Has your dog ever donated blood??

We used to with our first greyhound. He loved it. All kinds of attention, lots of treats, he actually looked forward to going. When he passed away they actually covered the cremation costs (included a nice box with his name on it and a footprint). Holly couldn't donate because she has a heart murmur.

We haven't looked into it for our other two, Rig because I don't think he'd like to be away from us for that long, and Jesse because it would scare him.

It wouldn't hurt to look into it, they usually cover the cost of an wellness exam and blood tests. Ours used to give us a free bag of food every so many donations, yearly wellness exam/blood tests, heartworm prevention, and cremation/urn. I've heard they cut most of that out now.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Both Keena and Rage donated back in July, I took them in because we had an emergency splenectomy who had been bleeding into her abdomen for a while, and Doc wanted fresh whole blood for her. Totally worth it in our case, dog was awesome, family was awesome, she made it through... my girls did great, didn't even sedate Keena. I don't know how you'd go about finding a place that would be collecting/storing/freezing, etc and doesn't already do the greyhound-thing? But yea, I found it very rewarding, but that's mostly because I saw the dog they donated to, so I was very close to the situation/could see how much they'd helped that family.

You can do that!?!? Whaaaat??? That's crazy! and cool! and I guess.. yea that makes sense...

I don't think Toby would be allowed to donate blood though, this 2 year old boy has cancer :/

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I wanted to do that with Juno, but she's on medication and not UTD on vaccines so she can't. But otherwise her size/temperament leaves her as a great candidate.

xpaeanx

I seem to be having trouble finding a place to donate locally. I'd be interested in donating if I could find one. LOL.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Friends I work with have post-parvo adult dogs that will donate blood when they've in the past had parvo pups come into the shelter (or for other shelters), my dogs are all too little.

krissy

Summit was a blood donor when I was in vet school. If the dog has the appropriate temperament then it can be a great way to help out other dogs. Most blood banks will screen dogs for temperament. Summit could have cared less. They freeze the site with EMLA cream so they barely even seem to feel it.

None of my current dogs have, but a former dog (a greyhound) was when I was in vet school. That's how I got her, actually, fostered and then permanently adopted through their blood donor program.

It really was no big deal to her. She'd just lay around and sleep. Sometimes we'd be in there as often as she was able to draw blood (I don't even remember the interval) and sometimes we would go 6-8 months without donating, it just depended on how many blood products they needed.

Grab

Aesop has donated several times :) He finds it no big deal :) He's the only one I have that is over 60 lbs, so the only one who can donate. That said, the emergency center in Vegas does blood drives now and again, and they allow both 40 and up and 60 and up (depending on the amount donated). I'm thinking of having the dogs be on list as donors there since they give you a full blood screen, and you get a credit on file for the amount of blood you've donated (should your dog heaven forbid ever need a transfusion).

We actually just went in for the preliminary exam and blood typing last Monday. Results should be back next week and if he's the universal type, Garp will be donating with TCABB.

jackson67

OMG!!! Really? I rarely hear about donating blood in my country! But if it can help other dog, i'd love to do it though i will a little bit hurting when seeing my beloved boy doing that :( But after doing it, will it make him more healthy huh?:rolleyes:

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I've looked into it before but from what I could tell there's not much in the way of clinics out here. And the one clinic that does is about an hour away and rarely seems to have appointments. (At least from what I remember)

:(

I'd definitely be interested otherwise. Cobain has always done well at vets offices and with needles.

Locke

I volunteer with a blood donor clinic, and if I had a 60+ lb dog that would tolerate it, I would sign them up for sure.

Basically what happens is the dog lays down on their side, their jugular area is shaved, a needle is inserted into the vein, and the pump machine is turned on, and it helps suck their blood into the bag in about 2 mins.
It's very fast, and none of the dogs seem affected by it at all.

One of my (now deceased) danes donated as needed for the clinic I worked at. She was a great donor - she just sat there quiet as a church mouse while we took the blood. It was always such a great feeling to be able to see firsthand the patients her blood was helping.

Neither of my current dogs have donated. Ditto may be a tad too small to be a donor, and Corvus would contaminate the recipient with evil if they used his blood. :p

Dekka

Just try me..
Its too bad Dekka is so small. She would be a good candidate I think. Very high pain threshold and thinks going to the vet is fun. IF there were cookies and nice scritchies she woud be happy.

Our Lab has done it several times. There's no canine blood bank here (I'm not sure about other places) so the vet would ask if I could go get him if she had a dog that needed a transfusion. They gave him a mild sedative just to make sure he stayed relatively still. Happily all the dogs he's done transfusions for have bounded back. Side effect was one gassy Lab for the next 24 hours. Ugh.

Members online

No members online now.