I bought a flirt pole!!

My dog is broken

My pup won't play with a flirt pole. At a play-oriented seminar, the clinician watched us for half a minute and told me to get a flirt pole: that is my dog's game.

So I did. And he is completely uninterested. He stands back and stares at me like I've finally fallen off my rocker. I've gotten other dogs and puppies to play with it, so I don't think my technique is broken. My dog is broken:rolleyes:.

It makes me sad because, well, these glowing posts full of manic flirt pole photos.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Roxie for some odd reason is terrified of flirt poles. She's fine once you take the toy off, but the second you tie a toy to the flirt, she shuts down.

Makes me sad cuz I think she'd really enjoy it, if I could ever get her to stop being afraid.

DJEtzel

DJEtzel

Question time! Why can't you do Flirtpole with dogs that are training in IPO?
Flirt poles are used for rag work with puppies to teach them all of the schutzhund foundations that get them up to biting pillows and sleeves. Proper carrying, cradling, barking and biting are taught during this. I don't have the confidence to be training that, which is why I go to a helper. :p They know the timing and how to manipulate the dog best.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Flirt poles are used for rag work with puppies to teach them all of the schutzhund foundations that get them up to biting pillows and sleeves. Proper carrying, cradling, barking and biting are taught during this. I don't have the confidence to be training that, which is why I go to a helper. :p They know the timing and how to manipulate the dog best.
I did not even know this!
Man, now I'm going to obsessively research schutzhund and flirt poles.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
SO, UPDATE. I HAVE THE FLIRT POLE. I have tested it upon the two doges.

And unfortunately, not too into it. LOL. Oh well, I will save it for my future GSD. :rofl1:

Rara is actually decently interested, but ONLY if I pick up the plushie thing at the end and squeak it. She's REALLY into squeaking toys, so when I wave it immediately after squeaking, she chases it down.. but only for about 5~10 seconds. Once she's caught it (or too much time has passed), she thinks "my job is done here" and leaves. I can repeat the squeaking cycle+chase about 10 times before she totally loses interest in the entire thing.

Lancer is just a giant oaf and has no idea what we are doing. He watches me playing with Rara and turns into a crying ball of worry, whimpering and barking at us like "I DON'T UNDERSTAAAAND WHAT IS THIS, I DON'T GET IT" and being generally 100% confused.

When I try to get him to finally PLAY it though, he just kinda paws at it and looks up at me in extremely worried confusion.

Try different toys on the end? You mentioned Lancer loves tennis balls. Punch a couple holes in a ball, thread a rope through with a screwdriver and tie it on there.

FG167

Question time! Why can't you do Flirtpole with dogs that are training in IPO?
The hubs (also the president of our IPO club, the training director, and the helper LOL) uses it to teach proper barking/prey drive/and grip work. Kastle has a crap grip (that's genetic) but Jentry's is REALLY nice, so I wanted her to have the best foundation to build on that as possible. I've got videos of him working with her as a pup if you want to see "what" he does exactly. He's excellent with getting young pups interested in it (Jentry did not need much encouragement fortunately).

Where in the world are you training IPO on the west side? Gustavo? We had a terrible time finding an affordable, good club (not 3+ hours away) when I lived there. If we ever move back, we'll be starting our own club.

DJEtzel

Where in the world are you training IPO on the west side? Gustavo? We had a terrible time finding an affordable, good club (not 3+ hours away) when I lived there. If we ever move back, we'll be starting our own club.
Lol I started reading your reply and got through "where in the world are you training IPO" and my heart sank because I thought you were going to say I do it wrong/my knowledge was all off. Whew. Hahaha. Ok...

I drive over 3 hrs for training, so I'm in the same boat you were. Lol.

Please move back and start a club. PLEASE. I'LL HELP WITH WHATEVER YOU WANT.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Try different toys on the end? You mentioned Lancer loves tennis balls. Punch a couple holes in a ball, thread a rope through with a screwdriver and tie it on there.
I forgot to mention that I did try this- and he's just a little more interested, but basically still does not understand. LOOL
He kinda walks after it... and stops and looks at me like, "This.. this isn't fetch." :hail:

Members online

No members online now.