshie face here, but she does bounce quite a few off her nose it seems. If the throw is perfect she's pretty much 100%. But she sucks at tracking the disc if it is anything other than a level throw right in front of her. She's gotten better though. She now typically can catch discs that require all 4 feet to leave the ground. She just isn't good at all if she overruns (underruns?) the disc, or if the disc fades to one side or the other all hope is lost. lol

DJEtzel

Resurrecting this thread!

Patton is *finally* starting some flatwork freestyle stuff. He's so big and powerful that I really really love how it's looking! :p We're considering entering freestyle next month. :p

[youtube]4CSO8FRbowU[/youtube]

krissy

Awesome! That looks great! I'm jealous of your indoor facility. We had a nice indoor place back in Ontario that we went to, but nothing like that exists in Edmonton. Super sucks.

We are hopefully going to a disc dog "play date" next month though! I'm really excited, but in typical female dog fashion I'm betting we won't get to go because Kili will come into season. I just keep waiting for it! :popcorn:

DJEtzel

Awesome! That looks great! I'm jealous of your indoor facility. We had a nice indoor place back in Ontario that we went to, but nothing like that exists in Edmonton. Super sucks.

We are hopefully going to a disc dog "play date" next month though! I'm really excited, but in typical female dog fashion I'm betting we won't get to go because Kili will come into season. I just keep waiting for it! :popcorn:
I am *SO* lucky to have this place only 10 minutes from me and to get to use it for free twice a week. I am counting my blessings!

Can't wait to hear how your play date goes. I'll be crossing my fingers that she doesn't go into heat quite yet.

Two weeks until our first outdoor comp of the year. Recon is injured so Patton will be playing freestyle and the P boys will both be playing toss and fetch. Hoping to drag Meagan along, and hoping Ashley will be there!?

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I am *SO* lucky to have this place only 10 minutes from me and to get to use it for free twice a week. I am counting my blessings!

Can't wait to hear how your play date goes. I'll be crossing my fingers that she doesn't go into heat quite yet.

Two weeks until our first outdoor comp of the year. Recon is injured so Patton will be playing freestyle and the P boys will both be playing toss and fetch. Hoping to drag Meagan along, and hoping Ashley will be there!?
When and where?

JacksonsMom

I am going to start working on disc again this spring! This was Jackson as of last summer:

[YOUTUBE]6nIGjuLrkTQ[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly I know he would be a lot better if I knew how to throw the discs better. I don't practice enough for myself so making that a goal to get out and practice w/o a dog.

Also Lola (pictured in avatar) is my moms puppy (*cough* turned into mine) and she's got majorrrr drive for the disc, I'm SO excited to start working with her too. She's 6 1/2 months old now.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
We're supposed to go to a disc play date in a couple weeks. Hopefully the weather cooperates since it's outdoors!
How's the disc going with Kili?? Any new tricks? :p
Play dates are fun. :) We're going to one this weekend. Haven't done an outdoor one with Cajun yet so it might be interesting lol she's just used to playing at our usual parks with no one around. :eek:

I really need to start working on putting together some sequences. We have a decent selection of tricks in our arsenal and it'd probably be more fun to play if there was some sort of flow to what we're doing lol.

krissy

How's the disc going with Kili?? Any new tricks? :p
Play dates are fun. :) We're going to one this weekend. Haven't done an outdoor one with Cajun yet so it might be interesting lol she's just used to playing at our usual parks with no one around. :eek:
Good! Her toss and fetch game is getting pretty solid now, so we'll be starting to try to string some back and forth together. No new tricks. She has her leg vault. I really want to get a back vault, but I need a helper for that, so I'm hoping we can go to some play dates to get that one going.

I'm not sure how she'll react to the playdate with other dogs around. We shall see!

DJEtzel

I really want to start a disc club in the area so that we can have playdates! lol

Right now we just play alone or with a friend here or there at training.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I really want to start a disc club in the area so that we can have playdates! lol
Do it :p

Cajun did much better at the playdate today than I thought she would. I thought she'd be way too distracted or nervous to actually play. Or that she'd just take off and want to go up to every dog and person. But much to my surprise she played! She was a little wild at first but whatever lol.

krissy

I need to find a friend who can operate a DSLR. This self-timer stuff for action shots... FRUSTRATING!

Hip/chest rebound

Leg vault - take off

Leg vault - the landing

Leg vault - the launch

Picklepaige

Okay, I am seriously impressed, Krissy! I don't think I've ever seen a disc dog greyhound, and I've certainly never seen a greyhound doing tricks like that! She looks so big and long-legged to be doing rebounds and vaults, but it looks like she's doing them very nicely.

Members online

No members online now.